Big Cat Recruiting Weekend

toddc

Jacorious Hart 3* db from Alabama 

• toddc changed the title to Big Cat Recruiting Weekend (Update 7/21/22)

Recruiting Insider: Saturday afternoon thoughts

Jeremiah Cobb Jeremiah Cobb will announce a commitment soon. (Photo: Jeffrey Lee/AuburnLiveOn3)

Here’s a little Auburn recruiting intel on this Saturday afternoon in late July …

-Since committing to Auburn on July 1, 4-star running back Jeremiah Cobb of Montgomery Catholic (Ala.) has started to recruit for the Tigers. Right now, he’s working on 3-star cornerback Jacorious Hart of Loachapoka (Ala.) — a player we think is an Auburn lean.

“I just tell him Auburn is the place,” Cobb said. “I say, ‘It’s a great fit for you. Come in and make a difference.’”

Cobb plans to attend the Big Cat recruiting event next weekend at Auburn, where he can spread the word about the Tigers to multiple prospects. He said he’s excited “to meet guys and tell them about the program.”

Other Cobb notes …

-He’s currently 5-foot-11, 190 pounds. Two years ago at this time, he was about 165 pounds. He’d like to be between 190-195 when he arrives at Auburn to enroll.

-Will Cobb visit other schools in the future? It doesn’t seem likely. “I think I’m fine,” Cobb told Auburn Live.

Auburn’s edge recruiting appears to be picking up steam

-Look for Auburn to take three or four players at the edge position this cycle — and they could be close to filling some spots there. Right now, I like where Bryan Harsin’s program sits with 4-star prospect Wilky Denaud of Fort Pierce (Fla.) John Carroll and 4-star Nebraska commit Ashley Williams of Zachary (La.). Williams will visit the Tigers next weekend and the information we’ve gathered suggests Auburn has a very good chance to flip him. Denaud isn’t expected back in Auburn until his official visit Sept. 16 but the Auburn staff continues to build a strong bond with him. As of right now, it seems the chances are pretty good both could end up in the class — possibly in the relatively near future.

Should Auburn land both, then the Tigers can afford to be extremely selective with the remaining edge spots.

-Another edge, 4-star recruit Joseph Mupoyifrom Washington (D.C.) Archbishop Carroll, will visit next week. Auburn still is feeling this one out. But should the Tigers emerge as a factor it’s worth noting Mupoyi is a native of Africa and the fact the Tigers already have another player with ties to that continent — defensive tackle Jeffrey M’ba — won’t hurt. M’ba was born in the country of Gabon then moved to France when he was 4. He still has family in Africa. Mupoyi is from the Republic of the Congo, which borders Gabon.

A pair of 4-star quarterbacks will visit next week

-I’m still not sure how Auburn’s 2023 quarterback recruiting will shake out, but the Tigers appear to be in great shape with the 2024 class at that position. Most of you have tracked Air Noland of Fairburn (Ga.) Langston Hughes for awhile. But there’s also Adrian Posse of Miami (Fla.) Christopher Columbus. Auburn may be the team to beat for each. Both players will attend Big Cat next weekend and it wouldn’t be a surprise if at least one of them is on the commit list soon. At this time, it’s unclear if the Tigers will try to sign one or two quarterbacks in 2024. That might depend on what Auburn does with the 2023 class.

-With Auburn ramping things up in Florida on the recruiting trail, it seems fitting former Tigers receiver Devin Aromashodu recently was a guest speaker at Auburn. He played at Miami Springs High, a school in the heart of south Florida — and one that sits only a few blocks from my childhood home. During my multiple trips to south Florida as an Auburn reporter over the past decade, one thing has been clear: The Auburn logo continues to be strong from Miami north up the Atlantic coast of the Sunshine State.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

Most of you have tracked Air Noland of Fairburn (Ga.) Langston Hughes for awhile. But there’s also Adrian Posse of Miami (Fla.)

Their names alone are worth the scholarships. 😅

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Recruiting Insider: Saturday afternoon thoughts

Jeremiah Cobb Jeremiah Cobb will announce a commitment soon. (Photo: Jeffrey Lee/AuburnLiveOn3)

Here’s a little Auburn recruiting intel on this Saturday afternoon in late July …

-Since committing to Auburn on July 1, 4-star running back Jeremiah Cobb of Montgomery Catholic (Ala.) has started to recruit for the Tigers. Right now, he’s working on 3-star cornerback Jacorious Hart of Loachapoka (Ala.) — a player we think is an Auburn lean.

