Sports Illustrated Note On Auburn Recruiting

CodeRocket

7 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Be tough for Harsin to survive another 6 win season with no recruiting going on. Seems that most of this staff, being from the Midwest just isn’t connecting in the southern states, or anywhere for that matter. Things will have to change and quickly. I am all for giving him 3 years, but no system will work without recruits. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Be tough for Harsin to survive another 6 win season with no recruiting going on. Seems that most of this staff, being from the Midwest just isn’t connecting in the southern states, or anywhere for that matter. Things will have to change and quickly. I am all for giving him 3 years, but no system will work without recruits. 

NIL 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

It has nothing to do with geography. That's just another excuse. Saban was from WV/Mich St he did fine. Urban from yhe same area dominated recruiting at UF.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It has nothing to do with geography. That's just another excuse. Saban was from WV/Mich St he did fine. Urban from yhe same area dominated recruiting at UF.

You may have a point about Saban but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THERE IS NO COMPRISON BETWEEN HARSIN AND MEYER.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You may have a point about Saban but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THERE IS NO COMPRISON BETWEEN HARSIN AND MEYER.

Yes, one is an excellent recruiter. I agree

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, one is an excellent recruiter. I agree

The modern day equivalent to Meyer when Florida hired him would be Luke Fickell.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

The modern day equivalent to Meyer when Florida hired him would be Luke Fickell.

But he's not from the south....can't recruit 

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Then again, everyone knows Meyer is as unethical a coach that has been around in quite a long time. He had ZERO character, so in my opinion, anything he did accomplish in his coaching career is severely contaminated. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Saban also spent time in SEC at LSU and won a natty before failing in the NFL. He had learned plenty about recruiting in the South by the time he failed miserably in the NFL and came to Bama. In comparison, his days at MSU are and have been moot for two decades. 

• Like 1

I think this coaching staff is still learning the territory and just how cut throat recruiting down here can get.  They’ve had 18 months to get educated, they’re now building relationships and selling Auburn.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Saban also spent time in SEC at LSU and won a natty before failing in the NFL. He had learned plenty about recruiting in the South by the time he failed miserably in the NFL and came to Bama. In comparison, his days at MSU are and have been moot for two decades. 

I'm talking about him going to LSU and recruiting well.  He wasn't "from the south" when he went to LSU and didn't have piddling recruiting classes.

Anyone who uses that excuse is just typing something to make themselves feel better

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

And a pathetic excuse for a human being also. 

OK. Coaching is a pretty dirty business. 

Edited by W.E.D

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

I think this coaching staff is still learning the territory and just how cut throat recruiting down here can get.  They’ve had 18 months to get educated, they’re now building relationships and selling Auburn.  

But they had plenty of people on staff that knows the ropes.  Last year they had Bobo, Mason, Carnell, Zac, Friend all with knowledge of the area and SEC recruiting.  50% of the staff.  WR coach new the area, just little SEC experience. 

If it was 100% Boise I think there would be a point, but there was plenty of SEC recruiting talent.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

But they had plenty of people on staff that knows the ropes.  Last year they had Bobo, Mason, Carnell, Zac, Friend all with knowledge of the area and SEC recruiting.  50% of the staff.  WR coach new the area, just little SEC experience. 

If it was 100% Boise I think there would be a point, but there was plenty of SEC recruiting talent.  

You are correct and maybe I’m making excuses for these guys in my own way and glossing over things.  I also think the other 50% of the staff had a learning curve to overcome and hopefully now they’ve had time to acclimate.  Who knows where this all ends up but the last thing Auburn needs is another coaching carousel, we need stability in the worst way. 

• Like 5

Just now, keesler said:

You are correct and maybe I’m making excuses for these guys in my own way and glossing over things.  I also think the other 50% of the staff had a learning curve to overcome and hopefully now they’ve had time to acclimate.  Who knows where this all ends up but the last thing Auburn needs is another coaching carousel, we need stability in the worst way. 

Yeah, Bert was a complete disaster on the trail.  I don't think any recruit liked him. 

But a good counter point is Eason.  Guy never coached in college, connected with local players, and recruited really well.  Recruiting is connecting and sell kids.  Eason was successful with 0 connections or experience. 

I think Harsin is a good coach.  I was concerned about recruiting abilities, but at his opening PC he talked about he was going after top talent and knew it was important.  I never imagined it would be this bad.  I hope we can get recruiting turned around and he can be successful 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

You just proved his point. Saban had little to no recruiting experience in the South and won a Natty at LSU. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

There is also no comparison to the buy in of the PTB of uat and the gators when those two coaches were hired. I'm not defending Harsin or his recruiting, but to be fair, AU is notorious for fractured fan support. My AU grad father and my favorite Uncle both loved AU and detested Pat Dye. All he did was win games and beat uat and move the Iron bowl to home and home, BUT, he was a uga grad. I hope Harsin does great but the PTB have not bought in and that shows with lack of NIL support. Same old crap, different coach and century. I'll cheer for the team and realize that my fandom doesn't mean crap to the people who COULD make a difference. 

WDE.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

You just proved his point. Saban had little to no recruiting experience in the South and won a Natty at LSU. 

There is one big difference in that . Yes Saban didn’t have much experience. However, LSU is a state school and most kids want to attend their state school. So if he proved to be halfway competent kids were going there. CBH doesn’t have that luxury. He  has to deal with Bama and all the other sharks hovering around. Also Louisiana talent pool of players is normally bigger than Alabamas

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

It sure doesn't help us when Saban even gets accolades from rival coaches.

Steve Sarkisian at Big 12 Media Days: ‘Without Nick Saban, I wouldn’t be sitting here today’ - al.com

Saban is getting accolades from one of his rehab coaches that landed one of the best gigs in the country.

Shocker.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

It sure doesn't help us when Saban even gets accolades from rival coaches.

Steve Sarkisian at Big 12 Media Days: ‘Without Nick Saban, I wouldn’t be sitting here today’ - al.com

He’s had great success with his Coaches Rehab Program, that coaching tree is now a forest.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

LSU practically recruits itself. Louisiana is loaded with talent and those kids are very loyal. Plus.....Emmert and the Nickster were dirty recruitng and there were those troublesome loose academic requirements. Nickster did recruiting at LSU like he has done everything else.....the cheating and unethical way. Why anyone wants to call him truly successful is mind bogging. Nothing he has done has been accomplished honestly. He had a great staff at LSU and in Nickster's world he gets the credit while they do the actual work. The boosters pay the money and buy a championship. Nickster is simply good at gaming the system that used to exist before NIL. He and Emmert were both unethical and morally compromised and it has continued all these years until Emmert drove the NCAA into the ground and ....along with the Nickster....ruined college football. That's the real story. I'm pretty sick of all the "great coach" lies surrounding that little tyrant.

Edited by Tigerbelle
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1