Auburn is at a cross road

eaglenest

5 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Why wasn't Kirby hired at AU if some of you guys are correct?

One of the biggest rumors is he wouldn't leave Bama early and apparently he was asking for some inclusive stuff that we wouldn't ready to give up. I honestly believe they just didn't want to give up autonomy. And I am sick of hearing that BS "OH HE WOULD'VE BOLTED TO UGA AS SOON AS HE GOT A CHANCE." Such lame excuses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

One of the biggest rumors is he wouldn't leave Bama early and apparently he was asking for some inclusive stuff that we wouldn't ready to give up. I honestly believe they just didn't want to give up autonomy. And I am sick of hearing that BS "OH HE WOULD'VE BOLTED TO UGA AS SOON AS HE GOT A CHANCE." Such lame excuses. 

For as often as you and I disagree on things, you hit the nail on the head. People forgetting the pedigree of our greatest coach of all time (that's right, better than Shug).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, DAG said:

That's my point. If our PTB only wanted the best for AU, then THEY individually, wouldn't necessarily have to be a part of the decision making or in the HCs ear all the time. Look, I'm not even saying that I would be able to back off and be treated like Saban treated boosters when he first got to uat. But to place all the blame on an AD and his hire when a good portion of the fan base and the money men hated the hire from day one is just wrong. Then, suddenly, the  choices were fire Harsin or back him. AU did neither. That was asinine. I knew that if we weren't screwed before, we darn sure were after all the wonderful publicity. What a mess. But I'll be there for the kick off and hope for the best. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 7

Investigations are tight knit, serious things. Not many people are gonna be in the loop. So somebody from within likely leaked that stuff to hurt both Harsin and Auburn. Still sickens me, as we have seen this all too much, including Jetgate. Whether it was a boogeyman booster, a disgruntled employee, I don't know, but it was sick. At least during Jetgate there was accountability for those behind it. We have yet to hear about any for this one.

Harsin may not be a good coach here, but he has conducted himself in a first class way. That is what has bothered me. We have had a lot of folks who have tried to make him out as this d-bag, a-hole that is a total maniac to everyone.

Have any of y'all ever watched this guy during game days? Maniac? If anything he needs to show some more emotion out there, lol. He is about as calm of a coach as I've seen, only behind maybe Butch Thompson. Just shows how out of hand all those rumors got, and it's sad. He and his family didn't deserve that. No family does. It goes beyond Auburn football and Auburn university imo

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Harsin doesn't have even half the resume that Dabo, Saban, smart, Kelly had when they were hired. Why do you keep bringing them up? They have no relevance to harsin and the way the program is run. 

Of you want to slober over Harsin, fine. More power to you to be the biggest sunshine pumper unrealistic fan in existence. But there is no way anyone with even functional intelligence places Harsin anywhere near any coach you mention.  

If harsin is fired after a bad season, it has nothing to do with integrity or some pretentious moral high ground you seem to think you hold, but from the fact he has done more harm to this team than any coach this century. And if you decide to no longer support Auburn after that possible firing... Well it says all we need to know about you. 

Telling that you would see asking the fan base to pull for our existing team as not supporting AU. In my opinion you have it bass akwards.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Why is Jimmy Rane front and center in this discussion anyway?

Because every conspiracy theory needs a bad guy and Rane's name is the only one most of the whisperers know.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Telling that you would see asking the fan base to pull for our existing team as not supporting AU. In my opinion you have it bass akwards.

Well that's a strawman if I've ever seen one. I specifically reference the closing thoughts. Try harder   

13 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Between Rane and itself, if they don't tell this guy thanks but no thanks it will never be a consistently S E C football program it is already showing up in recruiting by the damage he has caused, we are viewed as the keystone cops and it has nothing to do with coach Harsin, last year was no different than Saban first year at LSU/Bama or Dabo, Fisher, Smart, Tommy's Brian Kelly at ND. If Auburn cut ties with Greene and Harsin after this year I'm out and it has nothing to do about win lost record, it is simply about integrity, something that is seriously lacking at Auburn. When you are constantly being looked at from a standpoint of being dysfunctional you have a cancer somewhere that needs to be cut out, for once in my lifetime I would like to see Auburn and its fans ALL PULLING IN THE SAME DIRECTIONS when it comes to football.  

You admit you havent identified the "cancer"  but quiting will show your integrity? Good one.

12 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Harsin doesn't have even half the resume that Dabo, Saban, smart, Kelly had when they were hired. Why do you keep bringing them up? They have no relevance to harsin and the way the program is run. 

