5* CG Aden Holloway signs with AU

toddc

Auburn picks up 4* PG Aden Holloway

Inside the commitment: Aden Holloway's outlook

4-star Aden Holloway / Photo credit: Dan Fritz

Four-star combo guard Aden Hollowaycommitted to Auburn on … , becoming the first member of Auburn’s 2023 class.

Holloway is ranked as the No. 39 player on the On3 consensus and as the No. 8 combo guard and the No. 10 player in California.

Holloway—originally from North Carolina—is slated to play for Prolific Prep for his senior year of high school. He spent last season at La Lumiere High School. He also played for Team CP3 in the Nike EYBL circuits, including the Peach Jam.

Auburn’s newest commitment follows the trend of Auburn’s recent point guard recruiting: Undersized and highly skilled. Holloway is a little bigger than other recent point guards, but his handle, speed, and control of the game make him a perfect fit. He’s also one of the best shooters in high school basketball, which never hurts. 

The 411

Holloway, a 6’0″ 155-pound combo guard, was recruited to play point guard at Auburn. He also has the potential to exceed at an off-ball roll.

Holloway averaged 16.0 points, 5.2 assists, and 4.2 rebounds per game for CP3. He also shot 41 percent from the field and 35 percent from three this season. He was named First Team All EYBL at the Louisville regional circuit and Second Team All EYBL at the Peach Jam. 

Holloway rebounded from a slow first game at the EYBL Peach Jam by shooting 6 of 9 from three, 3 of 8 from three, 2 of 5 from three, and 4 of 6 from three in his last four summer league games. He finished 16 of 35 (45.7 percent) from three in the summer’s most prestigious tournament.

During his junior season, Holloway played in 10 NIBC (conference) games for La Lumiere. In those games, he averaged 15.6 points per game on 59.1 percent shooting from the field, 68.2 percent from three (15 of 22) and 87.9 percent free throw shooting.

Recruitment recap

Auburn has long been one of Aden Holloway’s top two schools. He took an official visit in February when Auburn seemed to leave its mark.

Holloway followed up his official visit to Auburn with official visits to Wake Forest and Tennessee. 

Auburn and Tennessee beat out home state school Wake Forest and other suitors, and Auburn eventually sealed the deal.

Remaining Auburn targets such as Wesley Yates have mentioned that Holloway was recruiting him before Holloway made his commitment. Holloway has almost twice as many Instagram followers as any current Auburn player. An early commitment from Holloway could be a hot start for Auburn’s 2023 class.

Baye Fall, Jordan Butler, DJ Wagner, Kwame Evans Jr., and other top players have listed Auburn as a school they are interested in.

Program Fit

Holloway’s size, handle, and speed make him an exceptionally good fit at a program that uses smaller guards as well as any school in college basketball. He should easily exceed his current recruiting rankings during his Auburn career.

Auburn’s newest commitment can be effective at Auburn even if he doesn’t take over as point guard immediately. With Holloway’s shooting, he’ll be a plug and play guy off the ball and will also be a backup point guard option capable of taking over after Wendell Green Jr. Bruce Pearl has played point guards, such as Harper and Zep Jasper, off-ball to better utilize their scoring ability.

Auburn adding a potentially multi-year point guard this season could be a crucial move in the long run. If Holloway is a multi-year guy, he could help bridge the gap between Auburn’s current crop of guards and leading into the next “generation” of backcourt players.

Holloway’s next level shooting

Holloway’s playmaking—and the skills that contribute to it—are the most important part of his game but shooting is the most elite part right now. Holloway doesn’t always post extremely high shooting percentages, but he can catch fire. He can shoot off the dribble or on spot ups, can shoot deep threes and midrange shots, and is effective around the basket with his touch and body control. His handle and IQ lets him get to his spots and create space easily.

Auburn’s newest commitment is one of the best shooters in his class. Especially when you consider his clutch shot making and his ability to shoot contested shots off the dribble or on spot ups at all three levels.

Holloway has a quick release and gets good elevation when shooting. I expect his shooting will translate to the college level as quickly as anything else. He also finishes in traffic and through contact around the rim. Great body control lets Holloway play a lot bigger than he looks, and he’ll remain effective against bigger opponents.

Against top ranked IMG Academy, Holloway sunk a game-winning three in double overtime to take down a loaded prep school team featuring five stars at almost every position.

More recently, Holloway has drawn rave reviews as the best player on a team featuring five-stars Gregory “GG” Jackson and Rob Dillingham. 

He also hit a game winner against Team Why Not in April and a game tying shot against the Oakland Soldiers. 

Aden Holloway’s playmaking is also top tier

Auburn’s newest point guard already has the combination of ball handling, speed, and decision making desired by Bruce Pearl. Aden Holloway gets a lot of comparisons to Sharife Cooper because of his ball handling and passing, but I think Auburn fans will find that comparisons to a bigger version of Jared Harper or Wendell Green Jr. fit the commit better.

Like Green and Harper, Holloway is a great shooter with good range. Holloway does have a tight handle and low center of gravity like Cooper, but he controls games in more of a floor general fashion, compared to Cooper’s ball-dominant creativity. 

Cooper would constantly push with the ball in his hands, probe defenses, and rack up assists and buckets with his insane touch and vision. Holloway can do some of those same things. Still, he’s better an executing half court sets and pushing the ball up court in transition. 

Holloway has great vision and is very efficient in ball screen offense and other forms of set halfcourt offense. He’s patient and posts low turnover numbers everywhere he goes.

