4 star WR Karmello English Decommits from Auburn

Sizzle

Thats a good get from a school Auburn has struggled with for years.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Auburn adds 4-star WR Karmello English

4 minutes ago

Auburn, Alabama | Auburn got some extra fireworks to celebrate July 4. Karmello English, a 4-star wide receiver out of Central Phenix City, made a surprise announcement and committed to Auburn on Monday. 

English was originally scheduled to commit on Saturday, July 2, but pushed it back due to personal reasons. He didn't have to wait long, committing just a couple of days later.

Wide receiver coach Ike Hilliard was a big reason why he landed on Auburn over Kentucky, Michigan, Alabama and some other top schools.

“Really the relationship, really," English said. "Always Coach Ike, like I said, he’s kept it real with me, he always realistic. He don’t tell me what I want to hear, he tells me what I need to hear.”

The recruitment of English to Auburn had been an up-and-down one, with Auburn trending early on dating back to last fall only to slip out of it. But once Hilliard was hired, it was flipped on its head. Hilliard got Auburn right back in it quickly and now has a commitment from him.

English is the fourth commit of Auburn's class, joining 4-star center Bradyn Joiner, 4-star safety Terrance Love and 4-star running back Jeremiah Cobb. English is Auburn's highest-rated recruit at No. 141 in the 247Sports Composite and is the No. 23 wide receiver. He is the No. 13 player in the state of Alabama, marking the third 4-star from Alabama to commit to Auburn in the 2023 class.

As a junior at Central Phenix City English racked up 70 receptions for 1,059 yards and 18 touchdowns.

English is listed at 5-foot-11, 175 pounds, but is viewed as a guy who can play on the outside at Auburn.

247Sports scouting report on English:

"Appears to have an athletic build with an explosive lower half. Has the room to add additional weight to his frame at the next level.

"Displays above average athletic ability at the receiver position. Shows the ability to line up inside out but takes most of his snaps inside as a slot. Appears to have above average short area quickness and change of direction ability. Possesses some slight hip and ankle stiffness that inhibit separation ability but overcompensates with his ability to play big and utilize his frame.

"Exhibits adequate to above average play speed. Wins with physicality and explosiveness at the catch point. Flashes some excellent 50/50 ball skills. Shows some production after the catch but more of short to intermediate route runner with possession ability. Plays bigger than his size dictates, has some edge to his play style. Has the ability to add value on multiple special teams units at the next level. Projects to a multi-year starter at a Power Five program."

9C0C3829-425E-4822-A03B-FBEBE842B5C8.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

We are also now 12th in the SEC passing Vandy and Kentucky. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think that means we got the #1WR and #1RB in Alabama . Both great pick-ups. Still good in overall quality too ( I believe 3rd behind Ala/UGA). Great job AU!!

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Just that he is new. After he is committed for a certain amount of time it changes.

jacknicholson-nod.gif.c5f93fb546337286d61e8ae1af1d894d.gif

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think that means we got the #1WR and #1RB in Alabama . Both great pick-ups. Still good in overall quality too ( I believe 3rd behind Ala/UGA). Great job AU!!

By average recruit rating we are #7 in the country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 4

59 minutes ago, CR said:

Thats a good get from a school Auburn has struggled with for years.

And that might be more telling about our WR coach Hilliard. 

To only play and coach in the NFL, but never at the college level or being involved in college recruiting.....then to get a top level WR out of the school we always struggle to sign a top player from...tells us something of how good Hilliard is as a recruiter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Baby steps

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

To only play and coach in the NFL, but never at the college level or being involved in college recruiting.....then to get a top level WR out of the school we always struggle to sign a top player from...tells us something of how good Hilliard is as a recruiter.

Definitely a good sign. Hopefully he stays on staff for awhile. If he does.... watch out 

I look at average rating per recruit  more so than recruiting rankings.

• Like 3

Great pickup. #1 guys at WR and RB secure. Props to Caddy and Ike. Keep working. Now let's get our QB locked in and then some OL. One at a time

31 minutes ago, Zeek said:

By average recruit rating we are #7 in the country.

So last week you made a pretty pessimistic post, which concerned me a bit bc you are a reasonable guy.

Are you feeling better now or were these expected and factored into your previous analysis?

24 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And how good Harsin was to hire him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

And how good Harsin was to hire him.

And a testament to Harsin that Hilliard wanted to come work for him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

So last week you made a pretty pessimistic post, which concerned me a bit bc you are a reasonable guy.

Are you feeling better now or were these expected and factored into your previous analysis?

I expected Cobb and Enlgish (The delay from English initially had me panicking). My concern still is out there. Faulk is supposed to be committing elsewhere which looks really bad for us and McElderry going to Alabama is a hard pill to swallow.

Offensive Line is just a murky issue right now with no clear answers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I expected Cobb and Enlgish (The delay from English initially had me panicking). My concern still is out there. Faulk is supposed to be committing elsewhere which looks really bad for us and McElderry going to Alabama is a hard pill to swallow.

Offensive Line is just a murky issue right now with no clear answers.

Zeek, with losing Faulk, Osborne looks headed to Clemson and Darron Reed commited to LSU, it seems like DL recruiting is going almost as poorly as OL. Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, CR said:

Zeek, with losing Faulk, Osborne looks headed to Clemson and Darron Reed commited to LSU, it seems like DL recruiting is going almost as poorly as OL. Thoughts?

That doesn't concern me as much because there are SO many options on the defensive line. For what it's worth we really didn't value Osborne very highly and Reed was a long shot. Wilky Denaud comes to mind and a few others.

Plus I think DL are easier to land and evaluate through the portal/juco

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

That doesn't concern me as much because there are SO many options on the defensive line. For what it's worth we really didn't value Osborne very highly and Reed was a long shot. Wilky Denaud comes to mind and a few others.

Plus I think DL are easier to land and evaluate through the portal/juco

I asked over on On3 about Juco's yesterday and Keith said that he knows we're looking at at least 2 Juco DL right now. People won't like that but I'm cool with it because of our success with Juco's over the years.

OL is murky like you said. Our OT board specifically seems small. I've seen some chatter that we have a couple quiet OT targets that were scout finds that the staff is trying to keep under wraps, but who knows if that's true.