New Program GM and Scouting/Development Director

au302

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So we don't think he knew this before he took the job?

It's possible.  

I responded to Carnell's assertion that the GM may be looking for coaches in the Saban price range and not bargain basement type guys. The GM is accustomed to an organization with plenty of $$. 

If recent news is to be believed (as mentioned by Red) Auburn is bargain basement with their recruiting budget compared to our rivals, NIL is still struggling and massively unorganized.  Who knows if the PTB and $$ people will be willing to pay 2 coaching staff's to not coach here + add an expensive (Saban priced) coaching staff in the near future? 

So nobody really knows how this translates to talent? Dallas hasn’t been very good. Yeah , bring in someone else with zero familiarity with the SEC in the last 15 + years . Can’t wait for the season 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

So we don't think he knew this before he took the job?

See, you be thinking like I be thinking. Lol.

like no crap. This isn’t the damn NFL. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

So nobody really knows how this translates to talent? Dallas hasn’t been very good. Yeah , bring in someone else with zero familiarity with the SEC in the last 15 + years . Can’t wait for the season 

Dallas is a lot like us. Possibly solid employees, horrible overbearing boss. This guy survived for 18 years under that man (Jerry). That's quite a feat. Very difficult to earn his trust

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

See, you be thinking like I be thinking. Lol.

like no crap. This isn’t the damn NFL. 

Like we are bringing that up as if it was some type of code unlocked or something......and on top of that it'snot like Jerry just be giving money away....but this is the type of stuff the fan base do......if a guy coached in a "spread" offense bet your bottom dollar somebody is going to write a couple of paragraphs explaining why that coach doesn't know ANYTHING about football in a "pro" style so it will be assumed anything from a wr route running to a QB throwing a ball that they couldn't have been taught correctly because the coach at one time coached in a different system. 

A coach from a different conference doesn't know how to recruit, and now a guy from the NFL can't be successful managing because of a budget..........

Good stuff

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

thumbs-up-90s.gif.9c83fec62c810071f9df911e9d5e3241.gif

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2022 at 10:26 PM, eaglenest said:

It amazes me how you all put so much pressure on this coach to bring in a #1 class as if Auburn is a state school, Clemson has been at the top of the mountain in the playoff era and they can't land a #1 class. They are under attack just like Auburn, simply because we are not wanted it, not a media darling, what this hire tells me is that we are so flipping behind and have not been a forward thinking organization because all of the arm chair Monday morning coaches and QB's on these message board think that they know best and don't know shinola. what Harsin is doing is the same thing Saban has done after landing in Tuscaloosa that is out think everybody else not only in this league but the entire college land scape.

i think when you have screw ups with recruiting and other things......right or wrong............you have to earn the fans trust. if we had beat bama he would have tons of goodwill even tho he did not get thrown out of bounds and cost us the game. they say fans are fickle right? now before anyone unloads on me i am all for harsin to get a fair shot,period. i would rather see him leave because of failure. right now we look bad because of all the crap going on even involving innocents.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:25 AM, Didba said:

Not so, the reason they said that was bc that particular topic wasn't directly at issue in the appeal, the Plaintiffs chose not to plead it at the SC. If Ps don't plead the issue then SC cannot rule on it.

The plaintiff did not specifically address the athletics dept generating the large revenues and the NCAA not permitting the athletes to share in these revenues.  Kavanugh wrote in the report just about warning them about these practices.  Are you saying that was not signaling.

• Like 1

I have said for years Saban doesn’t recruit, he scouts. He learned scouting under the crown prince of scouting, Bill Belichick, son of Steve Belichick, who literally wrote the book on NFL scouting.

Scouting is why Saban goes after some 5 stars while ignoring others. Scouting is why recruiting services will raise their score of an athlete after he gets an offer from Alabama, because they know Saban might be seeing something they missed.

Bringing an NFL scout onto the off the field recruiting staff is a good move.

Edited by meh130
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Carnell said:

The plaintiff did not specifically address the athletics dept generating the large revenues and the NCAA not permitting the athletes to share in these revenues.  Kavanugh wrote in the report just about warning them about these practices.  Are you saying that was not signaling.

That is what we call dicta in the legal field, its just non-binding comments with no legal weight that may or may not impact future decisions.  I do not place any weight on it because it was not plead in the case by the plaintiffs.

Edited by Didba

Hes probably a very good hire but it doesnt solve our problem. The people here now can identify talent but cant get them to come to Auburn. I dont see how an NFL guy is going to help solve the glaring issue hanging over the program?

