Auburn is at a cross road

eaglenest

On 7/19/2022 at 12:50 PM, aubiefifty said:

maybe auburn is at the crossroads selling their soul to the devil?

image.jpeg.c7d0a9235f2efa4626e7d25825aa2b5f.jpegSomeone mention the devil?😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CodeRocket said:

Perhaps this entire fiasco left CBH with a deep wound to his family, his reputation, and his career. Maybe he has a axe to grind and maybe he is grinding it right now. One thing is for certain, he is definitely in the power seat, with respect to any buyout negotiations that might take place. If we win more games than expected this season he will be viewed as a fine coach who had to overcome a lot of obstacles (This is the outcome I am hoping for). If the season doesn't go well, there is still that substantial buyout, and poor recruiting results to deal with. A few years of poor recruiting could be disastrous but then there is that contract. All of this with the buyout of CGM's contract still fresh in everyone's mind. The Auburn family could find itself in for a few years of static status quo.

If we fire Harsin, it will be afew years of “well deserved” static status quo IMO.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t think so. Smart literally just beat Saban for the first time ever. I don’t think Smart would have a single division title (maybe one), if he were at Auburn during the same span he’s been at UGA. Saban has a serious psychological hold on that guy.

If KS was at AU, we would finish first or second in the SEC most years, just like UGA. He’s a better coach than we’ve had in decades. Or at least better suited for these times. 

And Saban may have had a hold on KS, but that is gone or at least slipping. Either way, KS will be around long after Saban. 

If you don’t want KS, who would you want? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cbo said:

If KS was at AU, we would finish first or second in the SEC most years, just like UGA. He’s a better coach than we’ve had in decades. Or at least better suited for these times. 

And Saban may have had a hold on KS, but that is gone or at least slipping. Either way, KS will be around long after Saban. 

This is funny (to me only, probably). I drove by, read your post interpreting KS as Kevin Steele and almost called for a welfare check for you. Entirely my bad. But, yeah, at some point Auburn is going to have to figure out what's holding it back, espouse itself of it or them, and start swinging for the fences. I notice a ton of paranoia and fear driving opinions and maybe it drives hires, too. Gonna have to accept that there are no guarantees anywhere. Hire the best, support the best, and even if your current best coach leaves, there will be a line at the door of qualified coaches who want to pick up where that guy left off (with at least pretty good recruits in the stable). Or not. I'm an alumnus and supporter either way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Just do your research on what occurred in January and Feb. It’s not some grand conspiracy. CBH had a lottttt of red flags that were honestly unprecedented at a place like Auburn.

- The Smoke Monday IG live.

- Our best coach taking a paycut for a lateral job at a lesser school.

- Missing every single prospect we went after for NSD.

- Hiring an unproven OC with no experience then having that OC quit after a week.

These things aren’t normal. They aren’t “oh well, that’s college football”. An investigation was warranted to see WTH was going on and if CBH was tenable at Auburn.

I saw someone literally try to argue "people are always leaving the program!" (it was a dub of the hospital scene from Incredibles) on the Auburn subreddit. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AUx said:

This is funny (to me only, probably). I drove by, read your post interpreting KS as Kevin Steele and almost called for a welfare check for you. Entirely my bad. But, yeah, at some point Auburn is going to have to figure out what's holding it back, espouse itself of it or them, and start swinging for the fences. I notice a ton of paranoia and fear driving opinions and maybe it drives hires, too. Gonna have to accept that there are no guarantees anywhere. Hire the best, support the best, and even if your current best coach leaves, there will be a line at the door of qualified coaches who want to pick up where that guy left off (with at least pretty good recruits in the stable). Or not. I'm an alumnus and supporter either way.

Definitely not just funny to you. 

This is such a good post, I couldn't decide which positive emoji to use. Every word is true. 

• Like 1

When you boil it down, the best run organizations really are the ones that are most aligned and have everyone respecting their roles. I see it first hand because I'm a big Braves fan, one of the best run in sports imo, and AU, one of the most dysfunctional.