“I just tell him Auburn is the place,” Cobb said. “I say, ‘It’s a great fit for you. Come in and make a difference.’”

Cobb plans to attend the Big Cat recruiting event next weekend at Auburn, where he can spread the word about the Tigers to multiple prospects. He said he’s excited “to meet guys and tell them about the program.”

Other Cobb notes …

-He’s currently 5-foot-11, 190 pounds. Two years ago at this time, he was about 165 pounds. He’d like to be between 190-195 when he arrives at Auburn to enroll.

-Will Cobb visit other schools in the future? It doesn’t seem likely. “I think I’m fine,” Cobb told Auburn Live.

Auburn’s edge recruiting appears to be picking up steam

-Look for Auburn to take three or four players at the edge position this cycle — and they could be close to filling some spots there. Right now, I like where Bryan Harsin’s program sits with 4-star prospect Wilky Denaud of Fort Pierce (Fla.) John Carroll and 4-star Nebraska commit Ashley Williams of Zachary (La.). Williams will visit the Tigers next weekend and the information we’ve gathered suggests Auburn has a very good chance to flip him. Denaud isn’t expected back in Auburn until his official visit Sept. 16 but the Auburn staff continues to build a strong bond with him. As of right now, it seems the chances are pretty good both could end up in the class — possibly in the relatively near future.

Should Auburn land both, then the Tigers can afford to be extremely selective with the remaining edge spots.

-Another edge, 4-star recruit Joseph Mupoyifrom Washington (D.C.) Archbishop Carroll, will visit next week. Auburn still is feeling this one out. But should the Tigers emerge as a factor it’s worth noting Mupoyi is a native of Africa and the fact the Tigers already have another player with ties to that continent — defensive tackle Jeffrey M’ba — won’t hurt. M’ba was born in the country of Gabon then moved to France when he was 4. He still has family in Africa. Mupoyi is from the Republic of the Congo, which borders Gabon.

A pair of 4-star quarterbacks will visit next week

-I’m still not sure how Auburn’s 2023 quarterback recruiting will shake out, but the Tigers appear to be in great shape with the 2024 class at that position. Most of you have tracked Air Noland of Fairburn (Ga.) Langston Hughes for awhile. But there’s also Adrian Posse of Miami (Fla.) Christopher Columbus. Auburn may be the team to beat for each. Both players will attend Big Cat next weekend and it wouldn’t be a surprise if at least one of them is on the commit list soon. At this time, it’s unclear if the Tigers will try to sign one or two quarterbacks in 2024. That might depend on what Auburn does with the 2023 class.

-With Auburn ramping things up in Florida on the recruiting trail, it seems fitting former Tigers receiver Devin Aromashodu recently was a guest speaker at Auburn. He played at Miami Springs High, a school in the heart of south Florida — and one that sits only a few blocks from my childhood home. During my multiple trips to south Florida as an Auburn reporter over the past decade, one thing has been clear: The Auburn logo continues to be strong from Miami north up the Atlantic coast of the Sunshine State.

Todd a any new updates on if AU will take a QB this cycle?  If so who is the most likely candidate?

50 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Todd a any new updates on if AU will take a QB this cycle?  If so who is the most likely candidate?

We haven’t given up on Auburn Brock Glenn  yet, and the Smolick?sp kid that @zeek started a thread on. Don’t sleep on a qb having a big senior year either that we haven’t even heard of yet. We don’t have to take one this year in all reality, but I think we will see some new names pop up during the high school season .

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

We haven’t given up on Auburn Brock Glenn  yet, and the Smolick?sp kid that @zeek started a thread on. Don’t sleep on a qb having a big senior year either that we haven’t even heard of yet. We don’t have to take one this year in all reality, but I think we will see some new names pop up during the high school season .

It is odd that Glenn hasn't committed to FSU with everything pointing to it, including their previous commit de-committing.

