Development

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

Are you joking? Here's a link to the top teams for 2022. You can choose other years and go back about as many as you choose. You'll see the same few teams over and over, with the occasional outsider making the top five in the odd year. This is a no-brainer.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2022/all-teams/football

I know who those teams are, all of those teams are on solid footing, on the same page administration wise, in alignment, forward thinking, ahead of the curve. Auburn? to busy airing out it's dirty laundry in the front yard, can't get out of it's own way, now you want some coach to come in here and overcome those odds especially after tolerating a clown as head coach for 8 years?!?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 7/28/2022 at 6:08 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

Coaches focus on recruiting year round. If they don't, they won't be employed long

Coaches do a lot less of the recruiting than you think. They may be the home visit guys and who the recruit talks to on campus, but a lot of communications between coaches and recruits are actually recruiting staff/ student assistants on coaches social media. 

Exceptions for your prized jewel recruits. 

On 7/28/2022 at 1:42 PM, DAG said:

This is another reason why I see a 16-team playoff happening with the merger of mega conferences. If it were up to me, I would get rid of all these ridiculous bowl games and just have a 16-team playoffs.

That's fine for the big programs, but is an ass idea for half the schools. Some conferences even with undefeated records wouldn't make it into a playoff. Much less a 1 loss team. Most schools look forward to and set their goal as a bowl game. 

The mega conference stuff is just going to lead to the creation of a new league outside the NCAA. The mega conferences will break away and form a semi pro league on their own. The smaller schools can stay and get bowls. The bigger schools get to pay players and compete for a Natty. 

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

So let me give you a little secret. In real the big conferences do not give a damn about the small conferences

There is nothing in the post you quoted that implies that the bigger conferences care about the smaller ones, or that they don't care about money. He says the bigger conferences will break away from the NCAA and form their own league.

That doesn't in any way imply that they care about smaller schools or don't care about money. What he has outlined is a probable scenario of what college football will become.

I hope the smaller schools that choose to avoid the bidding wars and stay with the NCAA do continue with the bowl games. I enjoy watching them and I also enjoy attending the occasional bowl.

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

The mega conference stuff is just going to lead to the creation of a new league outside the NCAA

That should've happened as soon as the NIL stuff got legalized. This will eventually happen IMO.

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

The smaller schools can stay and get bowls.

Once again, I believe the smart thing for the small schools would also be to separate and create their own playoffs. This is not something new under the sun type of ideas or thinking. The seed has been planted for a time now.

And no I don't think the popularity of college football will go down if this happens. 

That's fine for the big programs, but is an ass idea for half the schools.

In reality the big conferences do not give a damn about the small conferences. This idea won't be ass, as majority of the schools will probably be a part of the mega conferences. I do believe over half of the FBS schools are in power 5 conferences, if my math serves me correct. Additionally, if the small schools want to line their pockets, they also will follow suit. 

Some conferences even with undefeated records wouldn't make it into a playoff.

Name me one power 5 conference who had a team go undefeated and not make the playoffs in its original format? I would think a 16 team playoffs gives a little bit more margin of error. It also would allow more speaking room for the little guy to get in. We finally saw a non-power 5 school get in (with help) in the current format, which is completely skewed for the prominent programs.

Most schools look forward to and set their goal as a bowl game. 

Maybe the non-power 5 schools, but not the power 5 schools. They care more about a check. Otherwise, the Vanderbilt's of the world would just leave the power conferences and go to a conference where they are a lot more competitive. Ask Syracuse would they be willing to trade their spot with Temple. There is a reason why Kansas, who sucks at football at the big 12 level, is trying to get into the Big Ten now ( A much more competitive conference). Wouldn't the newly futuristic BIG 12 give them a much better chance at the goal of consistently getting into a bowl game?

Edited by DAG
I don't know what the heck happened to my original post.

23 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Is Mikey and GunSmithAU the same person?

That Mikey guy is still posting ?! I thought he was done with college football because the NIL would ruin it. 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

I am wondering with the transfer portal, NIL, etc. if players are willing to stay around long enough to be developed...even the lower stars. Of course, the advantage would be getting those 4 to 5 star players who are willing to give you an amazing season before moving on. "1 and done".

Maybe coaches can warp-speed-develop less talented players to perform during the season but expecting to have 3 to 4 seasons to develop most players is unrealistic. My guess is a less talented but developed team can pull the occasional miracle win but expecting to win against professional grade teams, each week, is daunting and questionable. Especially, with the notion of moving towards more conference games and higher quality opponents to entice viewership.

On the surface, there appears to be less tincture of time with players vs. past. Plus, having the pressure to win and win now, in a mega talented conference, makes it challenging to support a roster full of players that need to be developed. Time is not a friend in college sports. 

Edited by AU_Canoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

That should've happened as soon as the NIL stuff got legalized. This will eventually happen IMO.

Once again, I believe the smart thing for the small schools would also be to separate and create their own playoffs. This is not something new under the sun type of ideas or thinking. The seed has been planted for a time now.

And no I don't think the popularity of college football will go down if this happens. 

Question is, which of the two would we benefit more in? Not rhetorical, legit curious.

Edited by AUwent

33 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Question is, which of the two would we benefit more in? Not rhetorical, legit curious.

16 team playoffs for sure, especially being in the SEC. Imagine if we had a 16 team playoffs in 2017?  I imagine UCF also has a legit case to make the playoffs in this landscape as well. I highly doubt the average fan would be harping that they can’t watch UTSA and Troy state in Montgomery.

Edited by DAG

6 hours ago, DAG said:

That Mikey guy is still posting ?! I thought he was done with college football because the NIL would ruin it. 

No you didn't think anything of the sort. I said I'd give it a few years, maybe four or five and you know that very well. Why can't you tell the truth for a change?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Dang that's a receiver??

Looks like a linebacker.

• Like 1

Time to develop quickly!

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Returning-football-starter-Keiondre-Jones-predicts-Auburn-offensive-line-going-to-be-pretty-damn-good--190911740/

Great article on Keiondre Jones. Tied to development so I thought I’d share here. 
This quote stood out to me:
“There is competition everywhere,” Jones said. That is what Coach Harsin brings ,so you never feel safe. I don’t feel safe at my position. I have to work my butt off in the next couple of weeks to feel secure and even if I am named the starting guy I am still not safe for the rest of the season.”

For those who question the role of culture change and its importance in changing a program’s trajectory, this is a good example of it. Establish that attitude for the whole team and great things can happen. WDE!

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 4