Tiger football commit focused

aubiefifty

Tiger football commit focused on having an even better senior season

Mark Murphy
3-4 minutes

2023 DL Wilky Denaud commits to Auburn

AUBURN, Alabama - It is going to be difficult for Auburn football commit Jeremiah Cobb to improve on the impressive numbers he put together as a junior running back at Catholic High School in Montgomery, but he says that is his goal.

“Yes, I can get better as a senior,” said Cobb, who was in Auburn last weekend at the football program’s annual Big Cat event for prospects. “I just have to keep working on myself and with the team to do the best I can.”

As a junior, Cobb, a 4-star recruit, rushed for 2,163 yards and 30 touchdowns while averaging better than 11 yards per carry. He averaged a touchdown once every 6.5 rushing attempts. His numbers as a receiver were also impressive in 2021. He averaged better than 23 yards per reception while finishing with 561 yards and eight scores. He put the ball in the end zone on one out of every three receptions.

Heading into his senior season for the Knights, Cobb has rushed for 4,551 yards and 52 touchdowns while averaging close to 10 yards per carry dating back to his ninth grade year.

At 5-foot-11, 190 pounds with good speed, it was a big deal for the Tigers to get Cobb committed on July 1. He chose Auburn over Clemson, North Carolina, Tennessee and other programs.

At Big Cat, Cobb, rated the No. 6 running back prospect by 247Sports, spent time with his future position coach, Cadillac Williams.

"We hung out and ate together and all kinds of stuff,” Cobb said. “We kind of chilled. He is saying to me how big a priority I am to the program. Big Cat was real fun. There was a family vibe, and we were all having fun. We played games and got to know everybody.”

Asked what his personal expectations are for his senior season, Cobb said, “My expectations are to be a better leader on the field for the younger guys so when I leave the program they will know what to do. Overall, I want to help the team the best I can.”

Cobb, 17 years old, may be a bit larger by the time he is carrying the football for the Tigers. “I am definitely still growing,” he said, noting he likes his current weight while pointing out that adding a couple more pounds would probably be a good thing. He is also working on growing stronger and faster with workouts on his own in addition to training with his team. Cobb also competes in track and field. Asked what time he is most proud of it he pointed to a clocking of 10.7 seconds in the 100 meters.

For now he said his focus is “just football.”

“I  might not run track this season," Cobb said. "I might just do the workouts to improve my strength and my speed.”

">247Sports
  • Like 1