Of you want to slober over Harsin, fine. More power to you to be the biggest sunshine pumper unrealistic fan in existence. But there is no way anyone with even functional intelligence places Harsin anywhere near any coach you mention.  

If harsin is fired after a bad season, it has nothing to do with integrity or some pretentious moral high ground you seem to think you hold, but from the fact he has done more harm to this team than any coach this century. And if you decide to no longer support Auburn after that possible firing... Well it says all we need to know about you. 

I wound bring them up because neither of them would coach at Auburn because of the “meddling” reputation of its boosters. Auburn had a shot at Smart and we all know how that worked out. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Auburn is not lacking integrity.  That is just nonsense.  A lot of this Harsin brought on himself, including the recruiting.  People think that these boosters are these horrible people, when they aren't.  They are Auburn alumni who are giving their own money to the school they love.  The ones I know are really, really good people who don't give money to be recognized.  In fact, they ask for their names not to be publicized.  Legitimate and formal complaints about how Harsin was treating his staff were filed with the University so Auburn had no choice but to investigate.  That is the right thing for our University to do, instead of turn a blind eye to formal complaints like LSU and Baylor did.  The media is who took off with these other rumors.  Keep in mind these allegations took place after National Signing Day 2022 so you can't blame anyone but Harsin for that.

It was just handled in the worst possible way. These things don’t need to be a public embarrassment, and should not be public at all. There were lies and leaks, and I believe a fish stinks from the head down. When it blew up Harsin’s gall and determination resulted in a big pie in the face for Auburn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

It was just handled in the worst possible way. These things don’t need to be a public embarrassment, and should not be public at all. There were lies and leaks, and I believe a fish stinks from the head down. When it blew up Harsin’s gall and determination resulted in a big pie in the face for Auburn.

I 100% agree with you.  This should have never been public at all, and who knows where we would be if it was not made public.  My understanding from WDE was it was originally not public and the investigation was going on for some time before it did in fact become public.  Someone in the department leaks the information of the investigation and the theories ran wild.  Some of them stuck.

I do think this is something that can easily blow over, and will.  It stings now, but I think that is in part only because it happened in the off season so there is literally nothing else to talk about.  If we start winning, no one will ever think about this again, or if we lose and cut Harsin, the new coach isn't going to care about what the previous staff did.

Look at it this way, when was the last time you thought about how Miami handled their open courting of hiring Cristobal, while Manny Diaz was still head coach?  I think that was worse than Auburn situation so if Miami can stomach that, then this too shall pass, one way or another.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, au302 said:

Investigations are tight knit, serious things. Not many people are gonna be in the loop. So somebody from within likely leaked that stuff to hurt both Harsin and Auburn. Still sickens me, as we have seen this all too much, including Jetgate. Whether it was a boogeyman booster, a disgruntled employee, I don't know, but it was sick. At least during Jetgate there was accountability for those behind it. We have yet to hear about any for this one.

Harsin may not be a good coach here, but he has conducted himself in a first class way. That is what has bothered me. We have had a lot of folks who have tried to make him out as this d-bag, a-hole that is a total maniac to everyone.

Have any of y'all ever watched this guy during game days? Maniac? If anything he needs to show some more emotion out there, lol. He is about as calm of a coach as I've seen, only behind maybe Butch Thompson. Just shows how out of hand all those rumors got, and it's sad. He and his family didn't deserve that. No family does. It goes beyond Auburn football and Auburn university imo

What worries me the most is not the booster or the disgruntled employee but supposedly level headed administrators that would start an investigation on a rumor.  That is the reason to release the report is to disclose the evidence or lack thereof the would justify the investigation.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I 100% agree with you.  This should have never been public at all, and who knows where we would be if it was not made public.  My understanding from WDE was it was originally not public and the investigation was going on for some time before it did in fact become public.  Someone in the department leaks the information of the investigation and the theories ran wild.  Some of them stuck.

I do think this is something that can easily blow over, and will.  It stings now, but I think that is in part only because it happened in the off season so there is literally nothing else to talk about.  If we start winning, no one will ever think about this again, or if we lose and cut Harsin, the new coach isn't going to care about what the previous staff did.

Look at it this way, when was the last time you thought about how Miami handled their open courting of hiring Cristobal, while Manny Diaz was still head coach?  I think that was worse than Auburn situation so if Miami can stomach that, then this too shall pass, one way or another.