The Braves are all about unity and image. Liberty let's McGuirk handle the day to day. McGuirk let's AA handle all the moves, and he approves all of them. AA trusts his scouts and Dana Brown's advice and actually does what they say. No ego seems to ever ruin anything. They don't seem to micromanage Snitker at all. During their rebuild, fans were pissed, but everyone linked arms and actually had each others backs and stayed the course. Look how it's panned out lately. Just really well run all around, and they've done this for decades, well before the current regime came in. 

Auburn on the other hand has always seemed to do the oppossite. The word alignment is often overused, but it's true. We have no alignment, unity, leadership, and vision. The boosters want to control everyone. The President either wants to be hands off or way too hands on (Leath). Nobody seems to communicate or be on the same page. The AD's are either puppets (JJ) or ostracized (AG). The coaches either have support but no control (Tot, Gus), or have control but no support (Tubs/Harsin).

Unlike the Braves we don't fiercely protect our palace and public relations. Jetgate, Stoops gate, Harsin gate, Bowden issues with Lowder and paying players. Assistants stabbing their own HC's in the back (Brother Oliver and possibly Steele). It's really just beyond crazy. People claim it's conspiracy, but it's not. There's too many instances at this point. It's simply not how a healthy organization functions. Sorry guys, it's true. 

And let me add I'm not saying this to squat on Auburn. I love AU and want it to get better. We've accomplished a lot in spite of this dysfunction. But every organization should aim to always improve no matter how things are going.

Edited by au302
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, e808 said:

Plus u also have to add in the fact that Alabama rarely goes undefeated. I see it just like the Auburn series for the most part. Bama isn’t winning at UGA. I don’t think Kirby is the greatest X’s and O’s guy but he has surrounded himself with the talent and coaches to win.

Sure it took a few times to beat Saban but he finally did it when it mattered most. 

Agree to disagree. Kirby doesn’t have the success he has at UGA without a dog crap schedule every year. They lose more often than not when they face remotely comparable talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUx said:

But, yeah, at some point Auburn is going to have to figure out what's holding it back

It's obvious to me, but I don't have a billion dollars, a cowboy hat, and an ego the size of Texas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

He probably would win a NC here with the talent he gets. He definitely would be in the running for having us in contentions to make the playoffs every year. Why would him being in the west matter if he is stockpiling talent? I don’t think LSU or the aggies are consistently beating UGA.

Hell Texas A&M has a bad enough time consistently beating the teams they have way more talent than noq. I just think it’s hilarious you say you don’t want CKS but also have been critiquing the hell out of CBH (rightfully so) for not stockpiling talent. That really doesn’t make sense man. I mean weren’t you one of the ones who really wanted Mario Cristobal? He has done far less than anything CKS has done. 

It matters because CKS is 12-8 against the West at UGA. He’s 30-5 against the East. 

Of course you have to stockpile talent. Idk what that has to do with anything. I’m saying Kirby is in a very advantageous position at UGA specifically and I think it’s pretty obvious he would not have the same level of success at Auburn.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Carnell said:

Look if the administrators were dissatisfied with those situations cited above they should have just fired the guy because they can fire without cause but in that case they still have to honor the terms of the contract.  The reason for the investigation was to try to terminate and not have to pay off under the terms.  And that would involve moral, legal or ethical issues.  I am questioning what evidence they had to suggest Harsin questionable moral or ethical issues.

As I understand it some money people were fully ready to fire him without cause.

3 hours ago, cbo said:

Look, I’m not saying KS isn’t a good coach. He is. He’s top tier.

But some of y’all are talking about him like he’s some hall of fame, once in a generation coach that we let get away. That’s nuts to me. 

He’s a slightly better Richt in a MUCH worse East. I’m not sweating that spilled milk. And from a pure personal standpoint, I’m glad I don’t have to look at that code-switching bowl cut as the face of our program. 

He’s a goofy dude. 

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Look, I’m not saying KS isn’t a good coach. He is. He’s top tier.

