2023 4* OL Bo Hughley || Flip Watch?!

Rednilla

Tate just seems like a slimy guy to me...I dunno.  Never took to his reporting.  Seems like he's more worried about staying relevant to college students and angry fans than doing actual work.

• Like 1

I would love to see him flip but he apparently is really torn so If he flips I doubt if it will happen anytime soon.  So I am gong to hope that we sign some other solid O-Line so that if he flips it will be icing on the cake and if he doesn't we are not dead in the water when it comes to O-Line. With all we have leaving after this year we will need at least 4 HS O-line in this class and at least 3 O-Line in the Portal for next year. Also really will need Zierer and Jones to come back so we will have some starters returning for 2023. 

Yeah I posted some time ago that all we have left on the roster is one Junior, one sophomore, and the rest are freshman including walk Ons I have never heard of… Years of terrible recruiting under Gus and now a poor start under Harsin will reach it’s peak next year.  
It is hard to imagine a power five team, especially one in the SEC, that has done worse than us at recruiting o linemen. 
I’ve never seen anything like it. 

lew is essential 

• Like 5

Tate just seems like a slimy guy to me...I dunno.  Never took to his reporting.  Seems like he's more worried about staying relevant to college students and angry fans than doing actual work.

I agree some of his content is kinda out there 

• Like 1

I am not a fan of J Tate and company. 

I am, quite specifically, not a fan of Tate. I don't really know much about the 'and company' to know who it is, but Jay G. Tate wrote for the Montgomery Advertiser reaching back about as far as I can remember reading the Advertiser (my parents had an annual subscription to the paper at least through 2010), and most of that staff was pretty ridiculous. I didn't realize it at the time, because it was my first writing gig ever, and I was just trying not to s*** the bed, but that place was a wasteland of hack journalists. Think it was Josh Moon whose article about how Auburn should try to schedule non-conference P5 games against formerly great teams that had name recognition but not as much recent success that I tore to pieces in an effort to convince LC (the executive editor of the sports page) to give me a shot so I could see what it is to be a newspaper reporter. And while I realize that the grind of doing that job is far beyond what I experienced covering two D3 football games, one high school football game, and a wrestling match, I got enough of a taste of pounding out ten inches (of column space, get your mind out of the gutter) while under the pressure of a 1 AM print deadline to understand exactly how hard they were trying to manufacture news.

Oh, I destroyed Moon's logic by using it against him on two points. First off, we did schedule a former powerhouse with name recognition and not much recent success. It just so happened that we drew USC right as they were beginning their most recent dynasty. Then I REALLY pulled the rug out from under the point by noting that every other team was trying to use that formula of the former powerhouse with name recognition but not much recent success, and then pointing out how well Auburn had played over the last few years (this was preseason 08). I believe my final line of the piece (which was MUCH too long for print in a newspaper, sadly, because I incorporated a lot of stats and research to take apart the first article wholly and completely) was about that bit of every other team wanting the same formula of a sleeping giant to beat for recognition without too much difficulty, and "so who in their right mind would want to schedule the resurgent Auburn Tigers?"

It was a strong point in preseason 08, because we averaged better than 10 wins a season from 04-07. Didn't stand up too much longer, of course, but I'm still pretty proud of myself for seeing the flaw in his logic and then using that to get a foot in the door. Not my favorite style of writing, but the experience was invaluable for my perspective of the media.

• Like 1

cinegramm-therapy.gif

And how does that make you feel?

It makes me laugh, because most of this I figured out in retrospect (but not in therapy). I didn't really know what I was getting myself into, I just wanted to start trying to make something of myself as a writer.

Us too

Laugh all you want, just don't put me back in the strait-jacket, and we're cool. ;) 

Javion Cohen 2.0 situation brewing...

If there's any truth to this, I hope they publicly and spectacularly pull his scholarship offer. I don't even care if he mislead Auburn's coaching staff... but purposely deceiving Phillip Dukes, potentially killing his sports writing career? That's just despicable.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 10.32.18 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Javion Cohen 2.0 situation brewing...

If there's any truth to this, I hope they publicly and spectacularly pull his scholarship offer. I don't even care if he mislead Auburn's coaching staff... but purposely deceiving Phillip Dukes, potentially killing his sports writing career? That's just despicable.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 10.32.18 PM.png

Agreed. I had speculated this could be the case, and hate to be right. They knew Dukes is a fan at the end of the day and will run with stuff. He was the perfect candidate to get played, just like with Hurley.

Sucks for Dukes, as I don't see how he continues in his role after two of the worst misses ever seen. If he does, his reputation will be trashed and no one will believe anything he puts out. Hopefully Hughley pays his lost salary every year

• Like 2

Agreed. I had speculated this could be the case, and hate to be right. They knew Dukes is a fan at the end of the day and will run with stuff. He was the perfect candidate to get played, just like with Hurley.

