Games in Israel Thread

toddc

Dates, times, TV for Auburn basketball's Israel tour

13 minutes ago

The Block: SEC West 2022 projected order of finish

Bruce Pearl said after Auburn announced its 2022 foreign tour to that his goal was to get some television exposure for his squad. His wish was granted, as all three of the Tigers' matchups in Israel will be on SEC Network in early August.

On Monday, the program announced that its trip to Israel, officially dubbed the Birthright for College Basketball Tour, will feature games against the Israel U-20 National Team on Aug. 2, the Israel All-Star Select Team on Aug. 7 and the Israel National Team on Aug. 8. All games are set to tip off at noon CST on SEC Network.

The Tigers will play by FIBA professional rules in Israel: four 10-minute quarters and a 24-second shot clock, among some other minor changes to American college basketball.

The NCAA allows an international trip every four years; Auburn last went to Italy in the summer of 2017.

UConn is the only other known Division-I men's basketball program to take a foreign tour in Israel.

In addition to several returning pieces from last year's SEC championship roster, Israel will be the first opportunity for newcomers Yohan Traore, Johni Broome, Chance Westry and Tre Donaldson to get game experience with their new teammates.

Between games, Auburn will visit Bethlehem, Yad Vashem (the World Holocaust Remembrance Center), City of David, the Dead Sea, the Old City and the Sea of Galilee, per release.

Pearl said earlier this offseason that he hopes Auburn's trip will set a precedent for consistent, if not annual college basketball tours to Israel. Things seem to be on the right track for Pearl's vision, as the Tigers are partnered with Complete Sports Management, the Israeli Basketball Association and Athletes for Israel.

"We believe this trip will be the start of a longstanding relationship with college basketball and Israel,” said Lea Miller-Tooley, CEO of Complete Sports Management. “Coach Pearl’s vision coupled with SEC Network’s coverage will make for an unprecedented trip. Complete Sports Management is proud to be part of history in the making.”

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Really hard to know what to expect as far as competition. The full strength national team would be a tall task for us (Deni Avdija from the Wizards, a couple guards that have gotten NBA looks, David Blatt’s son…) but I can’t imagine they’d have Deni for this game. 

Regardless, this is exciting.

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Like 2

• Like 2

What a teat its going to be to get to watch these games!! I have no idea how much to expect out of the new guys. I'm not even sure all the recent signees will be with the team yet? Seems like most of those guys would not start school until fall? Regardless it'll be fun to watch our guys play. 

22 hours ago, gravejd said:

What a teat its going to be to get to watch these games!! I have no idea how much to expect out of the new guys. I'm not even sure all the recent signees will be with the team yet? Seems like most of those guys would not start school until fall? Regardless it'll be fun to watch our guys play. 

They've all been practicing with the team for a good while now. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 3:47 PM, GTNupe11 said:

They've all been practicing with the team for a good while now. 

Yeah, think they've been practicing as a full squad since May, pretty much right after finals for spring semester.

• Like 1

This is a great opportunity for our players to see some things many others can only read in history books.  I am excited to watch them play, but I am also excited for them to have this cultural and historical experience.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Games in Israel On SEC Network

Pearl looking forward to seeing his newcomers on foreign tour

76 minutes ago

Preseason All-SEC Pick Discusses Auburn's Defense

AUBURN, Alabama–The three true freshmen and one newcomer via the transfer portal for the 2022-23 basketball roster will get plenty of opportunities to show what they can do on Auburn’s three-game exhibition tour to Israel that starts next week. That is the word from the guy who determines the playing time, Coach Bruce Pearl.

“I think we may have a different starting lineup each game,” Pearl said. “I am not trying to determine who my best players are right this second.

“We have got time to put this thing together. If I start deciding who’s who in the zoo right now, that’s not fair. I have got August, September. I have got October. I have got plenty of time for those guys to show me who they can be, including on this trip.

“I would imagine there are going be 10 guys, 11 guys playing every game, but 10 guys playing 20 minutes so we’ll share the sugar,” Pearl said. “I may have a couple guys that don’t even dress for every game.”

