2024 4* Nickel A’mon Lane Commits To AU!

toddc

A'Mon Lane leads off Big Cat, 2024 class with commitment

3 minutes ago

A'Mon Lane has been waiting a couple of weeks now, but Saturday was finally his chance to formally announce his commitment to Auburn. Verbally committing to Auburn earlier in July, the 4-star cornerback in the Class of 2024 waited until Auburn's Big Cat recruiting event to announce his decision. 

"Man, it’s crazy," Lane told Auburn Undercover. "It’s like a dream come true. My grandma, she taught me football, so I grew up an Auburn fan so this is really a dream come true."

One of Lane's first Auburn memories was watching the Kick Six with his grandma.

"When I was little I didn’t get the chance to go to an Auburn game, but I remember when they had the Kick Six on Alabama and that was crazy," Lane said. "Me and my grandma were going crazy and we were the only two Auburn fans in my family at that time, so it was pretty special."

Ranked at No. 221 in the 247Sports Composite, Lane is the No. 26 cornerback and the No. 11 player from the state of Alabama in the 2024 class. Already a three-time state champion from his time at Thompson, Lane is now at Moody high school with his dad, Jake Ganus who moved from Thompson to take the head coach job at Moody. Lane went along with him.

Recruited primarily by Zac Etheridge, the two have built a special bond throughout his recruitment.

"He’s done everything that I want to do, so I just look up to him as not just a coach but as a big brother," Lane said.

Lane has built up a strong relationship with head coach Bryan Harsin, too. Lane believes in what Harsin is trying to create at Auburn.

"Coach Harsin, he’s a very good coach," Lane said. "He knows what he’s talking about. He’s big on family and I think they just need to give him a chance. I believe in him and that’s why I want to play for him."

Committing early was something special for Lane, getting to be the lead guy in a class and focus on his last two seasons of college football/

"It’s way less stressful," Lane said. "I get to contribute to my team now, focus and try to help bring a title to Moody."

Lane might not be the only commitment for long, though. Announcing his decision early on Saturday, there's a possibility that 4-star quarterback Adrian Posse out of Miami who's also at Big Cat will announce his decision on Saturday. And with Big Cat, it's always possible some more names pop up, too. 

4COMMENTS

And Lane will be happy to have them on board.

"We’re going to get this class going for sure," Lane said.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 5

• toddc changed the title to 4* CB 2024 A’mon Lane Commits To Auburn

A56B0ED5-A923-4A59-9571-4C13CA905718.pngThere it is baby.

War Eagle 🦅 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

SATURDAY: 2:47 p.m. — We asked if more commitments are coming today. Source at Auburn “Possible.”

A great 1st Defensive player to build the 2024 defensive class around.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

I guess if I take the day off things go well lol.  Pow!!!

On 7/30/2022 at 2:05 PM, toddc said:

One of Lane's first Auburn memories was watching the Kick Six with his grandma.

Now I really feel old. One of his first memories? Good grief!!!

Then again, I'm sure I make a lot of people feel old when I say one of my earliest memories is from the Interception Game in 94, so. . .

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Then again, I'm sure I make a lot of people feel old when I say one of my earliest memories is from the Interception Game in 94, so. . .

94??? try late 50's

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

94??? try late 50's

Were interceptions even a thing in the 50's?   I don't remember my great granddad talking much about them😀.

Lane ‘only knows one speed’

1658399648941-8051.jpg

AUBURN | It’s a mentality that every coach at every level looks for in a player.

brought it to Thompson High School the last few years, is bringing it to Moody High School this year and next, and will be bringing it to Auburn University in a couple of years.

Lane, a 4-star cornerback in the 2024 class, committed to the Tigers Saturday during their Big Cat recruiting event.

p1ebsyvomrudigieji1e

“He’s a guy, he only knows one speed and that’s full speed,” said Moody coach Jake Ganus. “The way he attacks every day in the weight room or if it’s practice or it’s meetings is kinda what sets him apart. It’s a mindset of when I step between the lines, I’m going to give everything I’ve got and it shows.”

