wide receiver room is heavily undervalued

aubiefifty

Woah, what's up with all this extending the arms away from the body and catching it with your hands while looking it in? Where'd that come from?

• Like 1

You guys still going at the wr's 😂 as soon as we get a good QB watch how the wr's come along

• Like 3

I’m feeling pretty optimistic about the WR room! Moore and King could seriously break out and Dawson is getting lots of praise from the coaches. 

Camden Brown has also looked really good apparently. I can’t remember the last time our WR core was getting so much praise in august 

Edited by AuburnTiger4Life
  • Like 4

Not razzing on our guys, but just pointing out ..... The actual WR group is not under-VALUED. It is under-SIZED. These guys have talent, they just don't have tallness. That's a limitation in today's game that appreciates receivers who can contest for 50/50 balls.

If they were Olympic speed to stretch the field ........ um .........

I'm not a Negative Nellie. I'm eager to see how Harsin uses the wide receivers ***in tandem with*** the really good TE/HB group, to create a really dynamic, explosive offense. The combination could be lethal.

Edited by AURex

Well good thing is out of all these guys coming back, transfers, and a great new WR coach chances are at least a few of these guys are dawgs now. All the guys are looking up to Shed. He gotta get to the next level man.

• Like 2

This is a weird article. Of course the WR group could be good. But the preseason ratings make perfect sense, since we have no one that's proven anything. 

I remain concerned about this group. And I hope for the best. 

Not razzing on our guys, but just pointing out ..... The actual WR group is not under-VALUED. It is under-SIZED. These guys have talent, they just don't have tallness. That's a limitation in today's game that appreciates receivers who can contest for 50/50 balls.

I'm not a Negative Nellie. I'm eager to see how Harsin uses the wide receivers ***in tandem with*** the really good TE/HB group, to create a really dynamic, explosive offense. The combination could be lethal.

Landen King is 6’5

Zevian Capers 6’4

Cam Brown is 6’3

do y’all do your research before you post? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Landen King is 6’5

Zevian Capers 6’4

Cam Brown is 6’3

I gotta think that with the addition of Moore and King focused on being a WR coupled with experienced WR specific coaching this group as a whole will take a big step forward. 

Now do we have a passer that can get them the ball????? 

• Like 1

FYI, size isn't everything for receivers. The last Biletnikoff winner who was taller than 6'1 was Calvin Johnson.

Landen King is 6’5

Zevian Capers 6’4

Cam Brown is 6’3

Not to mention some of our tight ends are massive

Landen King is 6’5

Zevian Capers 6’4

Cam Brown is 6’3

Landon King is listed on the roster as a TE, not a WR. "do y'all research before you post?"

You're right about Capers. IMO, he's the best of the returning WR group. Brown is just a freshman, so not sure what to expect from him.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Landon King is listed on the roster as a TE, not a WR. "do y'all research before you post?"

You're right about Capers. IMO, he's the best of the returning WR group. Brown is just a freshman, so not sure what to expect from him.

Do better research. 😀

Official AU roster has him as WR and he has changed his number to 14.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Do better research. 😀

Official AU roster has him as WR and he has changed his number to 14.

Some of these dudes just be talking lol. Good stuff . 

• Like 2

King has been moved to WR and has been since spring.

• Like 1

My controversial take of the day. Camden Brown will overtake Zevian Capers either during camp or first half of the season and will become that dude on the outside starting now. Lotta folks think he'll be good but will need a few years. That is the likely outcome, but I think there's a real chance he is in the rotation by mid-season. 

• Like 1

Brown was promoted to the veteran group after one practice. He showed out and caught everything within his radius. 

I actually think we have a great mix of sizes and skillsets at WR position. 

Capers, Brown, and Evans all 6'3 plus.

King is a monster.

They are just unproven. I think Brown and Fair both get significant PT this year. If used correctly, Landon King will be an absolutely nightmare. 

I don’t care what statistical gymnastics the author is doing, last year was not our best passing attack of the 21st century. Not close. I’d say it wasn’t even in the top half. 

