Development

The big question for this season is can coach Harsin develop the talent on this team and win games? He was known for developing less talented players at Boise and winning. Au has talent left on this team and if Coach Harsin can develop Calzada or TJ the sky is the limit. IMO if that happens Au can beat anyone on the schedule including UGA and Bama. We was one play away from beating Bama last season. 

“I’ve always wanted to share my passion for the game and you can do that as a coach,” Harsin said. “If you’re a good coach, you can teach because the players want to excel.

“That’s the sign of a good coach, if you actually help your players improve. They want to know that you give them an advantage.

“If a player knows you’re going to help him be better, and he trusts you and the information you’re giving him, you’re making a huge impact on his love and development of the game.

“It’s always been about football, but as you get older and do this more, you build relationships and see how powerful those really are, it becomes about the whole idea of development.”

As Boise’s QB coach and offensive coordinator, Harsin developed Kellen Moore, whose 50 victories from 2008-11 are the most by an FBS quarterback. 

“Kellen was already driven to be the best,” Harsin said. “We identified things he could do that would improve his game. He was able to take that blueprint and execute it. With a guy like that, you don’t want to spoil the talent, you want to give him a good plan and let him go out there and work hard at it.” 

In Moore’s fourth season working with Harsin, 2010, he was a Heisman finalist the year Cam Newton won. The 32-year-old Moore is in his third season as the Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator. 

“He was a great challenge for me because I tried to provide value to his development every single day to stay ahead of him. His work ethic, his grind,” Harsin said. “There’s a reason why he was successful and the winningest quarterback in college football.”

Edited by auburnfaithful72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Okay, that was Boise. Let's see what you can do at Auburn.

........ waiting ........

• Facepalm 1

A well developed team of former 3* prospects won't beat a well developed team of former 4 and 5* prospects. To be competitive in the SEC, if a coach can't start with top talent he won't compete for championships. The other schools are developing their players too and if they are starting ahead.....

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A well developed team of former 3* prospects won't beat a well developed team of former 4 and 5* prospects. To be competitive in the SEC, if a coach can't start with top talent he won't compete for championships. The other schools are developing their players too and if they are starting ahead.....

Who says we are only gonna get a bunch of 3*?  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Individual player development was one of the bright spots from last year. Nix, Shedrick, Hall, Moultry, Shenker, Javarius Johnson come to mind off the top of my head. I'm sure there were others I'm not thinking of. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fielded a very competitive team in all games last season (less UGA) he is hanging his hat on his coaching and development acumen being the difference maker this season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

Fielded a very competitive team in all games last season (less UGA) he is hanging his hat on his coaching and development acumen being the difference maker this season. 

I think you are correct on this.

5 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who says we are only gonna get a bunch of 3*?  

Well, we are currently 14th out of 14 SEC teams in the recruiting rankings. Are you expecting AU to suddenly load up on a bunch of 4 and 5* prospects?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Well, we are currently 14th out of 14 SEC teams in the recruiting rankings. Are you expecting AU to suddenly load up on a bunch of 4 and 5* prospects?

Don't know.. Maybe.  Got all 4 stars right now. I agree we currently lack quantity but not quality. I guess they could load up on all 3 stars and hope for the best. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Don't know.. Maybe.  Got all 4 stars right now. I agree we currently lack quantity but not quality. I guess they could load up on all 3 stars and hope for the best. 

Harsin handpicks guys versus taking whoever he can get. It's a frustrating approach, and one that I don't always agree with, but interested to see if it pans out. We won't really know until we see some of his HS recruits play

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That’s what I’ve been hoping for quite honestly. Just solidify this class until you can prove your culture. This will be the time to do it? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

That’s what I’ve been hoping for quite honestly. Just solidify this class until you can prove your culture. This will be the time to do it? 

Well. They passed on a guy from my area. That I know for a fact would have crawled to Auburn on broken glass. But no offer came. He committed to Kentucky over FL St, Penn State, Ole Miss and others.  Good offensive line prospect. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Well. They passed on a guy from my area. That I know for a fact would have crawled to Auburn on broken glass. But no offer came. He committed to Kentucky over FL St, Penn State, Ole Miss and others.  Good offensive line prospect. 

I just don’t get it…

27 minutes ago, provibe said:

He must have been a 4 or 5 star! We only offer 3 star recruits.

I feel like we have been doing the opposite . 

I’m unsure if it’ll translate to game development but this is development…

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, DAG said:

I feel like we have been doing the opposite . 

We have. We’ve been star chasing and missing and the lower rated guys not waiting around forever so now we’re trying to circle back around to the lower rated guys and see if they’re still interested 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

We have. We’ve been star chasing and missing and the lower rated guys not waiting around forever so now we’re trying to circle back around to the lower rated guys and see if they’re still interested 

Sounds familiar 

11 hours ago, provibe said:

He must have been a 4 or 5 star! We only offer 3 star recruits.

For those that didn’t get it, I was being sarcastic! Not very good at it, I guess 

13 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Guessing your talking about Keenum? I have no clue where you live, but know he just committed to Kentucky recently and was a guy who loves Auburn. My only reasoning for that is that he projects as a center I believe, and we have a real shot with Lew, and have Joiner committed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, au302 said:

Harsin handpicks guys versus taking whoever he can get. It's a frustrating approach, and one that I don't always agree with, but interested to see if it pans out. We won't really know until we see some of his HS recruits play

That sounds good, but it is also what is said when a coach isn't getting his first choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Guessing your talking about Keenum? I have no clue where you live, but know he just committed to Kentucky recently and was a guy who loves Auburn. My only reasoning for that is that he projects as a center I believe, and we have a real shot with Lew, and have Joiner committed 

Yep. Center or guard. Heard Lew was going to GA

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

Are you expecting AU to suddenly load up on a bunch of 4 and 5* prospects?

In the next two weeks, yes.  We're most likely going to land numbers 4* players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yep. Center or guard. Heard Lew was going to GA

JLee has him back to Auburn at the moment

• Like 2