Auburn vs Israel U20 Team

toddc

We're going to out rebound a few teams.

You know those teams that are a heavy favorite to win it all...then they fall flat...but then the next year they win it all, and everybody is like "oh".  

Like Tennessee after Peyton Manning left? Or, hell, us in 03-04 except we didn't get the chance to win it in the follow-up year.

I don't know basketball examples of your point, but it'd be awesome if that happens for us this year.

Very fun game to watch.  Hard to tell our competition.  Our top 10 players this year will be better than our top 10 last year.

we’ll play a ton of folks a ton of minutes before January.  I don’t know how good we’ll be but I think there will be no team we can’t beat.  I particularly enjoyed watching Broome, Westry and our desire to pass inside in a variety of ways.  All returning players looked more athletic.

gonna be a fun year following this team.

We're going to out rebound a few teams.

You know those teams that are a heavy favorite to win it all...then they fall flat...but then the next year they win it all, and everybody is like "oh".  

And then they hold your blowout victory over Citadel as proof that you haven’t played anybody and select OSU and USC to play for the MNC.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2022/08/takeaways-from-auburn-basketballs-117-56-exhibition-win-against-israel-u-20-national-team.html

“I just want to thank everybody else for missing shots, so I could get them,” Cardwell said. “That was the first double-double in my life. 

:laugh: 

Love this quote. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I know it’s just one game but my eyes telling me that Westry is a one and done . He has the IT factor. Team looked pretty good for a first game. Only Stretch seemed to struggle for some reason.

Edited by e808

Honestly, when this guy leaves auburn, I will be very sad. He's one of my favorite players on any AU team regardless of talent

You and me both. I've said it before that he reminds me so much of Horace Spencer. Not the best offensively but he'll give you 100% every second of every game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

War Eagle! Just caught the highlights and can’t help but to be excited for this years team. What a awesome experience and opportunity to get these games on the schedule. My guess is that this will really help the team to get closer as a group and more comfortable as a team. 

• Like 1

So glad to have our Tigers getting off to a really good start with an exhibition where everyone got to play.

Anyone got a box score that includes all of the Auburn players who made the floor? All I'm finding are the stats for the top guys, but not including Flannigan, for example..

That was a fun game to watch! Don’t want to get too overly excited cause we looked to be on a different level versus that 20 and under team. But I was really encouraged by how together the team was playing. There are a lot of new faces on this team and we did not look clunky at all. Switched well on D and moved the ball well on O. 

I was also impressed by how athletic every single player on our team looks. Broome and Traore both move really well for bigs and Cardwell looked a little more under control. We don’t have the 7ft presence this season but I think that group is going to cause people problems around the basket and also with switching out on guards and being able to stay in front and contest shots on the perimeter. 

Westry had some really nice plays as well. Looked pretty comfortable playing point from what I saw but he’ll have to show more of that against better competition. He does appear to have a true 3 level offensive game so that will be amazing to have on the team. And to finally have some size at guard with him and Flan! 

Finally, full stats (courtesy Auburn Undercover).

F Yohan Traore: 20 points (7-12 FG), 6-11 FT, 8 rebounds, 2 steals

C Johni Broome: 17 points, (8-9 FG), 1-2 FT, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks, 3 turnovers, 1 steal, 1 assist

G/F Chance Westry: 13 points (5-8 FG, 0-1 3FG), 2-4 FT, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 rebound, 1 turnover

G K.D. Johnson: 13 points (4-10 FG, 3-8 3FG), 2-2 FT, 5 assists, 3 steals, 3 turnovers, 2 rebounds

C Dylan Cardwell: 12 points (6-9 FG), 14 rebounds, 0-1 FT, 3 blocks, 3 assists

G/F Allen Flanigan: 10 points (4-10 FG, 1-3 3FG), 1-1 FT, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 turnovers

F Jaylin Williams: 9 points (3-7 FG, 1-2 3FG), 2-2 FT, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 block

G Wendell Green Jr.: 8 points (2-7 FG, 0-3 3FG), 4-4 FT, 7 rebounds, 5 assist, 3 turnovers, 2 steals

G Zep Jasper: 7 points (3-4 FG, 1-2 3FG), 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover

G/F Chris Moore: 4 points (2-4 FG, 0-1 3FG), 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal

C Stretch Akingbola: 2 points (1-5, 0-1 3FG), 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block

G Tre Donaldson: 2 points (1-4 FG), 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We beat up on a bunch of teenagers. Now let's see how we do as the opposition goes up a notch. Go Tigers:au:

Granted not the best competition but I don't think them being teenagers had much to do with it. Our lineup was full of teenagers too. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

for you guys that had to work and missed it.