Dylan Cardwell

aubiefifty

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

@JonRothstein

Well embedded moles in the Southeast have sent word that Dylan Cardwell is arguably the most improved player in Auburn's program. 6-11 big man has an opportunity to carve out space in Tigers' rotation at C following Walker Kessler's departure to the NBA.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Love his energy and effort when he hits the floor…which spreads to his teammates!!!!!!

• Like 1

Dylan is definitely a fan favorite.   He’s just a fun dude!   I thought he played well overall last year, but I would love to see him make a big jump this coming year!!!

• Like 1

I really wonder if he's got any chance at being an NBA bench player. With his improving defense and instant energy, I would think he has a shot of at least playing his way into that kind of consideration, but I guess we'll see.

I’ve thought Cardwell was a steal from the first moment I saw him play. Sharif did Pearl a solid by convincing him to offer Cardwell after we missed on a few guys. He has the tools and body. His next step to me needs to be mental. He needs to be a smarter player and understand how to defend guys and operate under the basket. How to not make those bad fouls way away from the basket. I think he can absolutely be an NBA player if he can do all that. No small task though

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I really wonder if he's got any chance at being an NBA bench player. With his improving defense and instant energy, I would think he has a shot of at least playing his way into that kind of consideration, but I guess we'll see.

I love Cardwell but I can't see him being an NBA player unless he massively improves. He is big and strong but not quick enough to go out and cover stretch 5's that are becoming the norm in the NBA. At this time his only offense is a dunk. With his body he might be able to be an old fashioned Center but that would require a serious drop step and other scoring techniques inside which he does not have at this time.  Don't get me wrong I am super happy we have him. He plays hard, excites the crowd and is a definite asset at this level but NBA is a different world

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

I know I say this once every few months but this board has a serious tendency to underrate the talent level of the NBA. Come on guys lol

Yeah, as much as I love Dylan, it's so tough to make it as a big in the NBA right now. Especially if you can't shoot the 3 well. I still think Wiley would have been drafted 20+ years ago, but it's a different game now, with even the top centers not being a lock for the lottery. 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I love Cardwell but I can't see him being an NBA player unless he massively improves. He is big and strong but not quick enough to go out and cover stretch 5's that are becoming the norm in the NBA. At this time his only offense is a dunk. With his body he might be able to be an old fashioned Center but that would require a serious drop step and other scoring techniques inside which he does not have at this time.  Don't get me wrong I am super happy we have him. He plays hard, excites the crowd and is a definite asset at this level but NBA is a different world

I really have no clue. I haven't kept up with the NBA with anything close to regularity since MJ's repeat threepeat, and I was too young then to have any idea what was what.

I guess maybe I should have posed my comment more as a question, because that was more what it was. I appreciate the answer... and I can understand where you're going with that. My thought was that he might be able to make a team based on his size and defense, and while it surprises me that you think he'd have trouble defending the stretch 5s, upon further thought, even if he can defend such players, his offensive worth is mostly rebounding, and he's marginal there, so you're right that he has to take a couple of pretty big strides to get to the point of maybe even being a bench player in the NBA.

But he's such a fun player that you just can't help but to root for him.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I really have no clue. I haven't kept up with the NBA with anything close to regularity since MJ's repeat threepeat, and I was too young then to have any idea what was what.

I guess maybe I should have posed my comment more as a question, because that was more what it was. I appreciate the answer... and I can understand where you're going with that. My thought was that he might be able to make a team based on his size and defense, and while it surprises me that you think he'd have trouble defending the stretch 5s, upon further thought, even if he can defend such players, his offensive worth is mostly rebounding, and he's marginal there, so you're right that he has to take a couple of pretty big strides to get to the point of maybe even being a bench player in the NBA.

But he's such a fun player that you just can't help but to root for him.

Like I said I love him and am really happy he is at Auburn he is a great player at the college level because of his hustle and enthusiasm he gets the crowd up and the players around him up then be bangs and provides quality minutes.  When I was saying why I didn't think he will be an NBA player I left out one thing he has done well the last two years and that is making eye contact with PG when he is in the corner then timing his cut to the basket for a forceful dunk. There is some talk about he has made the biggest improvement I hope that means he has devloped some skill down low.

• Like 2

I mean it wouldn’t surprise me he’s the most improved because quite frankly he has a lot of room for improvement, it’s a double edged sword the whole most improved bit. Let’s just say I bet Jabari has never held that title and for a reason. I think he’s a great role player and I certainly can see an expanded role, but I’d have to really be pumping sunshine and looking through some seriously strong O & B glasses before I start talking about the NBA and his chances. The sheer talent level that has to go overseas every year to play because they can’t make the league is astonishing. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 7/11/2022 at 7:38 AM, Rednilla said:

i hope he does.

• Like 1