Auburn 2022-23 Offseason Thoughts

No reason to continue having to put posts in threads that sort of, kind of apply to the topic at hand. I figured I just make a big thread to put whatever content you find and want to drop in 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If Dylan has cut down on the fouls, learned to play more under control (on both ends), he can definitely be a guy that finishes as one of the best centers in conference. I would think they look at having Jaylin as the next big up for a couple reasons (apparently has been a focus point in Israel practices, spacing, ball handing, seniority, etc), but with Wendell possibly coming off the bench again, you’re going to want to supply him a rim runner off of pick and rolls. 

• Like 1

Was just coming to post it! Thanks 😊 

• Like 1

• Like 1

With the Israel games being televised, I have to think CBP feels confident enough about the product that we’ve had on the (practice) court so far. I highly doubt he’d be looking for bad publicity 

On 7/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If Dylan has cut down on the fouls, learned to play more under control (on both ends), he can definitely be a guy that finishes as one of the best centers in conference. I would think they look at having Jaylin as the next big up for a couple reasons (apparently has been a focus point in Israel practices, spacing, ball handing, seniority, etc), but with Wendell possibly coming off the bench again, you’re going to want to supply him a rim runner off of pick and rolls. 

I really wonder whether Zep will be starting at the point again next season; unless Chance steps up big and Bruce slots him in at PG (which I have my doubts he will do, even if he lets Westry handle the ball a lot), I kinda expect "icywen" to be starting and Zep coming off the bench. But, I suppose Bruce might like having that kind of punch coming off the bench, so who knows?

• Like 1

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:35 AM, Rednilla said:

I really wonder whether Zep will be starting at the point again next season; unless Chance steps up big and Bruce slots him in at PG (which I have my doubts he will do, even if he lets Westry handle the ball a lot), I kinda expect "icywen" to be starting and Zep coming off the bench. But, I suppose Bruce might like having that kind of punch coming off the bench, so who knows?

With having a ball handler at the 2-4, and someone who might necessitate getting some touches in Broome at the 5, it’d make more sense to me to put a deferential player like Zep out there. Not much of a playmaker, but he’s a connector, and now there’s much more guys who should be able to self create 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

With having a ball handler at the 2-4, and someone who might necessitate getting some touches in Broome at the 5, it’d make more sense to me to put a deferential player like Zep out there. Not much of a playmaker, but he’s a connector, and now there’s much more guys who should be able to self create 

I guess that makes some sense. Play Chance at the 3, but make him the primary ball handler (i.e. point forward) and play the best defensive guard on the team at 1. And Traore supposedly still had PG handle, though 6'10 might be a smidge tall to have as a primary ball handler too often. I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I guess that makes some sense. Play Chance at the 3, but make him the primary ball handler (i.e. point forward) and play the best defensive guard on the team at 1. And Traore supposedly still had PG handle, though 6'10 might be a smidge tall to have as a primary ball handler too often. I guess we'll see.

I was envisioning Zep-KD-Flanigan-Traore-Broome starting out. If Flanigan’s shot is back, that gives you 2 plus outside shooters and KD, who’s good on catch and shoot opportunities but varied when he’s creating his own 3. The spacing will be a bit funky, but I think Zep will continue being a starter in namely only

In typing that out and taking another look though, the offensive would definitely be aided by Wendell in. You got a ton of defense 2-5 already and no primary facilitators. I might have to revise my earlier train of thought 

now that I’m thinking about it, it’s gonna be pick your poison for Wendell’s role if we don’t develop that second facilitator. Either Zep will need to be more active, Chance will need to develop those passing instincts, or Tre will have to be thrown in a year earlier than expected. I like Flanigan as the secondary playmaking option, but not the sole playmaker on the court 

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was envisioning Zep-KD-Flanigan-Traore-Broome starting out. If Flanigan’s shot is back, that gives you 2 plus outside shooters and KD, who’s good on catch and shoot opportunities but varied when he’s creating his own 3. The spacing will be a bit funky, but I think Zep will continue being a starter in namely only

In typing that out and taking another look though, the offensive would definitely be aided by Wendell in. You got a ton of defense 2-5 already and no primary facilitators. I might have to revise my earlier train of thought 

now that I’m thinking about it, it’s gonna be pick your poison for Wendell’s role if we don’t develop that second facilitator. Either Zep will need to be more active, Chance will need to develop those passing instincts, or Tre will have to be thrown in a year earlier than expected. I like Flanigan as the secondary playmaking option, but not the sole playmaker on the court 

I could see Zep starting if Chance is playing the 3, but you're right that Allen will probably start there. I could see staring Chance at the 2 and Zep as the 1 and then letting Chance handle the ball the most, but I don't think that's what will happen. 

But yeah, if Westry isn't starting, I expect Wendell to start at point, for the reason you highlighted: the need for a facilitator. From what I've heard about and seen of him, it seems like Chance can be that guy, but we'll see how it plays out.

I do find it interesting that of the three players on our team most likely to be picked in the 2023 NBA Draft, two of them are classified as SFs.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I could see Zep starting if Chance is playing the 3, but you're right that Allen will probably start there. I could see staring Chance at the 2 and Zep as the 1 and then letting Chance handle the ball the most, but I don't think that's what will happen. 

But yeah, if Westry isn't starting, I expect Wendell to start at point, for the reason you highlighted: the need for a facilitator. From what I've heard about and seen of him, it seems like Chance can be that guy, but we'll see how it plays out.

I do find it interesting that of the three players on our team most likely to be picked in the 2023 NBA Draft, two of them are classified as SFs.

I do think Flanigan (like Okoro) would be best served being a 2/SG on the next level. I believe he has a 6’6 wingspan and is about ~220, so he would have a little disadvantage. I think he’ll be able to guard up (play against bigger positions) occasionally, but much like Okoro experiences, there’s not a ton you can do with a small wingspan against size, no matter how good a defender you are 

That all being said, we SHOULD have one of the best small forward rotations in the league, even with Mr. Phillips deciding to take his services elsewhere. Hoping AF regains the touch 

• Like 1