The four signees have been on campus all summer working out with their new teammates looking to fit in with a program that won the 2021-22 SEC regular season championship.

“Culture is everything,” Pearl said as the Tigers turn up the practice intensity before leaving on Sunday for their exhibition tour that begins with a game on Tuesday vs. the Israeli Under-20 National Team at Jerusalem.

“If you recruit them the right way, then you have a chance for them to have some success early,” Pearl said of his 2022 signee class that includes freshmen Tre Donaldson, Chance Westry and Yohan Traore along with Johni Broome, a transfer from Morehead State University.

“If you promise them too much then they are going to wind up disappointed, I guarantee you,” Pearl said. “All of these guys have been promised the opportunity and they are good, they are all talented. It is going to be fun to watch them play.”

The past season a true freshman, Jabari Smith, said he was promised an opportunity rather than a starting spot. He parlayed that into SEC and national freshman of the year honors on the way to being the third player selected in the NBA Draft.

Smith was a five-star recruit as is 6-10, 225 Traore, who has shown a smooth shooting touch in summer workouts with the Tigers.

Yohan Traore, you will see he has got that next level ...because he has a different level of lift, a different level of ability to stay in the air,” Pearl pointed out. “He can shoot the ball. He has got some tools in the toolbox, he is just very young in the game.

“He is from France,” Pearl noted. “He has only been playing basketball for about four years and you can tell, but he is going to get there.”

Donaldson, who is 6-2, 190 pounds, had the opportunity to play both basketball and football at Auburn, but plans to concentrate on hoops as a freshman.

Tre Donaldson is a quarterback who is trying to play basketball full-time,” Pearl said. “He comes into a deep point guard(roster), but he knew that coming in so he will learn a lot from Zep (Jasper) and from Wendell (Green). I hope he learns some of the right things from K.D. (Johnson) and some of the wrong things from K.D. K.D. has done a good job with leadership there.”

Pearl added that he likes Donaldson’s physical play, his work ethic and willingness to compete. “From the cultural standpoint, he is a great fit,” the coach said.

Westry is a four-star recruit, who measures in at 6-6, 190 pounds. “Chance Westry is the guy who can play one through three (point guard, shooting guard, small forward) and gives me great flexibility,” Pearl said.

“He has got things you can’t teach. He has got an understanding. Those guys are really good because it gives you great flexibility in (playing) rotations.”

10487721.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Chance Westry is shown in action as a four-star prospect. (Photo: Jon Lopez/Jon Lopez Creative/Nike EYBL)

Broome, who is 6-10, 235 pounds, is a two-time Ohio Valley Conference selection. Last season he led his team in scoring at 16 points per game as well as rebounding at 10.5. He set a school record for single-season blocks with 131.

Johni Broome did it at a mid-major level, night in and night out, scoring with his back to the basket, a pretty good shot blocker,” Pearl said. “We have been pleased with how Johni moves laterally. I think he is going to fit in defensively with what we like to do.

“For him, can he continue to score at the same efficiency rate against the size he will see at this level night in and night out, and can he transition to the perimeter a little bit more because you know we like to use our bigs on the perimeter?

“When you blend those guys in with the guys we have got returning, it will be fun to see what we are capable of doing,” the coach added. “We are going to learn a lot, we are going to learn a lot about ourselves.”

After the exhibition opener at Malha Arena in Jerusalem vs. the Israel Under-20 National Team, games two and three are scheduled to be played at the Sport Palace in Tel Aviv vs. the Israel All-Star Select Team on Aug. 7 and the Israel National Team on Aug. 8. Each of the contests is planned for noon CDT starts with television coverage on the SEC Network.

Tigers Expect Strong Competition in Israel

• Thanks 1

‘Don’t fart in the Dead Sea’: Pearl on trip to Israel

By Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com
3 minutes

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl is a firm believer in teaching his players to learn from the mistakes of others, so they don’t repeat those errors. Typically, those lessons are about basketball. Sometimes, of course, the Pearls of wisdom go beyond the court into the real world.

