‘Leave that man alone and let him do his freaking job’

aubiefifty

Charles Barkley comes to Bryan Harsin’s defense: ‘Leave that man alone and let him do his freaking job’

Keith Farner
1-2 minutes

Charles Barkley is one of the most outspoken supporters of all things Auburn, and these days, that includes Bryan Harsin.

As Harsin looks to work himself out from under the turmoil that enveloped the early part of the offseason, Barkley, the former star Auburn basketball player, is offering candid thoughts to the Harsin critics.

“I’m a Bryan Harsin fan,” Barkley said on The Next Round. “This is to all the Auburn people. Leave that man alone and let him do his freaking job. He’s only been there a year. Just leave the man alone and let him do his job. I’m very excited, y’all guys know I love me some Bruce Pearl. His son Steven and our entire coaching staff, I love our coaches. I love our AD, Allen Greene. If they let Allen, Bruce and Bryan Harsin do their job, I feel really good about Auburn going forward. For the people who keep bothering this man, I wish somebody would just slap the hell out of them.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Auburn fans are the least of Harsin's concerns right about now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

noot true in some auburn fans i know. they say he is a mistake and we will pay for it. they would fire him right now. i am for giving him a fair shot but he is behind the eight ball so to speak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Barkley ain't talking about the fans. He's talking about the root of all evil at Auburn.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Barkley ain't talking about the fans. He's talking about the root of all evil at Auburn.

I hear you, but in the new NIL world, that evil is more important than ever if we don't want to become football irrelevant. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I hear you, but in the new NIL world, that evil is more important than ever if we don't want to become football irrelevant. 

Has Auburn EVER? it amazed me how people come on these boards like we have at some point in our football history been historically a consistence program bless your hart.

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Has Auburn EVER? it amazed me how people come on these boards like we have at some point in our football history been historically a consistence program bless your hart.

Depends what you consider "relevant". Auburn has played for five SEC championships in this millenium, two national championships and won one national championship, something only 12 programs have done in that time. 

What I consider "football irrelevant" would be the position traditionally occupied by a team like Ole Miss who hasn't had a conference title in nearly 60 years. 

• Like 4

I remain a strong supporter of CBH but at some point he has to help himself. He has to give us something that reflects momentum. That means more than being in the bottom of the SEC in commitments in July. Beat a top rival for a transfer. Hire a coach away from a rival with a reputation as a top notch recruiter. He’s doing none of that. Meddling boosters or not, NIL or not, February turmoil or not, he and he alone has to find a way to shift the momentum of our program.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Charles Barkley comes to Bryan Harsin’s defense: ‘Leave that man alone and let him do his freaking job’

My sentiments exactly.

There are an awful lot of whiny ass grown men among the Auburn fans.

A few of them even reside here on this forum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I remain a strong supporter of CBH but at some point he has to help himself. He has to give us something that reflects momentum. That means more than being in the bottom of the SEC in commitments in July. Beat a top rival for a transfer. Hire a coach away from a rival with a reputation as a top notch recruiter. He’s doing none of that. Meddling boosters or not, NIL or not, February turmoil or not, he and he alone has to find a way to shift the momentum of our program.  

He has to do that on the field. It’s his only option now. If I am a recruit and the recruits handler and I am presented with an NIL deal via boosters to UGA, tOSU, Bama, etc of let’s say 100K per season but Auburn is not offering anything because boosters and supporters of the program are pissed at Harsin. Well wth you think I am gonna do…

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

He has to do that on the field. It’s his only option now. If I am a recruit and the recruits handler and I am presented with an NIL deal via boosters to UGA, tOSU, Bama, etc of let’s say 100K per season but Auburn is not offering anything because boosters and supporters of the program are pissed at Harsin. Well wth you think I am gonna do…

I don’t disagree with you. But we are near the bottom of the conference and nation for commitments. Every Power 5 commitment is not getting $100,000. The NIL is obviously a factor, but it’s turning into AUs latest excuse. For several years we squawked about not having a football performance center. Now we have one and it’s as if we still don’t. He does need to win on the field but we can’t continue to wait until our rivals fill their class for us to get started filling ours. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 4

winning will take care of everything. it is that simple. he is the guy guy that can do more with less right? i am pretty sure that was said when he was hired. i am behind him but he did screw up recruiting not calling players back and the meet and greets at high schools and all that. but i still think he can get it done and the more success he shows the better it gets for everyone except for those die hards that just do not like him. heck i know auburn fans mad because they think he ran bo off. it cracks me up because those same handful gave bo hell last season. in a thirteen or more games per season he should be hitting nine or ten to make me happy and i do not expect that right away but if he cannot have a winning record like seven or six i will be afraid he is in over his head. personally i like the man. but recruiting and nil might be his downfall. but did we not all mostly think a kid would get nil money for his image and on college football games for play station? if i knew it was going to turn into this mess i would have been dead against it. kids basically going to the highest bidder and we cannot even seem to get rolling is going to be hard to catch up. hell i am old as dirt and i want a couple of dream seasons where we beat the big boys on our schedule and screw up on some light weight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t disagree with you. But we are near the bottom of the conference and nation for commitments. Every Power 5 commitment is not getting $100,000. The NIL is obviously a factor, but it’s turning into AUs latest excuse. For several years we squawked about not having a football performance center. Now we have one and it’s as if we still don’t. He does need to win on the field but we can’t continue to wait until our rivals fill their class for us to get started filling ours. 

A big survey/research was done with recruits about reason for committing. A football center literally didn't matter. It's always been a tertiary thing. 

Winning, playing time, ability to play beyond collage, and now NIL all matter a lot more to top recruits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

So does anyone know factually what Auburn’s NIL strategy is? Are boosters and influential people 100% committed to this coach and program. I don’t think so, and it is reflective in recruiting. NIL is the big thing In recruiting now and due to the lack of unilateral support it is definitely having a negative impact on recruiting.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Unfortunately we built our shinny toy when everyone else already has one and have moved on to the new NIL toy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, woodford said:

5 game losing streak, not a great signing day, etc. Have another one, Chuck. 

loosing 5 doesn't have anything to with it, I'll point out several things we are our own worst enemy, we react to every negativity, we need to ditch under armour asap, 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

A big survey/research was done with recruits about reason for committing. A football center literally didn't matter. It's always been a tertiary thing. 

Winning, playing time, ability to play beyond collage, and now NIL all matter a lot more to top recruits. 

Would like to read the info of that survey if you have a link.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Would like to read the info of that survey if you have a link.

I'll have to try and find it, it was given it as a paper copy back a year or so ago. 

• Like 1