That 10 year old girl and abortion

AURex

I have worked in the field of child abuse for 19 years, so I know the facts.

The 10 year old girl who was raped multiple times, impregnated -- this is not a rarity. There are tens of thousands of cases like this every single year. Young girls sexually raped.  The only reason this particular case made the news is because it came right after the SCOTUS overturned Roe and this child was forced to travel out of state to abort the pregnancy.

I want to make sure I understand the reasoning why this was necessary. Why was she denied abortion in-state?

Here is the way I understand it. I may be wrong. Help me.

1. Child, you were put on this earth by God to be raped. This is God's plan. Accept it as the will of God.
2. A fetus is a human being with the same rights as every born, living, walking, talking person. In fact fetus rights supersede the rights of autonomous, living people.
3. A child of 10 should accept rape and impregnation as a gift from God.
4. A child born from rape, incest, or other forced, abuseful insemination, is a gift from God.
5. You are yourself a child, not wanting a child, and incapable to properly caring for a baby. Too bad. FY. You be squirting out a baby.
6. No, we will never support legislation to help mothers of children impregnated by incest or rape.
7. No, we will never support psychological and social support networks to aid you, counseling, psychiatric care for mothers.
8. No we will oppose all legislation to provide food stamps, school lunches, medical assistance, or other government programs to help you raise that child.
9. Your entire life was pre-determined by this one issue, impregnation due to rape/incest. Well, FY and don't complain about your entire life being destroyed.
10. The Disney unicorn you love. It doesn't love you. You are not a child. You are a 10 year old mother.

Did I get that right? If someone disagrees with any of these items, please help me understand. Because I really, really do not understand the reasoning behind this kind of law/policy.

• Like 1

Yep, you got it right.

And many of the points you listed apply to older women who are in no better circumstances to support a child.

The statistics for states like Mississippi and Texas are going to be interesting - if tragic - to watch over the next few years.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AURex said:

I have worked in the field of child abuse for 19 years, so I know the facts.

The 10 year old girl who was raped multiple times, impregnated -- this is not a rarity. There are tens of thousands of cases like this every single year. Young girls sexually raped.  The only reason this particular case made the news is because it came right after the SCOTUS overturned Roe and this child was forced to travel out of state to abort the pregnancy.

I want to make sure I understand the reasoning why this was necessary. Why was she denied abortion in-state?

1. Child, you were put on this earth by God to be raped. This is God's plan. Accept it as the will of God.
2. A fetus is a human being with the same rights as every born, living, walking, talking person. In fact fetus rights supersede the rights of autonomous, living people.
4. A child born from rape, incest, or other forced, abuseful insemination, is a gift from God.
5. You are yourself a child, not wanting a child, and incapable to properly caring for a baby. Too bad. FY. You be squirting out a baby.
6. No, we will never support legislation to help mothers of children impregnated by incest or rape.
7. No, we will never support psychological and social support networks to aid you, counseling, psychiatric care for mothers.
8. No we will oppose all legislation to provide food stamps, school lunches, medical assistance, or other government programs to help you raise that child.
9. Your entire life was pre-determined by this one issue, impregnation due to rape/incest. Well, FY and don't complain about your entire life being destroyed.
10. The Disney unicorn you love. It doesn't love you. You are not a child. You are a 10 year old mother.

Did I get that right? If someone disagrees with any of these items, please help me understand. Because I really, really do not understand the reasoning behind this kind of law/policy.

No. The policy/law you describe does not exist. Thanks for the recital of democrat talking points. Kind of scary you working in this field so long and the go to answer is apparently killing the baby.

• Facepalm 1

There are a lot of pro lifers out there who could absolutely agree with your points and many pro life groups are pushing for national abortion bans with no exceptions at all. 

the Indians DA got so pissed that this girl got an abortion in his state that he’s trying to launch a retaliatory investigation of the doctor who performed it. 

sad time to be a women living in a Republican controlled part of the US. 

No. The policy/law you describe does not exist. Thanks for the recital of democrat talking points. Kind of scary you working in this field so long and the go to answer is apparently killing the baby.

Apparently, you are the one who is oblivious to the changes in laws now supported by the SCOTUS decision. No exception laws, life begins at fertilization, etc. Not "democratic talking points." Reality.

• Like 2

Deep Red Kansas just voted to keep Abortion rights guaranteed in their state constitution. 

Good to see some common sense prevail even in a deeply Republican State. 

The anti-abortion movement will have a harder time when they have to put the abortion issue alone up for vote and can't just unilaterally ban all abortion via state laws without a popular vote. 

• Like 1

This is not anything like the reasoning 99% of pro-life people would offer.  Only the most hardcore Calvinists would even consider it.

The part in bold would be representative of the vast majority of pro-life people.  The latter would be a view a distinct minority would hold - so-called "abortion abolitionists."  It's not the prevailing view of the pro-life camp by a long shot.

It would be helpful in discussions like this if you could at least attempt an honest rendering of the opposing viewpoint.  

No one would say that rape is a gift from God.  One may say that any new human being, regardless of the circumstances of them coming into being, is worthy of basic dignity and has intrinsic worth - worth that is inherent to them being human, not contingent on the desires of others.  So in that sense, I suppose you could say that all human beings have, by the very nature of their existence, intrinsic worth and value and in some sense could be considered a gift.  But this purposeful mangling of how someone would see this from a pro-life perspective is beneath you.

I would contend that there's a pro-life rational for an exception to a early termination/delivery of the unborn baby here, as would most other pro-lifers.  The overwhelming majority of pro-life people, regardless of what some politicians may advocate for, believe in exceptions for the life and permanent health of the mother.  A child this young is almost certainly not capable of safely carrying a baby to full term and almost certainly incapable of a vaginal delivery.  Her pelvic bones simply aren't large enough and haven't spread as a result of puberty far enough apart for the baby to come out.  Carrying this child and especially attempting to deliver it is life threatening.  An abortion or induced delivery of the unborn child is justified on that basis.  The life of the mother is absolutely over equal value to that of the unborn child and should be treated as such.

Finally, an accurate (albeit snarky) assessment.  This is a black mark on far too many pro-life advocates and organizations - this limiting of "pro-life" to simply opposing abortion.  Now, many pro-lifers do indeed give of their time, resources, skills, and talents to provide some of these things for pregnant women with unplanned pregnancies.  Contrary to the loony rantings of Sen. Warren, crisis pregnancy centers have been doing a lot of this kind of work for decades - providing free diapers, baby clothes, maternity clothes, pre-natal health care, baby furniture and supplies, formula and a host of other needed items and services.  The work they've done is commendable.

But, like most private charitable efforts, it's limited in scope.  They can only do so much and the availability and quality of such places is inconsistent from county to county, state to state, region to region.  They simply don't have the ability to reach everyone who needs help.  And too many have been indoctrinated into this "the government is always bad" mentality that they don't trust government programs to be run effectively and efficiently and that waste, fraud and abuse will run rampant.  They think private, voluntary efforts are always better.  But the truth is, we need both.  There are things in terms of reach, coverage, and resources that can best be handled via government and then there are local applications of help and understanding a community and the niches that need to be filled that only private charities can effectively grasp and address.

It is a valid critique and something that needs to change.

An only slight variation of the ridiculous arguments you made in points 1, 3 and 4 and the same responses apply.

Not even sure what the hell this is.

No, you didn't.  But then, I don't really think you were actually trying to either.  In the future, if you're going to put this much purposeful effort into being Exhibit A for the Strawman Fallacy, put it in the smack talk forum where it belongs.  Engage with some honesty here if you're going to put it in the regular politics forum.

• Facepalm 1