New Program GM and Scouting/Development Director

au302

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Tigers-hire-former-Dallas-Cowboy-Drew-Fabianich-in-scouting-role-189967967/

For those not reading the article, former Cowboys scout for the past 18 years. Parted ways with them. Had several NFL offers on the table but chose to come here instead. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, au302 said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Tigers-hire-former-Dallas-Cowboy-Drew-Fabianich-in-scouting-role-189967967/

For those not reading the article, former Cowboys scout for the past 18 years. Parted ways with them. Had several NFL offers on the table but chose to come here instead. 

This looks like a great hire. 

• Like 4

Well thank God. We need that Jerry Jones money too though haha

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Great hire imo

AUBURN, Alabama - Auburn has one more addition coming to its off-the-field staff, and it's set to be a big one. Drew Fabianich, a scout for the Dallas Cowboys for the last 18 years and a former high school and college coach is joining Auburn's staff as the general manager and director of scouting and development. A source confirmed to Auburn Undercover the addition of Fabianich, with the deal being finalized later this week.

In his role at Auburn, Fabianich will work as a scout in recruiting and in the transfer portal, along with scouting Auburn's opponents. With his NFL experience, he'll also act as an NFL liaison of sorts, working to get Auburn players to the next level.

Fabianich started coaching in 1985, working as the quarterback and receiver coach at Mesa State College until 1988. From there, Fabianich worked as a graduate assistant at Baylor for two seasons and went to Tennessee as the defensive ends coach in 1990. He became the defensive coordinator at UT-Martin for three years and then the defensive coordinator at Louisiana-Monroe for three more seasons. His last coaching stop was from 2001-'03 at W.T. White High School in Dallas as the defensive coordinator.

Following his 18-year coaching career, he was hired by the Dallas Cowboys as a BLESTO scout in 2003. One year later he was promoted to be the Cowboys' Midwest scout. In 2008 he was elevated to national scout and was in that position until May. During his tenure with the Cowboys, 11 of Dallas' first round picks have been selected to the Pro Bowl.

According to a tweet from NFL reporter Ian Rapoport, Fabianich had other opportunities for scouting jobs in the NFL after parting ways with the Cowboys but instead opted to go to the college level and work at Auburn. 

The position Fabianich holds will be a new one for Auburn, as he joins an extensive off-the-field staff Auburn has built up to coordinate recruiting and scouting efforts. Auburn currently lists Jared Tucker as its personnel and scouting coordinator but has a large group of other employees working in scouting behind the scenes. 

Auburn and head coach Bryan Harsin have put an emphasis this offseason on expanding the staff as a whole, which included bringing in new graduate assistants, elevating Trovon Reed to Director of Football and Recruiting Relations and hiring Steven Ruzic from North Carolina to serve as the Director of Player Personnel.

• Like 5

You love that NFL experience.

• Like 3

I assume this was Harsin’s hire.  This is the most impressive hire he has made (to me), and I was impressed with Etheridge and keeping him this offseason.  Kudos to Harsin.  Knocked it out of the park.  

• Like 7

The more our staff looks like an NFL team the better.

• Like 3

I like it. If Harsin can survive and keep building an NFL style program here, the future will be bright in a post-Saban CFB world. 

Gotta get the wins this year though.

• Like 3

Great. Did Greene tell harsin he was getting a 5 year non-severable guarantee or something. The long-game strategy may be great. Year 1 - clean house. Year 2 - hire objective staff. Year 3 - start recruiting. Year 4 - develop recruits. Year 5 - compete. Gotta start landing highly ranked recruits yesterday or this is for naught. Can't just wait to settle to the bottom of the league as a strategy to get #1 pick in a draft - not in this league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Great hire imo

AUBURN, Alabama - Auburn has one more addition coming to its off-the-field staff, and it's set to be a big one. Drew Fabianich, a scout for the Dallas Cowboys for the last 18 years and a former high school and college coach is joining Auburn's staff as the general manager and director of scouting and development. A source confirmed to Auburn Undercover the addition of Fabianich, with the deal being finalized later this week.

In his role at Auburn, Fabianich will work as a scout in recruiting and in the transfer portal, along with scouting Auburn's opponents. With his NFL experience, he'll also act as an NFL liaison of sorts, working to get Auburn players to the next level.

Fabianich started coaching in 1985, working as the quarterback and receiver coach at Mesa State College until 1988. From there, Fabianich worked as a graduate assistant at Baylor for two seasons and went to Tennessee as the defensive ends coach in 1990. He became the defensive coordinator at UT-Martin for three years and then the defensive coordinator at Louisiana-Monroe for three more seasons. His last coaching stop was from 2001-'03 at W.T. White High School in Dallas as the defensive coordinator.

Following his 18-year coaching career, he was hired by the Dallas Cowboys as a BLESTO scout in 2003. One year later he was promoted to be the Cowboys' Midwest scout. In 2008 he was elevated to national scout and was in that position until May. During his tenure with the Cowboys, 11 of Dallas' first round picks have been selected to the Pro Bowl.

According to a tweet from NFL reporter Ian Rapoport, Fabianich had other opportunities for scouting jobs in the NFL after parting ways with the Cowboys but instead opted to go to the college level and work at Auburn. 

The position Fabianich holds will be a new one for Auburn, as he joins an extensive off-the-field staff Auburn has built up to coordinate recruiting and scouting efforts. Auburn currently lists Jared Tucker as its personnel and scouting coordinator but has a large group of other employees working in scouting behind the scenes. 