Pearl gave a lighthearted example of a faux pas he made during a Monday chat with reporters to preview the team’s travel to Israel in the inaugural “Birthright for College Basketball” preseason foreign tour.

“Hopefully, they’ll be smart enough not to splash or fart in the Dead Sea,” Pearl deadpanned during his Zoom meeting with local reporters. “Don’t splash or fart in the Dead Sea because both can be painful.”

Pearl, KD Johnson, Zep Jasper, Wendell Green, and the rest of the Tiger squad will travel from Neville Arena to Holy Land from July 31 to Aug. 10 for three games broadcast on the SEC Network.

Read More Auburn hoops: Auburn hoops sets preseason exhibition with UAH

Charles Barkley’s comments about LGBTQ community go viral: ‘If you’re gay or transgender, I love you’

Here’s the schedule of games and how to watch:

Aug. 2 – Auburn vs. Israel U-20 National Team | Malha Arena | Jerusalem, Israel (Free Admission)

Noon (CT) / 1 p.m. (ET) / 8 p.m. (Local Time in Israel) on SEC Network

Aug. 7 – Auburn vs. Israel All-Star Select Team | Hader Yosef Gym | North Tel Aviv, Israel (Free Admission)

Aug. 8 – Auburn vs. Israel National Team | Sport Palace Tel Aviv Yafo | Tel Aviv, Israel (Ticketed Game)

Pearl will take his players on several sightseeing adventures, including a stop to visit the Dead Sea. Pearl offered some words of wisdom for his team before they got into the salt lake bordered by Jordan to the East and Israel and the West Bank to the West.

The Dead Sea’s salinity and density make the lake great for floating and is said to have restorative powers. However, according to Pearl, if one isn’t careful, they might get a surprise.

“You don’t want to get that salt in your eyes,” Pearl said. “It’ll burn, and the same thing will happen on the other end. You just don’t want to know.”

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

Speaking from experience, it’s such a strange feeling to be in water and be physically unable to sink. 

18 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

‘Don’t fart in the Dead Sea’: Pearl on trip to Israel

By Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com
3 minutes

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl is a firm believer in teaching his players to learn from the mistakes of others, so they don’t repeat those errors. Typically, those lessons are about basketball. Sometimes, of course, the Pearls of wisdom go beyond the court into the real world.

Pearl gave a lighthearted example of a faux pas he made during a Monday chat with reporters to preview the team’s travel to Israel in the inaugural “Birthright for College Basketball” preseason foreign tour.

“Hopefully, they’ll be smart enough not to splash or fart in the Dead Sea,” Pearl deadpanned during his Zoom meeting with local reporters. “Don’t splash or fart in the Dead Sea because both can be painful.”

Pearl, KD Johnson, Zep Jasper, Wendell Green, and the rest of the Tiger squad will travel from Neville Arena to Holy Land from July 31 to Aug. 10 for three games broadcast on the SEC Network.

Read More Auburn hoops: Auburn hoops sets preseason exhibition with UAH

Charles Barkley’s comments about LGBTQ community go viral: ‘If you’re gay or transgender, I love you’

Here’s the schedule of games and how to watch:

Aug. 2 – Auburn vs. Israel U-20 National Team | Malha Arena | Jerusalem, Israel (Free Admission)

Aug. 7 – Auburn vs. Israel All-Star Select Team | Hader Yosef Gym | North Tel Aviv, Israel (Free Admission)

Aug. 8 – Auburn vs. Israel National Team | Sport Palace Tel Aviv Yafo | Tel Aviv, Israel (Ticketed Game)

Pearl will take his players on several sightseeing adventures, including a stop to visit the Dead Sea. Pearl offered some words of wisdom for his team before they got into the salt lake bordered by Jordan to the East and Israel and the West Bank to the West.

