2023 4* OL Bo Hughley || Flip Watch?!

Rednilla

Honestly it's not very surprising, so hard to be upset about it.

When it comes to recruiting, I think the track record of Kirby/UGA vs our staff pretty much told you all you needed to know about how this would go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JHead and the On3 guys are much better sources for recruiting, IMO.

JHead just posted that he no longer feels confident about Hughley.

As expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As expected.

JD.gif

• Haha 1

UGA wasn't letting this one go 

I suspected early on that he was using us as leverage to get more NIL.

• Sad 1

As expected.

You're of the opinion that this is more the current staff's fault than NIL, correct (specifically the way they've alienated important people)? Your content here and on Rant since February has made me feel way better about our long term future.

Edited by AUwent

You're of the opinion that this is more the current staff's fault than NIL, correct (specifically the way they've alienated important people)? Your content here and on Rant since February has made me feel way better about our long term future.

I don't think this one is anyone's "fault". This kid is from Georgia and he's Georgia's only current OT commit. They actually didn't do amazingly well recruiting OT's last class and apart from Hughley they're not sitting at a very good position for any other "elite" OT's in 2023. This means that they have a very high priority in making sure that Hughley signs with them, and it shouldn't be very surprising as to why a kid of that talent would want to sign with instate Georgia and not us.

It sounds like he may have used us to beef up his NIL deal with Georgia (ie: play up the idea that he's about to flip, and using that to get them to up their offer to him).

• Like 6

I don't think this one is anyone's "fault". This kid is from Georgia and he's Georgia's only current OT commit. They actually didn't do amazingly well recruiting OT's last class and apart from Hughley they're not sitting at a very good position for any other "elite" OT's in 2023. This means that they have a very high priority in making sure that Hughley signs with them, and it shouldn't be very surprising as to why a kid of that talent would want to sign with instate Georgia and not us.

It sounds like he may have used us to beef up his NIL deal with Georgia (ie: play up the idea that he's about to flip, and using that to get them to up their offer to him).

Sorry, I should've elaborated--by "this," I meant our recruiting woes in general. I just can't buy (no pun intended) that we're this poor a program/booster base, so desperately hoping that if things don't turn around with Harsin, then getting someone who can get along with the PTB and who has regional clout will get the machine running. I do not expect us to be top five in recruiting but I do expect us to be top 15 on a consistent basis, completely capable of landing quality O-linemen at that.

Edited by AUwent

Haven't seen it mentioned, I wonder if NIL bagmen can claim NIL payments as donations/gifts to higher education for tax purposes?

• Haha 1

How’s this NIL  thing going for all you Auburn fans that thought it was such a great thing for these kids to get “ paid” for playing college football? We’re not quite in the same league as the Bamas, UGA’s, Ohio States, are we? You can kiss those “ lightning in a bottle” years we used to have goodbye too. Get back with me if this thing ever goes back to “ college” ball again, but I ain’t holding my breath

• Like 1

How’s this NIL  thing going for all you Auburn fans that thought it was such a great thing for these kids to get “ paid” for playing college football? We’re not quite in the same league as the Bamas, UGA’s, Ohio States, are we? You can kiss those “ lightning in a bottle” years we used to have goodbye too. Get back with me if this thing ever goes back to “ college” ball again, but I ain’t holding my breath

Athletes have been "getting paid" for years. NIL could be a good thing if it is regulated properly. 

• Like 1

Athletes have been "getting paid" for years. NIL could be a good thing if it is regulated properly. 

Yeah, right. Regulated by who?

• Like 2

Yeah, right. Regulated by who?

Prob no one. My opinion, it will run its course. Whoever is paying all this NIL money will get mad and stop paying when their chosen guy doesn't pan out or transfers to a rivals school.  Just gotta run its course. I think the athletes should get a stipend % of the TV money. That's how I would regulate it. But if u think kids ain't been getting paid for years, your sadly mistaken. Back in the day, I personally saw it with all 4 of my eyes

Edited by NWALA Tiger

Prob no one. My opinion, it will run its course. Whoever is paying all this NIL money will get mad and stop paying when their chosen guy doesn't pan out or transfers to a rivals school.  Just gotta run its course. I think the athletes should get a stipend % of the TV money. That's how I would regulate it. But if u think kids ain't been getting paid for years, your sadly mistaken. Back in the day, I personally saw it with all 4 of my eyes

Lets go back to those thrilling days of 2004. Carlos Rogers had one good pair of jeans and had to wash them daily. Ronnie Brown drove a junker that had vice grips attached to the heater control. Caddy Williams also had a junker, his had masking tape over a missing side window among other problems. That's three 1st round draft picks right there. If AU was paying players we were certainly not paying the right ones.