Auburn and head coach Bryan Harsin have put an emphasis this offseason on expanding the staff as a whole, which included bringing in new graduate assistants, elevating Trovon Reed to Director of Football and Recruiting Relations and hiring Steven Ruzic from North Carolina to serve as the Director of Player Personnel.

I guess this is what Zac and Trovon were talking about? I know it's a Twitter trend but still.

2 hours ago, AUx said:

Great. Did Greene tell harsin he was getting a 5 year non-severable guarantee or something. The long-game strategy may be great. Year 1 - clean house. Year 2 - hire objective staff. Year 3 - start recruiting. Year 4 - develop recruits. Year 5 - compete. Gotta start landing highly ranked recruits yesterday or this is for naught. Can't just wait to settle to the bottom of the league as a strategy to get #1 pick in a draft - not in this league.

It amazes me how you all put so much pressure on this coach to bring in a #1 class as if Auburn is a state school, Clemson has been at the top of the mountain in the playoff era and they can't land a #1 class. They are under attack just like Auburn, simply because we are not wanted it, not a media darling, what this hire tells me is that we are so flipping behind and have not been a forward thinking organization because all of the arm chair Monday morning coaches and QB's on these message board think that they know best and don't know shinola. what Harsin is doing is the same thing Saban has done after landing in Tuscaloosa that is out think everybody else not only in this league but the entire college land scape.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

This is awesome. Well ..... Kinda. Sorta. Maybe.

How does this translate into actual recruiting? Is he going to be boots on the ground recruiting? Or just "managing" the recruiting of other assistant coaches?

Sorry, but tell me when he pulls in a 5 star or even a 4 star OL player for BB.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nellie, but I really want to see some substantive, positive results. Gimmee offers some actual LOIs. Not just more lists of maybe guys and maybewho  who are already committed elsewhere. But loca;lly. Whowill he pull l?

I'm really hoping and praying that somebody will come along -- maybe him -- how me some meaningful results!

• Like 1

From reading a bit more this is a guy who many believe could be an NFL GM, or at least he has the capability. I don't know, something's different on this one. I doubt he'd turn down the several NFL offers he had and come here without some type of assurances. Dare I say potentially the AD job down the road if it opens? I just love the approach Hars has to building the program. I just hope like hell he wins enough this year so that he can see it through.

But that's where this guy comes in. Like I said, I doubt a professional of his caliber and with his amount of high level offers comes here without knowing what's up, which would be that he and Hars will have the support they need to see this through to the end, for better or worse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is a freaking awesome hire.  Kudos Harsin. 

• Like 4

Sounds like a good hire although identifying talent is just the initial stage of recruiting.  Harsin and his staff has got to do a better job of selling themselves and the university to the recruits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This guy is going to be a talent scout? He cannot recruit off-campus, so that's out. He could go watch and evaluate prospects but not contact them. Maybe he'll give us a big boost in scouting up-coming opponents?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

Sounds like a good hire although identifying talent is just the initial stage of recruiting.  Harsin and his staff has got to do a better job of selling themselves and the university to the recruits.

of course Mikey likes this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, eaglenest said:

It amazes me how you all put so much pressure on this coach to bring in a #1 class as if Auburn is a state school

Auburn is a public state school...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It sounds like a great hire, but unless he can motivate boosters to spend NIL money, I doubt it means much. 

• Like 2

Auburn hiring longtime Dallas Cowboys scout for key off-field role

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

3 minutes

Nov 27, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Fans during the game between Auburn and Alabama at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Matthew Shannon/AU AthleticsMatthew Shannon/AU Athletics

Bryan Harsin has tabbed a longtime NFL scout to take over a key off-field role within Auburn’s football program this season.

A source confirmed to AL.com on Monday afternoon that Auburn is expected to hire Drew Fabianich to serve in a new role as the program’s general manager and director of football scouting and development. The addition of Fabianich, who has nearly two decades of experience in the NFL, is not yet official, but a source told AL.com that a deal is expected to be finalized this week.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport first reported the move, adding that Fabianich turned down “several NFL opportunities” to take the role at Auburn.

Fabianich joined the Cowboys in 2004 as a scout, helping the franchise evaluate in preparation for the NFL Draft each year. At Auburn, Fabianich is expected to help scout talent as part of Auburn’s recruiting efforts -- at the high school and junior college level, as well as through the transfer portal. Given his 18-plus years of experience in the NFL, Fabianich’s role is expected to include duties as a liaison to the league as Auburn works to prepare players for the next level.

Prior to his time with the Cowboys, Fabianich spent 18 years in coaching at the college and high school level. He began his coaching career in 1985 coaching quarterbacks and wide receivers at Mesa State College before a two-year stint as a defensive graduate assistant at Baylor. In 1990, he joined Johnny Majors’ staff at Tennessee as defensive line coach, holding that position for three seasons before being named the defensive coordinator at UT-Martin.

Fabianich then served as defensive coordinator at ULM from 1997-2000 before spending two years as a high school defensive coordinator at W.T. White High in Dallas. That was followed by is foray into scouting with the Dallas Cowboys. After one year, he was promoted to a regional scout for the Midwest, and in 2008 he was promoted to the role of national scout for the organization -- a position he held until this summer.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.