wide receiver room is heavily undervalued

aubiefifty

This is just FYI, and the big CAVEAT, it is from the official Auburn University Athletic Department Football Program ROSTER, which apparently is not "research" for some guys on this board who are MUCH more knowledgeable than the Auburn University Athletic Department Football Program.

This is the roster according to our Athletic Dept. I added Landon King, because even though he is considered a TE according to the Athletic Dept, a guy here on the board says he is a WR, so OK, I added him as a WR. So here are the guys in the room.

Ja'Varius Johnson -- 5'10" 160 lbs
Tar'Varish Dawson -- 5'10" 161 lbs
Jay Fair -- 5'10" 181 lbs
Jake Kruse -- 5'10" 170 lbs
Jackson Bilings -- 5'10" 182 lbs
Colby Stafford -- 5'11" 176 lbs
Omari Kelly -- 6'0" 176 lbs
Tommy Nesmith -- 6'0" 180 lbs
Trent Mason -- 6'1" 187 lbs
Whit Johnson -- 6'1" 193 lbs
Malcolm Johnson -- 6'1" 195 lbs
Koy Moore -- 6'1" 192 lbs
Dazalin Worsham -- 6'1" 177 lbs
JJ Evans -- 6'2" 218 lbs
Sheedrick Jackson -- 6'2" 202 lbs
Ze'Vian Capers -- 6'4" 192 lbs
Landen King? -- TE -- 6'5" 220 lbs

Now, personally, I played WR although my primary sport was as a swimmer. But I am 6'3". To ME, (and this is just ME), this is a rather undersized group compared to the WR corps at our SEC competitors.

Talent? YES! And I am excited to see some of these guys in action. War Eagle!

Great that you have your opinion but let's look at some facts.

Height of the top two producing WRs of each SEC West Team:

Bama: 6'2 and 6'0

Arkansas: 6'3 and 6'1

LSU: 6'0 and 6'3

Ole Miss: 6'0 and 6'0

Miss state: 6'3 and 6'0

Aggies : 5'10 and 6'2

I would argue we are right there with every group in terms of SEC height for WRs. A big reason is the way the game has gone now. No longer do you have to be 6'4,225 and run a 4.4 to be consider prototypical. In fact, If you look at the top 5 WRs in the NFL based on receiving production ( Cooper Kupp, Justin Jefferson, Devante Adams,  Jamar Chase, Deebo Samuels) none of those guys are listed as taller than 6'2. Sure it would be nice to have 4 Mike Evans like players on the roster, but you definitely don't have to have that to be successful.

FYI: King is listed as a WR by our Athletic Department.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

Speaking of WR Landon King. I was surprised to hear that he is in the 4th rotation group of fall camp this week. Not sure how much to read into it but we might actually have some depth in that group as well as talent. 

Speaking of WR Landon King. I was surprised to hear that he is in the 4th rotation group of fall camp this week. Not sure how much to read into it but we might actually have some depth in that group as well as talent. 

He’s still learning the position of wide receiver is the only reason.

• Like 3

This is just FYI, and the big CAVEAT, it is from the official Auburn University Athletic Department Football Program ROSTER, which apparently is not "research" for some guys on this board who are MUCH more knowledgeable than the Auburn University Athletic Department Football Program.

This is the roster according to our Athletic Dept. I added Landon King, because even though he is considered a TE according to the Athletic Dept, a guy here on the board says he is a WR, so OK, I added him as a WR. So here are the guys in the room.

Ja'Varius Johnson -- 5'10" 160 lbs
Tar'Varish Dawson -- 5'10" 161 lbs
Jay Fair -- 5'10" 181 lbs
Jake Kruse -- 5'10" 170 lbs
Jackson Bilings -- 5'10" 182 lbs
Colby Stafford -- 5'11" 176 lbs
Omari Kelly -- 6'0" 176 lbs
Tommy Nesmith -- 6'0" 180 lbs
Trent Mason -- 6'1" 187 lbs
Whit Johnson -- 6'1" 193 lbs
Malcolm Johnson -- 6'1" 195 lbs
Koy Moore -- 6'1" 192 lbs
Dazalin Worsham -- 6'1" 177 lbs
JJ Evans -- 6'2" 218 lbs
Sheedrick Jackson -- 6'2" 202 lbs
Ze'Vian Capers -- 6'4" 192 lbs
Landen King? -- TE -- 6'5" 220 lbs

Now, personally, I played WR although my primary sport was as a swimmer. But I am 6'3". To ME, (and this is just ME), this is a rather undersized group compared to the WR corps at our SEC competitors.

Talent? YES! And I am excited to see some of these guys in action. War Eagle!

AUREx you left off Camden Brown, 6'3", who is turning heads.  8 Scholarship receivers at 6'1" or taller is really good IMO.  

• Like 2

Great that you have your opinion but let's look at some facts.

Height of the top two producing WRs of each SEC West Team:

Bama: 6'2 and 6'0

Arkansas: 6'3 and 6'1

LSU: 6'0 and 6'3

Ole Miss: 6'0 and 6'0

Miss state: 6'3 and 6'0

Aggies : 5'10 and 6'2

I would argue we are right there with every group in terms of SEC height for WRs. A big reason is the way the game has gone now. No longer do you have to be 6'4,225 and run a 4.4 to be consider prototypical. In fact, If you look at the top 5 WRs in the NFL based on receiving production ( Cooper Kupp, Justin Jefferson, Devante Adams,  Jamar Chase, Deebo Samuels) none of those guys are listed as taller than 6'2. Sure it would be nice to have 4 Mike Evans like players on the roster, but you definitely don't have to have that to be successful.

FYI: King is listed as a WR by our Athletic Department.

That list also doesn't include the incoming freshmen, like Camden Brown, who is 6'2, and Omari Kelly, who is listed by 247 as 6'2.