Sucks for Dukes, as I don't see how he continues in his role after two of the worst misses ever seen. If he does, his reputation will be trashed and no one will believe anything he puts out. Hopefully Hughley pays his lost salary every year

Shoot. Apparently Dukes even drove Hughley to BCW... If I were Dukes and ever found out that not only was Hughley playing me, but was being fed pointers by UGA staff/ NIL collective, I'd sue their pants off for defamation.

Shoot. Apparently Dukes even drove Hughley to BCW... If I were Dukes and ever found out that not only was Hughley playing me, but was being fed pointers by UGA staff/ NIL collective, I'd sue their pants off for defamation.

Maybe this was all the player's doing but I was highly skeptical of this happening in AU's favor considering this falls right into the tricks CKS has used in the past.   He's a dirty little turd at his core and stuff like this happened when he was at Bama and has happened since he's been at UGA (see George Pickens).    Hopefully the AU staff didn't expend much effort thinking this was going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He's an entertainer/hot take guy more than an insider, IMO.  I enjoy his post game podcasts until he takes callers.  Also, hard to trust a man over 40 with frosted tips.  He is the definition of a "Dad-Bro".

• Haha 5

I am, quite specifically, not a fan of Tate. I don't really know much about the 'and company' to know who it is, but Jay G. Tate wrote for the Montgomery Advertiser reaching back about as far as I can remember reading the Advertiser (my parents had an annual subscription to the paper at least through 2010), and most of that staff was pretty ridiculous. I didn't realize it at the time, because it was my first writing gig ever, and I was just trying not to s*** the bed, but that place was a wasteland of hack journalists. Think it was Josh Moon whose article about how Auburn should try to schedule non-conference P5 games against formerly great teams that had name recognition but not as much recent success that I tore to pieces in an effort to convince LC (the executive editor of the sports page) to give me a shot so I could see what it is to be a newspaper reporter. And while I realize that the grind of doing that job is far beyond what I experienced covering two D3 football games, one high school football game, and a wrestling match, I got enough of a taste of pounding out ten inches (of column space, get your mind out of the gutter) while under the pressure of a 1 AM print deadline to understand exactly how hard they were trying to manufacture news.

Oh, I destroyed Moon's logic by using it against him on two points. First off, we did schedule a former powerhouse with name recognition and not much recent success. It just so happened that we drew USC right as they were beginning their most recent dynasty. Then I REALLY pulled the rug out from under the point by noting that every other team was trying to use that formula of the former powerhouse with name recognition but not much recent success, and then pointing out how well Auburn had played over the last few years (this was preseason 08). I believe my final line of the piece (which was MUCH too long for print in a newspaper, sadly, because I incorporated a lot of stats and research to take apart the first article wholly and completely) was about that bit of every other team wanting the same formula of a sleeping giant to beat for recognition without too much difficulty, and "so who in their right mind would want to schedule the resurgent Auburn Tigers?"

It was a strong point in preseason 08, because we averaged better than 10 wins a season from 04-07. Didn't stand up too much longer, of course, but I'm still pretty proud of myself for seeing the flaw in his logic and then using that to get a foot in the door. Not my favorite style of writing, but the experience was invaluable for my perspective of the media.

I had no idea you were a journalist for a minute. Very cool.  My Uncle graduated from Auburn's journalism school back in the late 70s before going to UGA Law.  Not surprising, I always noticed you were very well written.  

• Like 1

You'd have to be the biggest mark in the world to think Hughley is coming to Auburn. 

To be fair, Auburn can offer him something UGA can't. Opportunity to compete for a starting job, day 1, especially if he is an EE.  Besides that, not much draw for him.

Edited by Didba

Also, I don't see Charlie5 as very reputable or credible. Some of his takes re; offensive scheme are very bad.  At one point I thought he was an in the closet Gus Apologist.

Also, I don't see Charlie5 as very reputable or credible. Some of his takes re; offensive scheme are very bad.  At one point I thought he was an in the closet Gus Apologist.

Don't know who Charlie5 is, but seeing more talk about Hughley not coming to Auburn by posters on other sites who I've come to respect. Jhead on On3 just said that he's done a 180 on Hughley and no longer expects him to come to Auburn. 

Don't know who Charlie5 is, but seeing more talk about Hughley not coming to Auburn by posters on other sites who I've come to respect. Jhead on On3 just said that he's done a 180 on Hughley and no longer expects him to come to Auburn. 

He is a message board "guru" that is a weekly guest on LockedOn Auburn.

• Like 1

JHead and the On3 guys are much better sources for recruiting, IMO.