• Like 1

• toddc changed the title to Big Cat Recruiting Weekend (Update 7/28/23
1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Booo. Mikey doesn't like 2024 recruits. No one wants them

Class of '24 recruits, while insignificant at this point in time, do provide eye candy for those who are attempting to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Class of '24 recruits, while insignificant at this point in time, do provide eye candy for those who are attempting to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

That’s partially correct. It’s insignificant to our on field record in 2023. It’s very significant otherwise. It generates positive noise and momentum about the program, strengthens relationships with high school coaches, establishes a footprint in that high school and area, gives the committed recruit time to  hype his choice with his friends and fellow recruits, and precludes the media from writing negative articles about how dire things are at AU. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2023 4* ER Cameron Lenhardt will not be here. It seems like we have cooled on him. Likely Nebraska bound.

2023 4* ER Ashley Williams (despite poor reporting by 247) will still be at BCW. His dad can't make the trip. I think he still might flip from Nebraska to us soon.

Former 4* DT Derick Hunter likely won't make it but will be coming to a game in the future. I think Auburn leads but Florida has entered the picture. We'll see.

2023 4* CB Jakeem Jackson who recently committed to Florida will not be here.

2024 OL Daniel Akinkunmi is not able to attend. He is from London and some logistical things didn't work out. We are in the mix though. 

2024 3* ER Willis McGahee IV is likely to attend. He is the son of the former NFL running back. Hometown Miami will be hard to beat.

2024 QB Davis Harsin will be here. Not a big surprise. He has D1 potential. I don't think he ever signs at a school as big as Auburn but why not let him come.

2024 4* ATH Ronnie Royal II will be here. No offer yet but will likely get one this weekend. Lots of in-state talent in that class.

2024 3* DL Malik Blocton will attend. We likely lead.

2024 4* CB showed up two days early and will be in Auburn all week. Pretty good vibes here.

2024 4* ER Sterling Dixon will have his entire family (pretty much) at BCW. Again, that's a good sign. 

2025 ATH Derick Smith is likely to attend. Already has offers from all the top SEC schools. 

Random note but we have had zero luck with IMG players despite Caddy working there in the past. It's become so common it's starting to feel fishy (like Thompson kids).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Zeek said:

2023 4* ER Cameron Lenhardt will not be here. It seems like we have cooled on him. Likely Nebraska bound.

2023 4* ER Ashley Williams (despite poor reporting by 247) will still be at BCW. His dad can't make the trip. I think he still might flip from Nebraska to us soon.

Former 4* DT Derick Hunter likely won't make it but will be coming to a game in the future. I think Auburn leads but Florida has entered the picture. We'll see.

2023 4* CB Jakeem Jackson who recently committed to Florida will not be here.

2024 OL Daniel Akinkunmi is not able to attend. He is from London and some logistical things didn't work out. We are in the mix though. 

2024 3* ER Willis McGahee IV is likely to attend. He is the son of the former NFL running back. Hometown Miami will be hard to beat.

2024 QB Davis Harsin will be here. Not a big surprise. He has D1 potential. I don't think he ever signs at a school as big as Auburn but why not let him come.

2024 4* ATH Ronnie Royal II will be here. No offer yet but will likely get one this weekend. Lots of in-state talent in that class.

2024 3* DL Malik Blocton will attend. We likely lead.

2024 4* CB showed up two days early and will be in Auburn all week. Pretty good vibes here.

2024 4* ER Sterling Dixon will have his entire family (pretty much) at BCW. Again, that's a good sign. 

2025 ATH Derick Smith is likely to attend. Already has offers from all the top SEC schools. 

Random note but we have had zero luck with IMG players despite Caddy working there in the past. It's become so common it's starting to feel fishy (like Thompson kids).

I don’t think we have ever signed anyone straight outta IMG, have we?   We got a couple who made stops there, the RB from Decatur (can’t remember the name) who stayed a year and transferred comes to mind.   IMG is a true football factory and AU probably doesn’t market itself that way to recruits and certainly isn’t viewed that way at IMG.   Over the years a TON of elite talent that grew up in the AU footprint has gone thru IMG and then doesn’t even have AU as a top 5 consideration.   I would love to see a list of where IMG grads have ended up over the years.    I’ll bet all the major P5 schools in the southeast have had at least 1or2.   Huge miss in the perception game IMO   

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

I don’t think we have ever signed anyone straight outta IMG, have we?   We got a couple who made stops there, the RB from Decatur (can’t remember the name) who stayed a year and transferred comes to mind.   IMG is a true football factory and AU probably doesn’t market itself that way to recruits and certainly isn’t viewed that way at IMG.   Over the years a TON of elite talent that grew up in the AU footprint has gone thru IMG and then doesn’t even have AU as a top 5 consideration.   I would love to see a list of where IMG grads have ended up over the years.    I’ll bet all the major P5 schools in the southeast have had at least 1or2.   Huge miss in the perception game IMO   

I'm assuming off this graphic we have literally never signed one kid from there. I'm going to dig into it a little bit more. 