The Dead Sea’s salinity and density make the lake great for floating and is said to have restorative powers. However, according to Pearl, if one isn’t careful, they might get a surprise.

“You don’t want to get that salt in your eyes,” Pearl said. “It’ll burn, and the same thing will happen on the other end. You just don’t want to know.”

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

• Haha 1

AUBURN  Bruce Pearl and the Auburn basketball program are preparing for their summer trip to Israel.

Pearl’s team will head overseas for the inaugural “Birthright for College Basketball” tour, with the Tigers heading to Israel on July 31 for a 10-day trip that will wrap up Aug. 10. During the tour, Auburn will play in three exhibition games against Israel’s top teams.

Auburn will play the Israel U-20 National Team on Aug. 2 at Malha Arena in Jerusalem, followed by back-to-back games against the Israel All-Star select team on Aug. 7 and the Israel National Team on Aug. 8 at Sport Palace Tel Aviv Yafo in Tel Aviv. Games will be played in front of fans and will be played using FIBA rules, including a four-quarter format as opposed to the two-half setup used in NCAA competition.

JOIN AUBURN LIVE: ONE YEAR FOR $1

The games will be televised on the SEC Network. ESPN analysts Jay Bilas and Roxy Bernstein will call the games. The trio spoke to the media on Monday in advance of the overseas tour. Here’s what they had to say:

Bruce Pearl on the importance of the trip

I’m so grateful to Auburn and the NCAA. Auburn is going to allow us to take my kids to Israel and experience something that could be once in a lifetime. One of the things our guys are going to find out is that they love their basketball in Israel and they’re good. We’re going to get all we want. From the NCAA standpoint, the rule about going overseas is a great rule. Let’s not ever give that up. Go all over the world. This is a great thing. We want them to go with their eyes and ears open. It’s an opportunity for them to open their hearts and minds to see if they can hear and feel something special.

When you think about your greatest moments in life — it was because of who you shared it with. We’re going to share this trip together, see things for the first time that we’ll never forget. That’ll give us a chance to come together and get to know each other better.

I’m grateful to ESPN for going with us and telling this story. I’m hoping that what we create is an every-year thing. This isn’t done, but this is my dream and vision. Next year, we make this a two-country stop. We play in the UAE (United Arab Emirates), compete against their teams, then we go to Israel and compete against some of their teams, and call it the “Abraham Cup,” or the “Abraham Accords Cup.” How can we contribute to peace in the middle east? Normalization. We’re going over to play basketball. There may have been a time when people thought that wasn’t a good idea — that’s why we want to try and do that.

Pearl on his expectations for team development

We may have a different starting lineup each game. The last game against the Israeli national team — that’s going to be the most challenging game of all. I want to start someone different every game. I’m not trying to determine who my best player is right now. We’ve only had a summer. We have to put this thing together. I have August, September, October, I have plenty of time for those guys to show me who they are. We’ll share the sugar. I may have a couple guys that don’t even dress for every game. Our basic stuff will be in. The 24-second shot clock, I’m tooling with more pressure and little more zone, those guys will shoot well, so we have to be careful with the zone. That’ll be different than the 30-second shot clock. We’ll be playing four quarters — that’ll be different.

Pearl on what he hopes his team takes away from the trip

You have to let them take away what they want to take away. Seeing is believing living it — you ask anyone in Israel, ‘what can we do?’ They tell you, ‘come back. Send someone else over.’ That’s all. That’s what we’ll do. We’re going to let them experience things. The best thing they’re going to do is walk around Jerusalem. That’s the best thing they’re going to do. The world becomes small when you go over there. It’s a very small world when you’re somewhere else you never thought you’d be. It’s going to effect them as fathers, adults. That’s what we hope to get out of it.

Jay Bilas, Roxy Bernstein on tagging along with Auburn on the trip

Bilas: We couldn’t be more honored to be traveling with Auburn for this once-in-a-lifetime trip. We’re thrilled beyond words. I played on a foreign tour in college — it was a good education for us beyond basketball. more than anything, it served to bring our team together more than any other experience we had during the four years. When you’re spending that much time together and at the same time competing — there was nothing that helped our development more than that trip. Auburn will find that at a high level with this trip to Israel. When we were asked to do this, my answer was, ‘absolutely, can I please do this?’ Anything that Auburn needs, they got. I can’t wait to join them on this trip.

