Jump to content

Mike Farrell on Harsin


AU-24
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Well we told him no before it got any farther but as you say is really doesn't matter. 

BN has all the money his ask for at UF just got approved for $2 million budget for recruiting which is a 55% increase from last year. UGA is $3.6 million BN better start showing results now.

I didn't say it didn't matter, thats no where in my post.

So he asked for massive salary and staff budget and we said No. Right?

I agree. BN got a lot of money for his staff and doesn't seem to be doing well. Already and open letter to fans. 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites





1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I didn't say it didn't matter, thats no where in my post.

So he asked for massive salary and staff budget and we said No. Right?

I agree. BN got a lot of money for his staff and doesn't seem to be doing well. Already and open letter to fans. 

If that's how it happened, he won, we lost. 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GunsmithAU said:

If that's how it happened, he won, we lost. 

It's early but it looks like Florida might lose...which would probably make us winners avoiding that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's early but it looks like Florida might lose...which would probably make us winners avoiding that

 He hasn't even coached a game there yet. He does however have a great resume, including learning from the best, and there is no indication that UF won't be better off under him. 

Trying to compare his 6 months at UF to the train wreck that is Harsin is insane if you're picking winner and loser today. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

 He hasn't even coached a game there yet. He does however have a great resume, including learning from the best, and there is no indication that UF won't be better off under him. 

Trying to compare his 6 months at UF to the train wreck that is Harsin is insane if you're picking winner and loser today. 

I'm not comparing then to each other.

He's getting it handed to him in recruiting right now. Fans are already mad. We'll see how it ends

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Stoops, Kiffin, Freeze

I’m gonna walk out on a really short limb and assume not Bob.

I understand folks being enamored with Kiffin and Freeze. I’m just not there yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Didba said:

People complain about in game coaching decisions.  Kiffin lost last year to us because he wouldn't kick a field goal.  I'm all for analytics and shiz but that was very bad.

The Alabama and Auburn games had some ugly analytical decisions, but the stuff he pulled was the difference between being top ~7 and being top ~15. And that wasn’t with a particularly talented team. In a macro sense, that was one of the better coaching jobs of the season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you give me a coach who’s like a guaranteed floor of 9 wins, who’s decisions will occasionally net you an Alabama win or an ugly Alabama loss, I would take that. The latter was the best attribute of Gus + you tack on an extra win or 2. 
 

now Lane could still flame out. Who knows? But I would trust him to do more with less talent wise than many options…and I think we might have to field less talent for the foreseeable future 

 

(not calling for Harsin to be fired) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's early but it looks like Florida might lose...which would probably make us winners avoiding that

Definitely too early for even a guess at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Totally respect what you’re saying. This is Philip Marshall’s take on what really goes on behind the scenes. I tend to believe this, which is why I think we could still get one of the best coaches in the country. If the reason we can’t, is because the SEC West is too tough, hopefully that will change when the conference expands. Just my two cents.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/PMARSHONAU-Monday-reflections-from-Auburn-and-beyond-189314474/

Here’s reality:

Most people who talk about boosters are really talking about trustees. Those trustees, as well as boosters who are not trustees, are free to have their opinions heard. That does not mean they get their way. If it did mean that, neither Gene Chizik nor Gus Malzahn nor Bryan Harsin would have been Auburn’s head coach.

It’s kind of amusing to hear talk about those trustees and/or boosters wanting access to the program, wanting to “hang around” the athletic department and stand on the sideline. None of those things happen. The other popular mantra is that they want to control the head coach. What do they want to control? What can they control? Again, they are free to express their opinions. The head coach is free to listen or not. They have no leverage to force a head coach do anything. Trustees and boosters have influence in every program. Many of them have more influence than any individual has at Auburn.

No matter what you hear, that’s the truth of the situation.

Hold up. I've heard multiple people state on On3 that they witnessed one of our boosters go over and yell at Tommy Tuberville one time during an Arkansas game. In turn Tubs banned said booster from the sidelines after that.