Moody football has won just 11 games over the past five years, which is a big reason Ganus, formerly the co-defensive coordinator at Thompson, was hired as the Blue Devils head coach last December.

Lane, who is Ganus’ adopted son, came with him to begin the process of changing the culture at Moody after winning three consecutive Class 7A state championships at Thompson.

“What it’s done for me at Moody personally is it’s brought the level of our team up,” said Ganus. “We’re trying to practice in a different way and trying to do things that have never been done before. A’Mon has been at Thompson the last three years so he’s seen how certain things are done just like I have.

“We have the players and we have the best people at Moody you could ask for. Now, the way we’ve changed practice, the style and the tempo, he’s helped me do that. It’s been huge.”

Ganus, who was a standout defensive back and linebacker at UAB and Georgia from 2012-15, has been a key part of Lane’s development on and off the field.

“A’Mon as a person, he’s been through more probably in his first 14 years of life than any of us combined in our entire lives. He’s got a very, very adverse past,” said Ganus. “When he came to stay with us over three years ago, just to see him change into this young man and turn into where he’s headed.

“His future is so bright and he doesn’t let anything from the past define him. He only lets that circumstance fuel him to be better. It’s just been really fun to be a part of it as a father-figure and as a coach. I’ve got to do both and it’s been really cool.”

aar.png

5'11" | 177 lbs | CB | 2024

Lane is expected to play cornerback or nickel at Auburn. Ganus believes he’ll be ready to contribute early in his college career.

“He went to a meeting at LSU on his visit and he sat there and the corner’s coach asked a question to one of the corners, and A’Mon answered it before the kid did because it’s the same concept we’re playing and it’s a 3-by-1 check,” said Ganus. “So I’m not saying it will be a 100 percent carryover but there will be carryover from what we do. Physically, he’s ready. He’s built like a college football player and is definitely fast and strong enough."

This season, Lane will start at nickel for Moody along with spot duty at receiver and running back on offense.

“We feel like he would be wasted out there at cornerback because teams would go away from him,” said Ganus. “You can put a corner out there and they can put their worse receiver out there and say we’re going to focus on these other 10. So we’ve got him closer to the box where he can affect the game. We’re going to blitz him a lot, let him play man in the slot, zone, all that stuff. He’ll be a lot more versatile for us closer to the ball.

“He’s a 4.4 guy, a 10.6 100 so obviously he can take the top off. He’s built like a truck so he can run over you. When we need him on offense, we’ll use him, but we also have very good players on offense to where we don’t feel like we have to use him on every play.”

Lane, who was Auburn’s first commitment for the 2024 class, was joined shortly thereafter by quarterback from Columbus in Miami, Fla.

23 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Were interceptions even a thing in the 50's?   I don't remember my great granddad talking much about them😀.

Very few 

Todd thanks for posting that story.  This young man will be real easy to pull for.   Kudo's to Mr. Ganus for stepping up and really helping out a young man in need.   I hope this lad crushes it at Auburn, goes first round and rewards himself and Mr. Ganus.    

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

94??? try late 50's

There's a reason I call you old geezer. ;) 

• Thanks 1

Two blocked punts are my earliest memories. 

The interception game was unbelievable. I was on a lunch break and I rode around the entire fourth quarter listening to it in my truck. I was late getting back to work but fortunately I only had myself to answer to. 

• Like 2

The interception game was unbelievable. I was on a lunch break and I rode around the entire fourth quarter listening to it in my truck. I was late getting back to work but fortunately I only had myself to answer to.

I was a squalling 10 year old boy, begging my father to take me home, because we were so utterly atrocious offensively that day that I just couldn't bear to watch. Dad kept telling me to keep the faith, that they could still come back, you never knew. Many years later, of course, he admitted that it was meant as a teaching moment, he just didn't expect it to be quite so good of one.

Since then, I haven't given up before the point where even a miracle wouldn't pull it out for us. I learned that lesson pretty well. :laugh:

• Like 1

1850's?

No, he actually means in the 0050s. Golf's so old that when God said, "Let there be light," he's the one who hit the switch.

• Haha 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 4* Nickel A’mon Lane Commits To AU!
  • augolf1716 unpinned this topic