Screenshot_20220729-075237_Chrome.jpg

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

The 2024 commits are just as important and indicative of status of recruiting as the 2023. The ones in both classes that do not add value (and may even take value away) are the ones that don’t wind up signing.

• Like 3

• Like 2

Wish he would commit this weekend and anchor the 2024 class early.

• Like 2

Meet Auburn's most intriguing Big Cat Weekend visitors

Cole Pinkstonabout 2 hours
recruiting-three-star-edge-ashley-williams-discusses-texas-offer-official-visits On3 photo

By now it is well-known that Auburn is hosting multiple of its top prospects for a big recruiting weekend. Big Cat Weekend is getting set up and ready while 30-40 recruits are making their way to campus for the weekend. 

[ Keep up with all details, notes, intel, and news from Auburn’s Big Cat Weekend HERE ]

There will be multiple prospects of intrigue at Auburn this weekend, however a few names continue to catch the eye. Let’s discuss three of those visitors who need to be monitored this weekend. 

Edge, Ashley Williams, Zachary, La. (Nebraska commit)

First and foremost, Williams, a 4-star Nebraska edge commit, is someone to keep a close eye on. When AuburnLive learned that he would be making his way over to Auburn shortly after committing to the Huskers, it was an interesting move. After digging further, it became clear that the Tigers are a real factor here and could have a shot at flipping the talented edge. 

As a player, Williams is interesting because he is at a position of great need. Auburn just landed 4-star edge Wilky Denaud on Wednesday, but they are far from done at the position. Williams has a different skill-set as he is leaner and more conditioned to playing in a stand up role for now. 

Eyes will be on the 4-star edge from Louisiana this weekend. 

Linebacker, Marcellius Pulliam, Tyrone, Ga.

Pulliam, a 3-star linebacker from Tyrone, Georgia, is now expected to be in for the weekend after not knowing if he could make it. AuburnLive caught up with him a little over a week ago. He was adamant that the Tigers have been recruiting him heavily as of late. The charge, of course, is being lead by Auburn linebacker coach Christian Robinson. 

Could Pulliam be someone that might commit during the event? As of right now, there is no indication if he might commit as other schools such as Louisville, Miami, and Clemson are still recruiting him. His relationship with Robinson is something that should play a major factor with him, however. Therefore, it’s worth monitoring that he could get caught up in the atmosphere of Auburn. 

Also worth noting, Pulliam goes to Sandy Creek High School and knows former Auburn Power Forward Jabari Smith well. 

Offensive tackle, TJ Johnson, Natchitoches, La.

There is a case to be made for each offensive lineman on the visitor list. The position will need several additions before December. Johnson is a newer name who AuburnLive is still learning about. 

The reason why Johnson was chosen over guys such as 4-star Georgia commit, Bo Hughley, and in-state versatile offensive lineman Vysen Lang as well as others, is because he is the most unknown commodity. Does he leave with an offer? If he get’s the offer does he consider joining the class? These are things we intend to learn about Johnson this weekend. 

As a player, he is rather raw, but one thing stands out: he has the build and body type to play a tackle position in college. In fact, his feet are improving as well. His value goes up for that, alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Wish he would commit this weekend and anchor the 2024 class early.

Interesting note. Keith's Florida sources are telling him that this guy has the most arm talent in the state of Florida and that they think he will be a 5 star before too long. Love his size as well.

• Like 1

Some of the events on the schedule for Saturday:

-11:30-1:30 Check in/lunch
-1:00 New facility tour
-1:30-2:00 player panel
-2:00-3:00 family feud
-2:30-3:00 eating contest
-3:00-3:30 water balloons
-3:30-4:00 ice cream

• Like 1

ON3 for a dollar and you can follow along. Send my ad check to… 😝 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Is Bo Hughley on flip watch this wkend?

That would be huge. Dukes put in a crystal ball for him but I don't know. 247 had jumped the gun a few times. I don't know if Georgia would give up on a kid. But it does seem like Hughley is torn 

• Like 1