With Team CP3, Holloway posted 5.2 assists per game to 1.8 turnovers per game throughout EYBL play. For reference, Cooper averaged 6.4 assists to 3.5 turnovers per game during his final season of EYBL play. That said, Cooper and Holloway posted very 

• Like 2

From what I gathered yesterday, Aden posted about a - teammate - committing on his Instagram, and Clemente misinterpreted it. He deleted the tweet. In his defense, the Instagram post was ambiguous.

• Thanks 1

Damn.... university of Auburn got another good one

Screenshot_20220801-190418_Instagram.jpg

• Like 2

• Zeek changed the title to 4* PG Aden Holloway COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!

Talented class of 2023 point guard chooses Auburn

10 minutes ago

Bruce Pearl Auburn's Basketball Tour In Israel

Aden Holloway, a four-star basketball point guard from Matthews, N.C., has chosen the Auburn Tigers. Holloway, who on Monday night announced he plans to play for the Tigers, is the first verbal commitment for Coach Bruce Pearl’s 2023 signing class.

Last season Holloway, who is 6-0, 155 pounds, played for La Lumiere, a prep school in Indiana known for its strong basketball program. For his senior season he will play at Prolific Prep in Napa, Calif., another high school that has been turning out highly-regarded prospects.

Holloway is rated as the No 6 point guard prospect in the 2023 class by 247Sports and the No. 38 overall prospect. He chose the Tigers over Miami, Tennessee, Arizona State, Wake Forest and numerous others. In the 247Sports composite ranking he is rated four stars as the No. 5 point guard in the class.

Commenting on the Tigers, Holloway said, “It’s amazing watching their games I love their style of play and I’m a big fan of Bruce Pearl and everything that they are doing down there.”

After taking an official visit to Auburn in January, Holloway said there are multiple reasons why he likes the program, "First, it is the connection that me and Bruce Pearl have. I just clicked right from the first visit, I felt that connection between us. The place Auburn is an amazing place with amazing people.

"(Pearl) said to me, he told me what my role is going to be is that he is going to put the ball in my hands and let me be me and just play," the prospect added. "He said his plan is that, however it goes is up to me. He’s putting the ball in my hands and giving me an opportunity to succeed.”

Pearl's Auburn teams have been known for their strong point guard, something that helped his most recent squad win the SEC regular season championship. Holloway looks to have the talent to be an excellent fit and an immediate contributor with his combination of quickness, shooting ability and creative passing.

Holloway, who plays for TeamCP3 on the AAU circuit, was impressive at the recently-played Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C. Earlier this year he averaged 20 points, seven assists and five rebounds per contest at the Nike EYBL Louisville event.

Tracy Pierson, an analyst for 247Sports, compares Holloway to a two-time All-Pac 12 point guard who also played at La Lumiere. "Holloway is a Tyger Campbell clone," Pierson noted. "Not only does he look like him physically, with a very similar body and Tyger-like hair, but he’s a play-a-like.

"Holloway might be a little quicker than Campbell, and a much better shooter at the same stage, but so much of his game is eerily similar. Holloway can break down just about anyone and then has a penchant for dishing to an open teammate, but he also finishes with a series of mid-range shots and floaters," Pierson wrote.

"He’ll use his body like Campbell does to draw contact or get separation. Defensively, he's similar to Campbell, too, but with slightly better quickness is probably a better defender. Holloway definitely hasn’t fashioned this game in a vacuum – he absolutely has watched hours of Tyger Campbell tape."

Brandon Jenkins, a recruiting analyst for 247Sports, had this assessment of the point guard's performance while playing for TeamCP3. “Aden Holloway continues to capitalize off of what was a great high school season at La Lumiere. Matching up against highly-rated guard prospects throughout the day, Holloway out-dueled opponents on the floor by weaving through the defense to score inside, connecting on good looks from deep and finding his teammates.

2COMMENTS

“His entire game is composed as he scored off his own offense with floaters, pull-ups, and spot up jumper opportunities," the analyst pointed out. "There were also great leadership qualities shown in him being vocal and never pressing when things got tight.”

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• toddc changed the title to 4* PG Aden Holloway Has Committed to Auburn Tonight !!!

Huge pickup and an extremely talented PG prospect right here. Look forward to comparing him to some of the recent great PG we have had the pleasure to watch at AU these last few years. A PG death chart of Wendell, Tre, and Holloway is purty good! Love having quality depth at this position!

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Love 2

PGU

I'll take a Tyger Campbell clone with a better jumpshot. I am a fan of Campbell's floor game

Edited by Tiger

PGU

I'll take a Tyger Campbell clone with a better jumpshot. I am a fan of Campbell's floor game

That prospect you just described would be a top 10 PG in the nation any season honestly. I dunno if this guy will ever be as good defensively as Tyger was, but he should probably be a better scorer, which would be a fine trade off 

• RunInRed changed the title to 4* PG Aden Holloway has Committed to Auburn

Great pickup! He's very highly rated but with Bruce I always figure the recruits are even better than their ranking. 

• Like 1

That prospect you just described would be a top 10 PG in the nation any season honestly. I dunno if this guy will ever be as good defensively as Tyger was, but he should probably be a better scorer, which would be a fine trade off 

THIS guy!? Excuse you!?! Don’t treat him like he is some rando off the street now!!! 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

2ADFAFEB-78A0-4085-9936-61D4F8B6229C.jpeg

• Love 1

Kid is fantastic at dribbling to create space for a jumpshot. The day of commitment I was trying to think of a good comparison without saying Trae. It’s such a trite comparison it feels lazy sometimes yknow. But I just have a feeling no one can really stop Trae from getting space for a J, and I think Aden will be like that one day