Edited by CR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CR said:

Hes probably a very good hire but it doesnt solve our problem. The people here now can identify talent but cant get them to come to Auburn. I dont see how an NFL guy is going to help solve the glaring issue hanging over the program?

Correct, in that it doesn’t solve all of the recruiting problem. Surely points in a great improvement direction for those recruits looking to get leg up to NFL. Definitely not a wrong direction.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i think when you have screw ups with recruiting and other things......right or wrong............you have to earn the fans trust. if we had beat bama he would have tons of goodwill even tho he did not get thrown out of bounds and cost us the game. they say fans are fickle right? now before anyone unloads on me i am all for harsin to get a fair shot,period. i would rather see him leave because of failure. right now we look bad because of all the crap going on even involving innocents.

AUB50, it is going to be okay my man old construction sometimes has to be torn down in order to improve the circumstances. Harsin is rebuilding not remodeling we need to support the coach and players especially the leaders on this team that STUID UP for their coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I hate to make rude comments about the hire , but what problem or challenge does this solve guys ?  Sorry for being a tool. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I hate to make rude comments about the hire , but what problem or challenge does this solve guys ?  Sorry for being a tool. 

That this coach is not sitting on his a$$

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I've seen a variety of explanations from he's going to scout 3* kids who can be developed to he's going to help with the business side of the program and get NIL in order.

I honestly don't have a clue or good understanding what he's going to do.  Seems like an odd move on his part. But I know he'd been put of work since April.

Doesn't seem like a bad hire, but feels weird that we didn't have anyone over player dev/scouting before??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I've seen a variety of explanations from he's going to scout 3* kids who can be developed to he's going to help with the business side of the program and get NIL in order.

I honestly don't have a clue or good understanding what he's going to do.  Seems like an odd move on his part. But I know he'd been put of work since April.

Doesn't seem like a bad hire, but feels weird that we didn't have anyone over player dev/scouting before??

There was definitely someone over scouting. This is weird because it seems to demote many people and place him near the top of the totem pole. 

I don't understand why he is here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

There was definitely someone over scouting. This is weird because it seems to demote many people and place him near the top of the totem pole. 

I don't understand why he is here. 

Is he legit a GM like in the NFL?  Can he hire, fire coaches?  Is it an additional layer or does he fall under Harsin?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Is he legit a GM like in the NFL?  Can he hire, fire coaches?  Is it an additional layer or does he fall under Harsin?

I've no idea. Everyone answers to the HC in ever college program I've worked with, regardless of fancy titles. 

There was already a scouting coordinator and recruiting coordinator and all GAs and student assistants will do film work on prospects, plus the staffers under the above coordinaters. 

Not to mention, it's not unusual for schools to have scouting and recruiting unpaid interns(volunteers). 

I just don't know what this guy brings to the table that is worth the title and pay he is probably getting. Especially if he supposedly had pro scouting offers? 

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm sure we'll pretend to know like we do with NIL stuff and so on......then write up a reason to love or hate the guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm sure we'll pretend to know like we do with NIL stuff and so on......then write up a reason to love or hate the guy

Who’s pretending with NIL?
Recruits that were at one time heavy AU leans are committing elsewhere. That kinda says we aren’t playing the NIL game others are.  :dunno:

13 hours ago, keesler said:

Who’s pretending with NIL?
Recruits that were at one time heavy AU leans are committing elsewhere. That kinda says we aren’t playing the NIL game others are.  :dunno:

Oh ok. Coming from a guy who was behind the scenes on over 5 d1 recruits more times than not it's completely made up as far as leans go and until someone can show actual budget it's still ludicrous to just jump to that conclusion as if it's that's absolutely the case. Guys could have changed because of coaching changes, philosophy, the huge summer debacle that everyone seems to think wasn't a big deal, and negative recruiting, like how some of our practices and facilities are second rate......there's a bunch of variables but we are just set on knowing it's NIL......

But as usual, what do I know? I just come on here and make stuff up!

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 12:31 AM, Carnell said:

Can't answer that per se but only speculate.  I would think that the GM would be involved in any hypothetical coaching search but I believe the AD and President will be making the final decision to retain or fire.  Since the AD hired Harsin I believe that Harsin will have a little bit longer leash.  In addition, I believe money will also play a role into Harsin having a longer leash.

Are you suggesting Fabianich is Harsin's superior? Maybe I'm reading your post wrong.