Games in Israel Thread

toddc

BMatt’s Monday musings

1654600730931-5102.jpg

AUBURN | I’ve only seen them play twice, on T.V., 6,557 miles away, and against questionable competition.

But I’m sold, completely sold on Bruce Pearl’s 2022-23 basketball Tigers. My confidence starts with a newcomer class that looks like a complete home run.

I honestly had no idea Yohan Traore was *this* athletic for a 6-foot-10 forward. He’s a different type of 4 than Jabari Smith, but he’s going to be just as fun to watch.

Cardwell  has stepped up his play going into his junior season.
Cardwell has stepped up his play going into his junior season. (Auburn athletics)

He’s a player that will score from the paint to beyond the arc, and is going to provide some show-stopping moments on the fast break.

Chance Westry has also surprised me with the maturity he plays with on the floor, especially his defense. He’s also a better shooter than I expected, from 3-point range and those pull-up jumpers just outside the lane.

Johni Broome is everything I thought he was going to be and gives Auburn a powerful 5 that can defend, play physical on offense and defense and has a nice finishing touch around the basket.

And I certainly don’t want to leave out Tre Donaldson, who may have to fight for minutes this season, but is already showing a ton of upside with his quickness, toughness and ability to finish around the rim.

When his time comes, he can be a special point guard for AU.

I’m not going to break down the entire roster but among the returning players, Al Flanigan looks to have his quickness back and several others look to have taken a step forward in their development, especially Dylan Cardwell.

The biggest test for this team on its tour comes later today against the Israel National Team. Then it will be a three-month wait until George Mason visits Neville Arena to open the season.

Can’t get here fast enough as far as I’m concerned.

Note time change for game today: 12:30

Donaldson is definitely going to make his case for starting caliber minutes next season. That guy’s velocity and accuracy on those transition passes, he might’ve been playing the wrong side of the ball in football.

Westry being as solid as he’s been so far when it came to facilitating might’ve hurt his chance to be a real contributor this season, but he’s got everything to be like a Sahvir Wheeler type and be top 10 in APG every season he starts 

Educate me if you have time.  That just doesn't make sense in my brain.

Love the athleticism of our front court.  Can’t possibly be many teams with the combo of size and raw athleticism… broome, cardwell, traore, williams.

im just not sold on tre like some of you.  I see potential but I thought he was a little unsteady against pressure.  But then again I’m not a real bball guy.

love the midrange game from westry.  Not many players nowadays will stop/pop a 12 foot 2.

All around I like this team.  I don’t think we’ll win the sec but I think we’ll scare everyone and have the opportunity to make a March run.  The combo of talent and mature team.

Playing a “we’re serious about winning” starting lineup today. Could be what we see for game 1 in November. 

Wendell, Zep, Allen, Traore and Cardwell.

Cardwell steal. Flan oop and Cardwell misses the easy slam.

A deflection, and then almost another steal.

3 for Israel.

3-0 Israel.

Green misses a deep 3.

Great ball movement from Israel, misses an open 3 but they get the rebound.

Another miss, and Flan with the rebound.

shot clock violation on Auburn. Rough possession.

This is a much better team than we’ve played thus far. 

Yep. They've got us discombobulated defensively. 

Leaving these dudes wide open, they're just missing.

Traore inside and is fouled, will shoot 2.

Makes the first. Makes the second.

3-2 Israel

New 5 on the floor.

Jaylin, Westry, KD, Broome, and Moore

Jaylin with the bucket.

Another open 3 for Israel.

11-6 Israel

Edited by tgrogan21

No NCAA team will pass this well, on the bright side.

Generally speaking the passing in the international game is far better than anything taught in the US system. Will save my thoughts on AAU etc for another thread…ha.

• Like 1

Williams, dunks and it comes out. :(

Steal from Broome.

Foul on Broome on the post up. That's the 2nd foul on the Israel guy.

11-8 Israel at media timeout

TBH, we probably won't play a better team all season. These guys are all older with professional experience.

It sounds like being a sourpuss, but there’s so much more you can derive from a good Auburn performance than a bad one. These guys should be way smarter than we are, and they’re showing it