2023 4* ER Ashley Williams Commits to Auburn!

aubiefifty

Decommitted after staying the night in Auburn during Big Cat Weekend. It is highly likely he lands with the Tigers... let's see what happens. Not sure what the time-frame is for his decision. He might wait a little bit or it could be some time today. He is a different type of edge than Wilky Denaud and is a high priority. Excited about this guy.

Nebraska commit 'had a great time' at Big Cat and will return to Auburn

by JD McCarthy

Auburn is desperately looking for more edge rushers in the 2023 recruiting class and one of their top targets was on campus for Big Cat on Saturday.

Ashley Williams may be committed to Nebraska but Auburn never stopped recruiting him and a “great time” at Big Cat has them firmly in the mix for the four-star prospect.

Williams told Jason Caldwell of Auburn Undercover that Auburn has a “great shot” and that “I’m still thinking right now. I’m still committed to Nebraska, but I’m still thinking about Auburn a little bit.”

“Auburn is one of the only schools that’s still talking to me after my commitment,” he said. “That means a lot. Auburn is still in my heart.”

Williams admitted that it is basically down to Auburn and Nebraska and that he plans to return to Auburn for an official visit early in the season, likely for the Penn State or LSU game.

The Zachary, Louisiana native has a couple of factors that he is using to determine which school he ends up at.

“It’s really just the relationship with the coaches and the defensive scheme that fits me,” Williams said. “Also where I think I can get to the NFL.”

He is ranked as the No. 350 overall player and No. 37 edge rusher in the 247Sports composite ranking. He is also the No. 18 player from Louisiana.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

Let us know your thoughts, and comment on this story below. Join the conversation today!

• Like 2

• Zeek changed the title to 2023 4* ER Ashley Williams || Flip Watch?!

56 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Decommitted after staying the night in Auburn during Big Cat Weekend. It is highly likely he lands with the Tigers... let's see what happens. Not sure what the time-frame is for his decision. He might wait a little bit or it could be some time today. He is a different type of edge than Wilky Denaud and is a high priority. Excited about this guy.

Thanks bud! Changed the format up to go ahead and make this a player thread for him.

• Like 1

Nebraska fans slightly heated right now after his initial 110% committed tweet to them..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Nebraska fans slightly heated right now after his initial 110% committed tweet to them..

They should save that heat for the Nebraska winter.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Sounds like Scott Frost and Nebraska weren't 110% back...

But who knows? Auburn (Alabama) is a better fit for a kid from Louisiana than Nebraska.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Thanks bud! Changed the format up to go ahead and make this a player thread for him.

not trying to step on any toes zeek it just seemed slow and thought the folks might want info. if you need it a certain way let me know.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

But who knows? Auburn (Alabama) is a better fit for a kid from Louisiana than Nebraska.

Yeah, he is quite the bit of midwest offers. Glad we are jumping on this guy. 

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

from all i have heard neb is a trainwreck. they have some serious probs and their facilities are garbage right now. and i bet all the drama at auburn last year gave him cold feet. i am not going to bash a kid who might not have had all the info he needed to commit to auburn to begin with.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

not trying to step on any toes zeek it just seemed slow and thought the folks might want info. if you need it a certain way let me know.

Nah You're doing great! I've been super busy so I appreciate it.

• Like 1

Just now, Zeek said:

Nah You're doing great! I've been super busy so I appreciate it.

i heard you had a child. wonder what your wife thinks about that.............grins. thanx for what you do. normally i leave recruiting alone. i discovered articles often have a "posted so many minutes ago" and they could be a couple of days old. live and learn i guess.

• Haha 1

This definitely the type of edge we need. Hopefully we pull him in.

That tackle at the 0:50 mark was tough to look at. I’m pretty sure that kid got his arm dislocated and tore an ACL 🤢

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

This definitely the type of edge we need. Hopefully we pull him in.

That tackle at the 0:50 mark was tough to look at. I’m pretty sure that kid got his arm dislocated and tore an ACL 🤢

I love that CBH is an offensive guy, but it is so important to sure up the defense in this league, especially in the SEC. You look at UGA, Bama and those defenses are major parts to the team success.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I love that CBH is an offensive guy, but it is so important to sure up the defense in this league, especially in the SEC. You look at UGA, Bama and those defenses are major parts to the team success.

Yeah if we can’t stop nobody then we’ll end up like Dan Mullen Florida teams

• Like 1

Word has it he's going to commit to us later today or tomorrow. Tell Bluey to be warming up.

• Like 2

Well all indications are we will be up to seven 4* commits for the 2023 class real soon. The quality is there even if the quantity is worrisome, but I know all of us wish that number was double and we were still in it for some big names at this point. Hopefully the staff stays on a few that we were hoping for and the flips continue through the season.

Edited by BigBlueWDE
  • Like 1

Boys and girls, we have seen this story written many times in the past...   Auburn is going to crap the bed.    Go ahead rival coaches and media, pick us dead last, I double eagle Aubie dare you.   You let these experienced, united and motivated Tigers send a Nittany Lion off into that quite night...   If that happens, trade your lap belt with shoulder strap in for a full on racing harness and buckle that sucker up -- tight, a'ight.   This is where we see them fight with those demons, and become men.   

• Like 3
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Boys and girls, we have seen this story written many times in the past...   Auburn is going to crap the bed.    Go ahead rival coaches and media, pick us dead last, I double eagle Aubie dare you.   You let these experienced, united and motivated Tigers send a Nittany Lion off into that quite night...   If that happens, trade your lap belt with shoulder strap in for a full on racing harness and buckle that sucker up -- tight, a'ight.   This is where we see them fight with those demons, and become men.   

Very poetic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Were interceptions even a thing in the 50's?   I don't remember my great granddad talking much about them😀.

Interceptions, the forward pass wasn’t even around! 😝 

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Interceptions, the forward pass wasn’t even around! 😝 

It was around we just didn’t use it.  We played defense and ran the ball.  Like we should be doing now.  

Can he also play LB?

Man, I keep refreshing my browser after each work call to get an update here. I was hoping his Nebraska de-commit meant an imminent AU commit, but it seems like the 2023 recruiting season is going to continue to be rough unless we get some tailwinds like going 5-0 to start the season. 

Man, I keep refreshing my browser after each work call to get an update here. I was hoping his Nebraska de-commit meant an imminent AU commit, but it seems like the 2023 recruiting season is going to continue to be rough unless we get some tailwinds like going 5-0 to start the season. 

It has literally been a couple of days. These are big decisions for these young men. The idea that he needs to impulsively commit is a major reason while NU is feeling the way they are now. He needs to take as much time as possible in his decision. I consider it a positive that coincidently after meeting with us, he decommitted from a University that he had an established relationship from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1