But some of y’all are talking about him like he’s some hall of fame, once in a generation coach that we let get away. That’s nuts to me. 

He’s a slightly better Richt in a MUCH worse East. I’m not sweating that spilled milk. And from a pure personal standpoint, I’m glad I don’t have to look at that code-switching bowl cut as the face of our program. 

He’s a goofy dude. 

Of course he's a goofy dude. He's probably a legit awful person. I don't want to hang out with him anymore than I want to hang out with Saban.  We are talking about grown men who call teenagers "*******" for a living. I guarantee I have 10 friends who are more fun and better people than him.

But I do like watching Auburn football. Much more when they win. I like the players and I like them being in the best position to succeed when they choose to come to our program. 

Kirby Smart is a winner. He very well may go down as a hall of fame coach. He's much better than anything Auburn has hired in decades. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Kirby Smart couldn't recruit at AU the way he has at UGA. He'd be somewhat better than what we've done the past few years but thinking he'd come here and recruit the same as he has at UGA isn't thinking it through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Kirby Smart couldn't recruit at AU the way he has at UGA. He'd be somewhat better than what we've done the past few years but thinking he'd come here and recruit the same as he has at UGA isn't thinking it through.

Prior to last season there was very real talk that Kirby was a lesser Richt and wasn’t ever going to get them over the hump. He had lost a ton of huge games. I don’t think he’s magically a different coach now. We’ll see how he does but I am not sold on him ever running the conference like Saban or Spurrier.

• Like 1

I think Kirby could have done a hell of a job at AU. Yeah his offense sucks. He knows how to play the game.. The long game. Inside and out. The reason he wasn't hired is because Auburn and whoever was making decisions weren't playing the long game. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It matters because CKS is 12-8 against the West at UGA. He’s 30-5 against the East. 

Of course you have to stockpile talent. Idk what that has to do with anything. I’m saying Kirby is in a very advantageous position at UGA specifically and I think it’s pretty obvious he would not have the same level of success at Auburn.

So answer the question , who would you want then ? Because I am pretty sure you were on the Mario Cristobal hype train who has done far less in a much weaker conference. I am pretty sure half of those losses come from Nick Saban either in the SEC championship game or a NC game. 90% coaches aren’t beating NS consistently and I am not even asking to have a coach do that. He is the GOAT.

But I can tell you CKS would have Auburn in contention almost every year to be in playoff discussion. Who is a coach that you recommend that would do that?  I mean look at the things you are saying . “He would do a little bit better than Gus.” Well some of the people on this forum love Gus , so wouldn’t that be a positive ?

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We’ll see how he does but I am not sold on him ever running the conference like Saban or Spurrier.

Come on man , one of those coaches is the best to ever do it. The other is not too shabby . That’s huge gap between them and a little bit better than Gus Malzahn who Kirby Smart owned. 

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

As I understand it some money people were fully ready to fire him without cause.

So why didn't they? I disagreed vehemently with the investigation and the manner in which it was handled.  Once it got out and the administration allowed the perception that the coach was a dead man walking , I couldn't believe AU DIDN'T fire him. Or that he stayed . If I was the main man at AU he would've been let go at that point. If I was Harsin, I would have told everyone to write me a check for 5 million and kiss off.  What we accomplished is program purgatory, truly a perfect example of JABA. If BH manages to build a winner after all that, and I would be shocked if he did, he would be a miracle worker.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

So why didn't they? I disagreed vehemently with the investigation and the manner in which it was handled.  Once it got out and the administration allowed the perception that the coach was a dead man walking , I couldn't believe AU DIDN'T fire him. Or that he stayed.

And you can bet every team we are recruiting against (not just the SEC teams) is using that point with recruits.  Why would you want to go to AU when they've got a lame duck head coach?  We seem to be our own worst enemy.  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, DAG said:

So answer the question , who would you want then ? Because I am pretty sure you were on the Mario Cristobal hype train who has done far less in a much weaker conference. I am pretty sure half of those losses come from Nick Saban either in the SEC championship game or a NC game. 90% coaches aren’t beating NS consistently and I am not even asking to have a coach do that. He is the GOAT.