Lets go back to those thrilling days of 2004. Carlos Rogers had one good pair of jeans and had to wash them daily. Ronnie Brown drove a junker that had vice grips attached to the heater control. Caddy Williams also had a junker, his had masking tape over a missing side window among other problems. That's three 1st round draft picks right there. If AU was paying players we were certainly not paying the right ones.

I never said all players were getting paid. Nor did I mention any players at AU specifically were getting paid. But I will say it again,  if u think some players  haven't gotten paid in the past, your not living in reality. The latest example, check McDonald's sacks in Knoxville.. What I have knowledge of wasn't a football player,  it was a basketball player BTW and he didn't sign with AU, it was another SEC school many yrs ago. And I will say it AGAIN,  players deserve a share of the TV money. That takes boosters and phoney NIL out of it

I never said all players were getting paid. Nor did I mention any players at AU specifically were getting paid. But I will say it again,  if u think some players  haven't gotten paid in the past, your not living in reality. The latest example, check McDonald's sacks in Knoxville.. What I have knowledge of wasn't a football player,  it was a basketball player BTW and he didn't sign with AU, it was another SEC school many yrs ago. And I will say it AGAIN,  players deserve a share of the TV money. That takes boosters and phoney NIL out of it

I don't think that plan gets past the court rulings that allowed the NIL to begin with. Recipients of the TV money would simply take that and then turn around and get NIL money on top of it.

I don't think that plan gets past the court rulings that allowed the NIL to begin with. Recipients of the TV money would simply take that and then turn around and get NIL money on top of it.

Well, really no need arguing about, cats out of the bag and this is what everybody wanted!

Yep. Be interesting to see the state of college athletics in 5 years

Originally I thought it would open the door for a school like Auburn to be more competitive. We have always been thrown under the bus by the state school. Evening up the rules on paying players would be an obvious benefit to us, right?

However, I discounted the booster$ not pulling in the same direction out of the gate...when it really, really mattered as NIL became a thing everywhere.

Now we see that schools like aTm, Miami, USC, etc pulled in the same direction and quickly took advantage (pushing the rules really) and the already rich will remain rich.

My gut is that we move to Tier 3 over the next 5 years bc we can't get our act together.

Originally I thought it would open the door for a school like Auburn to be more competitive. We have always been thrown under the bus by the state school. Evening up the rules on paying players would be an obvious benefit to us, right?

However, I discounted the booster$ not pulling in the same direction out of the gate...when it really, really mattered as NIL became a thing everywhere.

Now we see that schools like aTm, Miami, USC, etc pulled in the same direction and quickly took advantage (pushing the rules really) and the already rich will remain rich.

My gut is that we move to Tier 3 over the next 5 years bc we can't get our act together.

How many more coaches will we go through til we figure out it’s really not the coach

If it calms your mind...

I'm sorry to be repetitive posting these links but they really do keep my hope for our long term outlook alive. Notice that we signed a 5* in b-ball this past year, AFTER the NIL came into place. Yes, he left an imploding LSU but he could've gone literally anywhere and chose us. Granted this was as of last September but we had the fifth most valuable NIL player in SEC football *counting* TX and OK--gee, maybe we shouldn't have let him go? There is no way we are this dirt poor community college program, worse off than >80% of P5 schools like some on this board claim. If we actually are, time to get out of the SEC. But I don't believe that to be the case. Fact is our HC, OC, DC, and most of our assistants have virtually no experience in the region. I personally believe a change will be made in December '23. If that happens, hire a guy who can rub elbows with the PTB and who has regional clout and the situation should improve.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it calms your mind...

I'm sorry to be repetitive posting these links but they really do keep my hope for our long term outlook alive. Notice that we signed a 5* in b-ball this past year, AFTER the NIL came into place. Yes, he left an imploding LSU but he could've gone literally anywhere and chose us. Granted this was as of last September but we had the fifth most valuable NIL player in SEC football *counting* TX and OK--gee, maybe we shouldn't have let him go? There is no way we are this dirt poor community college program, worse off than >80% of P5 schools like some on this board claim. If we actually are, time to get out of the SEC. But I don't believe that to be the case. Fact is our HC, OC, DC, and most of our assistants have virtually no experience in the region. I personally believe a change will be made in December '23. If that happens, hire a guy who can rub elbows with the PTB and who has regional clout and the situation should improve.

Good idea and sounds simple. Any thoughts on why we didn’t do that last time? 

• Like 3