2004, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2020 right off the top of my head were light years better than our air attack last year.

Passing yards per game in excess of 200 YPG from 2000 through 2021:

2021 = 240.1
2004 = 237.4
2017 = 233.4
2014 = 229.5
2018 = 222.5
2020 = 220.3
2009 = 219.8
2010 = 214.4
2019 = 207.5
2001 = 207.5

To be fair, it is not unusual for a team with a losing record to have a high passing yards per game, because they are often forced to pass to come back from behind or forced to pass because they were unable to establish their running game.

2013 was not a big passing year for Auburn because we were so successful running the ball—we were the number one rushing team in the country in rushing yards per game. We had four games with less than 100 passing yards, three of those with fewer than 10 passing attempts. For example, we only threw the ball 7 times against Tennessee for 35 yards. Against Missouri, in the SEC Championship Game, we only threw the ball 11 times.

But to your point, when you look at completion percentages, in the past (2004, 2010, 2017) we were much more effective, and we took a big step down between 2017 and 2018. And 2009 was better than any year after 2018. If you look at those three top years, they correlate to three of our four most successful seasons.

2004 = 68.5
2017 = 66.8
2010 = 65.5
2014 = 62.7
2018 = 61.2
2009 = 59.9
2020 = 59.7
2021 = 58.9
2001 = 58.7
2019 = 57.8

For comparison, in 2013 the completion rate was 60.7.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

image.png.3165a549f6fd29bb7e03a016c63da25f.png

• Love 1

This is a weird article. Of course the WR group could be good. But the preseason ratings make perfect sense, since we have no one that's proven anything. 

I remain concerned about this group. And I hope for the best. 

We might finally have consistent, high quality WR coaching for the first time in over a decade. If you recall the old Jeff Foxworthy joke "If your family tree does not fork, you might be a redneck." Well, if your WR route tree does not fork, you might be Malzahn.

• Like 1

It amazes me to think how much talent we have absolutely just wasted at WR the last two decades and yet, continue to convince talented receivers it'll be different for them. I can't wait to see what this scheme and CIH can do for the current talent 

^^^This^^^

We might finally have consistent, high quality WR coaching for the first time in over a decade. If you recall the old Jeff Foxworthy joke "If your family tree does not fork, you might be a redneck." Well, if your WR route tree does not fork, you might be Malzahn.

Yes!!!! Lots of reason for optimism. We have a legit coach at this position. This group is young and I’m hoping hungry! Covid hurt some of these younger guys last year early in the season. Hoping with a full spring and fall and no Covid sit out quarantines they can blossom. Our line was actually decent at pass blocking last year and their all back. Hoping Calzada takes that predicted second year step up and gets the ball to our WRs. 

Passing yards per game in excess of 200 YPG from 2000 through 2021:

2021 = 240.1
2004 = 237.4
2017 = 233.4
2014 = 229.5
2018 = 222.5
2020 = 220.3
2009 = 219.8
2010 = 214.4
2019 = 207.5
2001 = 207.5

To be fair, it is not unusual for a team with a losing record to have a high passing yards per game, because they are often forced to pass to come back from behind or forced to pass because they were unable to establish their running game.

2013 was not a big passing year for Auburn because we were so successful running the ball—we were the number one rushing team in the country in rushing yards per game. We had four games with less than 100 passing yards, three of those with fewer than 10 passing attempts. For example, we only threw the ball 7 times against Tennessee for 35 yards. Against Missouri, in the SEC Championship Game, we only threw the ball 11 times.

But to your point, when you look at completion percentages, in the past (2004, 2010, 2017) we were much more effective, and we took a big step down between 2017 and 2018. And 2009 was better than any year after 2018. If you look at those three top years, they correlate to three of our four most successful seasons.

2004 = 68.5
2017 = 66.8
2010 = 65.5
2014 = 62.7
2018 = 61.2
2009 = 59.9
2020 = 59.7
2021 = 58.9
2001 = 58.7
2019 = 57.8

For comparison, in 2013 the completion rate was 60.7.

Hey, stop with the statistical gymnastics. we don't do that here...

/s