You need to seek help, this is not going away jet gate is still alive and well and everything else in between that has happen at Auburn pertaining to football. Auburn looks really really bad in how it looks and handle situations that are placed in their lap for no reason other than a cry baby is not getting his way. To compare what took place at Miami to this chit show at Auburn is plain ignorance. If Auburn recruiting doesn't improve you can thank the ghost in the closet that some people think is fake news, or the parents are not willing to sign off on the lack of integrity and instability that Auburn so unfortunately find itself in constantly!! I don't think Harsin will be fired at year end, that to will make Auburn look like fools as well, and would you be willing to pay some of Harsin by out? and get ready for a Pat Nix type hire!?!?

• Dislike 3

31 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

You need to seek help, this is not going away jet gate is still alive and well and everything else in between that has happen at Auburn pertaining to football. Auburn looks really really bad in how it looks and handle situations that are placed in their lap for no reason other than a cry baby is not getting his way. To compare what took place at Miami to this chit show at Auburn is plain ignorance. If Auburn recruiting doesn't improve you can thank the ghost in the closet that some people think is fake news, or the parents are not willing to sign off on the lack of integrity and instability that Auburn so unfortunately find itself in constantly!! I don't think Harsin will be fired at year end, that to will make Auburn look like fools as well, and would you be willing to pay some of Harsin by out? and get ready for a Pat Nix type hire!?!?

Relax.  No need to take shots.

Let me ask you this if I may, why are you so determined to blame everyone else, except for Harsin?  Why do you believe he is perfect and should be absolved from any blame on anything?  Help me understand your loyalty to him and your desire to instead attack fellow Auburn fans/alumni, boosters or not.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I don't know one way or the other, but do you think Saban has to kiss any booster a$$ at bama? What about Urban Myer? Ryan Day? (Don't come back with the "Harsin hasn't done what Saban has" cause Saban hadn't done it before LSU and definitely hadn't done it a Bama). 

And yeah, NIL has changed the entire landscape. We need to get back to "keeping it down home" to succeed in this miasma that is now "amateur college football"...lol.

I never said Harsin has to kiss ass.  I said he should know the boosters and he should've already laid out his plan for Auburn football.  Tell them what you need as the HC in terms of manpower, facilities, shadow staff, technological upgrades, etc.  Maybe take a minute to show a little gratitude for what those $$ people have already done for Auburn Athletics?

Having the initiative to get to know the people behind the scenes that can financially make or break your sports program is a wise plan of action.  

Example:  You have to make a last minute recruiting visit to close on a top 5* prospect.  You need be able to make a phone call and a booster's private jet is at your disposal with no questions asked no issues whatsoever. 

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I never said Harsin has to kiss ass.  I said he should know the boosters and he should've already laid out his plan for Auburn football.  Tell them what you as the HC in terms of manpower, facilities, shadow staff, technological upgrades, etc.  Maybe take a minute to show a little gratitude for what those $$ people have already done for Auburn Athletics?

Having the initiative to get to know the people behind the scenes that can financially make or break your sports program is a wise plan of action.  

Example:  You have to make a last minute recruiting visit to close on a top 5* prospect.  You need be able to make a phone call and a booster's private jet is at your disposal with no questions asked no issues whatsoever. 

You are 100% correct , but for this. I heard a guy on jox talking about the difference in uat and uga. He said that even now uga did not have total buy in for Kirby and the football program. And only one school in the SEC actually does have that.  It hurt the bammer money men so bad to lose, they gave up their special rank and privilege and took orders. They are ALL on the same page. The dog backers don't have that unity, and that's a fact, to paraphrase his remarks.

If it's true at uga, compare that program to AU, where we are doing what we always do. 

Total buy in won't happen at AU unless a miracle happens and we get a young Dye or Saban clone in the next couple of decades. No high profile coach is gonna come here while everyone from the administration to the boosters to the athletic department to the fans are continuing to try and row the boat in different directions. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not.

WDE

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

You are 100% correct , but for this. I heard a guy on jox talking about the difference in uat and uga. He said that even now uga did not have total buy in for Kirby and the football program. And only one school in the SEC actually does have that.  It hurt the bammer money men so bad to lose, they gave up their special rank and privilege and took orders. They are ALL on the same page. The dog backers don't have that unity, and that's a fact, to paraphrase his remarks.

If it's true at uga, compare that program to AU, where we are doing what we always do. 