Bernstein: I couldn’t wait to say yes fast enough when they proposed this opportunity. I went to Israel four years ago with my family and it was a life-changing experience. Here’s the opportunity to go back four years later and I’m so excited to see what they have to offer. The amazing culture and history they’re about to embark on.

Bilas on the overall significance of Auburn’s trip to Israel

I think the significance is almost beyond what can be put into words. There’s a special feeling that everyone takes from this trip. The cultural and historic value, but where things are geo-politically, we’re going to learn a lot from this trip. The fact that it has so much faith-based significance for the people on the trip will be of special significance. I don’t think anybody is throwing that word ‘special’ around, and I’m certainly not going to take how special this trip is going to be for granted. These things, as far as a team coming closer together, Auburn’s a close team and program already. Teams take trips that are great — I think this has the opportunity to be the most significant trip I’ve ever heard of, frankly. For a close program to get even closer together, and do it with the setting of Israel, will have longterm benefits and ramifications that none of us can even fathom right now. It’s one thing to tell someone something, it’s another to have them feel it. Everyone involved will feel the significance of this trip on a deeper level.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:52 PM, gravejd said:

well milk that teat for all it is worth bro!   lol

• Haha 2

• Like 1

All three games are at the same time too.

• toddc changed the title to Games in Israel Thread

Tigers cruise to victory in exhibition hoops opener in Israel

21 minutes ago

Bruce Pearl Auburn's Basketball Tour In Israel

Auburn was never seriously challenged as the defending Southeastern Conference basketball champions opened their three-game exhibition tour with a 117-56 victory over the Israeli Under-20 National Team on Thursday night in Jerusalem.

Coach Bruce Pearl’s team used strong defense and dominance on the boards to take control early. The Tigers led 24-8 after the opening 10-minute quarter and stretched the margin to 57-22 by halftime with the help of a 37-12 rebounding advantage in the opening two periods.

The Tigers led 80-40 after three quarters and kept the pressure on by outscoring the home team 37-16 in the final quarter.

In his Auburn debut five-star recruit Yohan Traore led the Tigers in scoring with 20 points with 13 coming in the fourth quarter. The 6-10 power forward from France added eight rebounds.

Joining him in double figures for scoring was another newcomer, center Johni Broome, with 17 points. The 6-10 junior just missed a double-double, finishing with nine rebounds.

Dylan Cardwell did post a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds while blocking three shots.

Others in double figures for scoring include  K.D. Johnson (13 points) while Wendell Green, Jaylin Williamsand freshman Chance Westry each added 10 points.

Pearl said he liked what he saw from his players. “Obviously, we played hard today. It is the first time we played together. The kids enjoyed playing with each other.”

The Tigers have been busy touring the historical and holy sites in the Jerusalem area and will visit more in the coming days. Auburn's head coach said the team has received a warm welcome. "The people have been wonderful," he noted. "They have been so kind and they are so happy we are here."

The Tigers got nine points from Allen Flanigan, six from Zep Jasper, four from Chris Moore, and two apiece from freshman Tre Donaldson and Babatunde "Stretch" Akingbola. Lior Berman, who represented the United States team that won the gold medal at the 2022 World Maccabi Game in Israel, is with the team but unable to play due to an injury.

The Tigers will play their second game on the trip on Sunday in Tel Aviv vs. an all-star squad featuring pro players from leagues in Israel. Tipoff for that contest is noon CDT with coverage on the SEC Network, which will also televise Auburn’s game the following day vs. the Israeli National Team.

(More to come.)

It’s a shame Lior didn’t get to play because his 92 year old (I think) grandfather lives in Israel and was there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Awesome 👏 

• Like 1
  • Love 2