I know we don't do "rumors" around here, but multiple people claim it happened. No clue, but always found that interesting. I would think if you're paying a s*** ton of money you'd get sideline passes, so it doesn't seem far-fetched to me that they could at least be standing there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If you give me a coach who’s like a guaranteed floor of 9 wins, who’s decisions will occasionally net you an Alabama win or an ugly Alabama loss, I would take that. The latter was the best attribute of Gus + you tack on an extra win or 2. 
 

now Lane could still flame out. Who knows? But I would trust him to do more with less talent wise than many options…and I think we might have to field less talent for the foreseeable future 

 

(not calling for Harsin to be fired) 

I’m confused by this. You’re conceding that Auburn is going to field less talent for the foreseeable future, but advocating for Harsin to keep his job. Makes me think that you’re ok with Harsin downgrading our roster for a couple of more years, and putting us in a tougher situation with whoever coaches next. Why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, au302 said:

Hold up. I've heard multiple people state on On3 that they witnessed one of our boosters go over and yell at Tommy Tuberville one time during an Arkansas game. In turn Tubs banned said booster from the sidelines after that.

I know we don't do "rumors" around here, but multiple people claim it happened. No clue, but always found that interesting. I would think if you're paying a s*** ton of money you'd get sideline passes, so it doesn't seem far-fetched to me that they could at least be standing there.

That “rumors” thing appears to have flown the coop this year. At least, if it applies to everyone on the board….

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That “rumors” thing appears to have flown the coop this year. At least, if it applies to everyone on the board….

I probably shouldn't have posted it. Figured since people claim they actually saw it rather than hear-say and it's more of a funny rumor (banned from the sidelines, lol) than malicious like racism or cheating I'd post it. Mods can obviously delete if need be

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The Alabama and Auburn games had some ugly analytical decisions, but the stuff he pulled was the difference between being top ~7 and being top ~15. And that wasn’t with a particularly talented team. In a macro sense, that was one of the better coaching jobs of the season 

The thing is, as long as he doesn't destroy the statistical model, he will come out ahead more often than not. 

Kiffin would he an amazing hire. Hopefully we can pull a tubbs 2.0 and steal him from ole miss. 

Edited by GunsmithAU
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait Lane Kiffen will be an amazing hire? I love our fans. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Wait Lane Kiffen will be an amazing hire? I love our fans. 

There is a reason no high profile program has picked him up from Ole Miss.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

There is a reason no high profile program has picked him up from Ole Miss.

I am not trying to bash him. He is a decent coach but amazing ? Amazing to me would be Urban Meyer out of forced retirement from the pros 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DAG said:

I am not trying to bash him. He is a decent coach but amazing ? Amazing to me would be Urban Meyer out of forced retirement from the pros 

Urban sans recent baggage? Yeah, lane is below that.

I'd guess he's probably on the next tier after unattainable coaches. He'd get media hype, but idk he's a worse recruiter than Harsin and typically has an awful defense. 

Lane would be with Aranada or Fickle. Not sure any other P5 coaches would be on our true radar.

After that it would be Coordinators

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

 

He's getting it handed to him in recruiting right now. Fans are already mad.

Sounds exactly like us. We got a commitment yesterday but we’re no better off tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That “rumors” thing appears to have flown the coop this year. At least, if it applies to everyone on the board….

It’s not a rumor. It was on TV and the booster was JR.  not sure about banned part afterwards.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DAG said:

I am not trying to bash him. He is a decent coach but amazing ? Amazing to me would be Urban Meyer out of forced retirement from the pros 

Oh, definitely agree. I think Kiffen is a really good coach. Would he be an upgrade? Yes, I think so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Sounds exactly like us. We got a commitment yesterday but we’re no better off tbh

I certainly agree we need more (recruits) than what we have now. I don’t agree we are “no better off”. A 4 star RB is extremely helpful and this one looks like a great recruit. As far as quality we are high in the SEC just need more of them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Oh, definitely agree. I think Kiffen is a really good coach. Would he be an upgrade? Yes, I think so.

What do you base that on? Harsin beat him head to head last year and also out tecruited him with one less recruit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...