Total buy in won't happen at AU unless a miracle happens and we get a young Dye or Saban clone in the next couple of decades. No high profile coach is gonna come here while everyone from the administration to the boosters to the athletic department to the fans are continuing to try and row the boat in different directions. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not.

WDE

Total buy in may never happen even at a place where the HC just won the program's first NC in over 40 yrs (UGA).  If UGA people can't get behind Smart (a former player) after what he's built, then they are flipping idiots.

It may be impossible to get 100% buy in at Auburn.  But damn, the HC of Auburn Football has to work at building relationships with people that finance his sport.  Does he know these people, does he have open communication lines with them, do they know his operating plan or his vision for the success of his program? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomcat said:

This is exactly how the situation read to everyone looking at it from the outside in. Whether the investigation was legitimate was beside the point. It was allowed to be played out in the public, with salacious rumors left unattended, and in my opinion it was designed that way to leverage Harsin into accepting a reduced buy-out. Of course people at Auburn with influence care about the University and the football program. Of course they do. But they are still people, and it's well established that Harsin thumbed his nose at many of those same people in and around the program when he arrived. Whether you accept that Auburn allowed power-brokers to co-opt the investigation to force Harsin out is also beside the point. The stigma that Auburn suffers from intermeddling boosters has long existed, and what occurred in February only served to further perpetuate that stigma. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DAG said:

Right, it's revisionist.  UGA fired CMR in a blink of an eye when they heard USCe was targeting Smart.  UGA went 9-3 the year they fired CMR.  It's not like his firing was due to terrible performance.  They got stale and had a chance to hire an elite coach.  If we had hired KS before that, not sure that opportunity is the same for UGA

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 9:52 AM, eaglenest said:

Between Rane and itself, if they don't tell this guy thanks but no thanks it will never be a consistently S E C football program it is already showing up in recruiting by the damage he has caused, we are viewed as the keystone cops and it has nothing to do with coach Harsin, last year was no different than Saban first year at LSU/Bama or Dabo, Fisher, Smart, Tommy's Brian Kelly at ND. If Auburn cut ties with Greene and Harsin after this year I'm out and it has nothing to do about win lost record, it is simply about integrity, something that is seriously lacking at Auburn. When you are constantly being looked at from a standpoint of being dysfunctional you have a cancer somewhere that needs to be cut out, for once in my lifetime I would like to see Auburn and its fans ALL PULLING IN THE SAME DIRECTIONS when it comes to football.  

You are probably the same type of person that complains we don’t have enough NIL money.

4 hours ago, Carnell said:

What worries me the most is not the booster or the disgruntled employee but supposedly level headed administrators that would start an investigation on a rumor.  That is the reason to release the report is to disclose the evidence or lack thereof the would justify the investigation.

The rumor did not start the investigation. The mass exodus of players, coaches, and then going 0-fer on NSD started the investigation.

I’m not even sure the affair stuff was ever seriously looked into.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DAG said:

To this day I don’t want Smart. Call me crazy. He JUST beat Saban for the first time and has only won the SEC once in an absolutely dreadful East.

His results here would not be much better than Gus’ were. Maybe a little bit better W-L wise but not title-wise. 

16 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I don't know one way or the other, but do you think Saban has to kiss any booster a$$ at bama? What about Urban Myer? Ryan Day? (Don't come back with the "Harsin hasn't done what Saban has" cause Saban hadn't done it before LSU and definitely hadn't done it a Bama). 

And yeah, NIL has changed the entire landscape. We need to get back to "keeping it down home" to succeed in this miasma that is now "amateur college football"...lol.

Yes. He did have to. Certainly still does to a degree. Just like he kisses the a$$ of recruits and their families. That’s the modern game. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

But they are still people, and it's well established that Harsin thumbed his nose at many of those same people in and around the program when he arrived

This is the problem I have though. There needs to be an understanding here in professionalism.  A personal relationship and professional one. The boosters need to understand they have their doing and the coach does too. There shouldn’t need to be a situation where they need to be friends, play golf , etc. If CBH does get fired , and they hire a dude, I am pretty sure those guys who I consider dudes are going to be of that mindset. Additionally, if you you are doing grey area stuff, the less friends you have the better.  I will do what I have to do, you will do what you have to do (wink, wink) and we move on. That is another problem with Auburn. That’s how Miami got busted back in the day too. Doing that friendship stuff and letting a particular booster on the sideline. He then had legal problems and photo evidence tied him into the Miami program because he was on the sideline and running out with the team.

With that being said, he absolutely should have a personal level with his team and players. That was his major downfall. 

• Like 1