4 star WR Karmello English Decommits from Auburn

Sizzle

3 hours ago, peashooter said:

I read where both liked English but had other players prioritized. Georgia is after at least one 5 star. Bama signed a big wr class last year, so they can only take a few. The problem is that if those schools don't get the ones they wanted more and come back to English...will he reconsider? Getting a commitment is just the first step. 

Bama just got a commit from the #1 Juco player WR (Malik Benson) and they got the Oklahoma kid (4* WR) Cole Adams last week I think + the portal WR's they pulled in the spring?  They've addressed their WR guys so maybe they won't come heavy for English. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Zeek changed the title to 4 star WR Karmello English Decommits from Auburn
  • Zeek unpinned this topic
On 7/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, Sizzle said:

Looking into what happened. It sucks but slot WR is low on our needs list and we're about to pickup another 4* commitment at receiver.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Looking into what happened. It sucks but slot WR is low on our needs list and we're about to pickup another 4* commitment at receiver.

That's what I think happened, actually - I wonder if he saw nothing but bodies ahead of him and low chances for early playing time.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

That's what I think happened, actually - I wonder if he saw nothing but bodies ahead of him and low chances for early playing time.

We have a lot of eligibility left in the slot. There are some serious concerns about his academics too. Though we know certain other schools will work around it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Karmello was our highest ranked commit on the 247 composite. 

We are now dead last in the SEC. 

Nothing new. We've bounced back and forth from last to 13th/12th a bunch. Need a win this weekend in the worst kind of way.

Auburn loses commitment of 4-star WR Karmello English

ByCHRISTIAN CLEMENTE 23 minutes ago

Share9 Comments

Auburn lost the commitment of its highest-rated player in the class to date on Wednesday. Karmello English, a 4-star wide receiver and the No. 162 player in the 247Sports Composite, announced his decision to back off his Auburn pledge.

"First and foremost I would like to thank God and the University of Auburn and there great coaching staff," English said in a Twitter announcement. "I am grateful to the staff for providing me a(n) opportunity to represent WDE as a student-athlete... I have had several conversations with my family and have came to a difficult decision... I will be decommitting from the University of Auburn and reopening my recruitment."

The news comes just a few weeks after English visited for the Mercer game and noted that Alabama, Kentucky, Michigan and Mississippi State were still actively recruiting him. At the time, though, English reaffirmed his commitment to Auburn and said he felt "great" about Auburn. English also told reporters he may take visits to other schools, but noted his best relationship with a coach was at Auburn with Ike Hilliard.

With the loss of English's commitment Auburn is down to seven commitments in the Class of 2023 and No. 61 in the 247Sports Composite team rankings. Auburn's seven commitments is the lowest in the SEC, with every other team holding at least 11 commitments. 

At wide receiver Auburn still holds the commitment of 4-star wide receiver Daquayvious Sorey of Chipley, Florida, and is the heavy Crystal Ball favorite to land 4-star wide receiver Adam Hopkins out of Thomasville, Georgia, on Thursday when he announces his commitment.

Sponsored Content

Discover your next role.

Jobs in healthcare that find you. Employers that want you. Make your move.

By Indeed

LEARN MORE

English's decommitment from Auburn is the latest turn in what has been a very up-and-down recruitment. After Auburn was in the mix heavily last fall, the Tigers had seemingly slipped out of his recruitment entirely. Then, after deciding to visit Auburn and Hilliard in the spring, the Tigers were back in the mix. Eventually by the end of June, Auburn had emerged as the favorite. With a commitment date set for July 2, English ended up delaying his commitment which caused some panic among Auburn fans, but he announced his commitment to Auburn just a few days later on July 4.

32 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Ahhh yes, our WR's having a combined 15 receptions after 2 games really must have spooked him from a playing-time perspective 😂.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

40 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s AUBURN UNIVERSITY! Not the other way around. 

Yeah, if he doesn’t know by now it’s AUBURN UNIVERSITY, I’m not sure how committed he ever was.

• Like 1

It is what it is at the moment. We are in Vandy territory when it comes to recruiting. Dead last in the SEC at the moment… let that sink in. 
And before anybody says that he was a grade risk, we knew that when we took his commitment. 
Honestly we are about to receive another commitment from a wide receiver who is good, but as a whole this perception is terrible. We only have seven commitments with three months left to recruit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s AUBURN UNIVERSITY! Not the other way around. 

Right!?!?!   And also it’s “their”, and it’s God with a capital G unless you are referring to mythology or Hinduism.   
I know, I know.   My bad.  

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Taco said:

We can be negative or we can think positively. 

This opens up another spot for an offensive lineman down the road 🤗

Exactly!  That’s what I’m going to tell my wife about our current checking account being low after replacing our HVAC units — it opens up ample room for more money down the road.  

Edited by aubcali
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Right, but even if this is the case, why is our #1 receiver target a guy who is a long shot academically? None of this is good from any angle.

I mean you don’t not go after him.  Get him and then have a backup plan if things don’t work out.  

22 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I mean you don’t not go after him.  Get him and then have a backup plan if things don’t work out.  

No, that is wrong. Your #1 target at a position can NOT be a guy that isn't guaranteed to qualify. That is very poor recruiting strategy. What you are describing only works if English is the #2 or #3 guy that you're looking to sign at WR. So sure, if you have some other 5-star WR committed then no harm in targeting a guy who might not qualify as a cherry on top. But it doesn't work in reverse.

I'm just talking hypothetically to break down your statement. There is no indication that this decommitment has anything to do with his academics. I'm only pointing out that even if what you said is true (I heard the same suggestions about his grades when he committed), that it isn't very smart by the coaches to allocate their top priority at WR on a kid who might not qualify.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Taco said:

We can be negative or we can think positively. 

This opens up another spot for an offensive lineman down the road 🤗

Well there are plenty of open spots that is for sure. I don’t think we even used all of our scholarships last year. I imagine if we could take six OL Today we would. 

2 hours ago, metafour said:

No, that is wrong. Your #1 target at a position can NOT be a guy that isn't guaranteed to qualify. That is very poor recruiting strategy. What you are describing only works if English is the #2 or #3 guy that you're looking to sign at WR. So sure, if you have some other 5-star WR committed then no harm in targeting a guy who might not qualify as a cherry on top. But it doesn't work in reverse.

I'm just talking hypothetically to break down your statement. There is no indication that this decommitment has anything to do with his academics. I'm only pointing out that even if what you said is true (I heard the same suggestions about his grades when he committed), that it isn't very smart by the coaches to allocate their top priority at WR on a kid who might not qualify.

Harsin makes me angry!

6 hours ago, metafour said:

Ahhh yes, our WR's having a combined 15 receptions after 2 games really must have spooked him from a playing-time perspective 😂.

Exactly there’s not one guy on that WR depth chart that should scare any WR recruit from coming here. He probably looked at the QB’s throwing them the ball and was like “nope”

• Like 2