But I can tell you CKS would have Auburn in contention almost every year to be in playoff discussion. Who is a coach that you recommend that would do that?  I mean look at the things you are saying . “He would do a little bit better than Gus.” Well some of the people on this forum love Gus , so wouldn’t that be a positive ?

There are a lot of offshoots in your post (ex: “some people love Gus, so wouldn’t that be a positive”) that don’t have anything to do with my opinion, so I’ll just stick to your first question.

I would take Cristobal, Aranda, or Fickell over him. 

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

So why didn't they? I disagreed vehemently with the investigation and the manner in which it was handled.  Once it got out and the administration allowed the perception that the coach was a dead man walking , I couldn't believe AU DIDN'T fire him. Or that he stayed . If I was the main man at AU he would've been let go at that point. If I was Harsin, I would have told everyone to write me a check for 5 million and kiss off.  What we accomplished is program purgatory, truly a perfect example of JABA. If BH manages to build a winner after all that, and I would be shocked if he did, he would be a miracle worker.  

No you wouldn’t because that would effectively end your coaching career. CBH knows had he been fired for ineptitude after 1 season at a marquee program, he would never be able to find a HC job at a decent program again. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

There are a lot of offshoots in your post (ex: “some people love Gus, so wouldn’t that be a positive”) that don’t have anything to do with my opinion, so I’ll just stick to your first question.

I would take Cristobal, Aranda, or Fickell over him. 

Cristobal - proven recruiter. Could not dominate a weak pac 12 conference.  We specifically have seen him lose to an Auburn University team with a true freshman starting and he had a bon-a-fide QB at his disposal . He has a penchant of losing to underwhelming teams annually. 

Aranda - Never was a head coach in the SEC. We have no clue how he would fare here. He is doing promising at Baylor. I would love to have him, but not over CKS.

Fickell- One of the biggest complaints of CBH is he is not a southern guy and doesn't have the resources to build relationships here. He has done a great job putting Cincy on the map. All of HC experiencing is non-power 5.

Now mind you, I am not saying I would be unhappy with these guys. I am simply pointing out every single one of the guys lack something that CKS actually checks.

Great recruiter - Yes

SEC experience - Yes

Experience recruiting down south - Yes

National Championship - Yes

I mean it is your opinion, but I am baffled at how you concluded your choices over CKS right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Cristobal - proven recruiter. Could not dominate a weak pac 12 conference.  We specifically have seen him lose to an Auburn University team with a true freshman starting and he had a bon-a-fide QB at his disposal . He has a penchant of losing to underwhelming teams annually. 

Aranda - Never was a head coach in the SEC. We have no clue how he would fare here. He is doing promising at Baylor. I would love to have him, but not over CKS.

Fickell- One of the biggest complaints of CBH is he is not a southern guy and doesn't have the resources to build relationships here. He has done a great job putting Cincy on the map. All of HC experiencing is non-power 5.

Now mind you, I am not saying I would be unhappy with these guys. I am simply pointing out every single one of the guys lack something that CKS actually checks.

Great recruiter - Yes

SEC experience - Yes

Experience recruiting down south - Yes

National Championship - Yes

I mean it is your opinion, but I am baffled at how you concluded your choices over CKS right now.

You do realize CKS had never been a head coach period when he took the UGA gig, right? 

My whole point is everybody needs to stop talking about missing on CKS as if we missed on a generational coaching talent. Like we JABA’d it up, and if we hadn’t, we’d be what UGA is currently. That isn’t the case.

CKS was a solid coaching candidate in 2015, but not at all considered a home run by anyone. He’s gone to his alma mater, where he runs the only competitive program in a talent-rich state, with a weak division that allows for an easy 10+ wins every season.

He wouldn’t have any of those advantages at Auburn. I think he’d probably achieve Tubberville-like win-loss success here with a much worse record against Alabama.

Is he better than Gus and CBH? Absolutely. But I don’t think he is or would have been the answer at Auburn.