All Things Fall Camp Thread

toddc

It’s a long read so I posted a link. This guy embodies the type of player CBH is looking for. See the Koy Moore Interview as well.

We got MoJo...hell yeah!

• Like 1

Kinda knew that part, did you now?

less of the pancake more of the running myself out of the play...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

Decent legs, decent hinny, decent midsection, decent smile, decent hair....

Decent pick up ...

• Like 1

For me, this might be the biggest takeaway after Saturday’s scrimmage. Linebacker is a big deal after loosing two great ones from last year. They are going to be needed big time for our defense to be good.

Linebackers earn major praise following Auburn's scrimmage

20 hours ago

AUBURN, Alabama–In a scrimmage during which the defense held the upper hand the majority of the session on Saturday night at Jordan-Hare Stadium, the play of the rebuilding linebacker corps was one of the reasons that happened. After the session Auburn’s head coach, Bryan Harsin, said the performance of that group got his attention.

The big play on defense was set up junior linebacker Wesley Steiner, who blitzed through the A-gap and crashed into quarterback Robby Ashford as he was trying to make a handoff in the red zone. Safety Craig McDonald scooped up the fumble and ran 95 yards for a score on what Harsin said was a “great play” by the defense.

Earlier in the week Auburn’s new linebacker coach, Christian Robinson, had good things to say about Steiner’s progress. Harsin had praise for Steiner on Saturday night. "People haven't asked much about him, he's a guy that's really coming on," Harsin said. "I think he's having a great training camp and has made quite a few plays. He's just getting better and better."

With the Tigers replacing last year’s top two tacklers (2021 seniors Zakoby McClain and Chandler Wooten), who are both linebackers, the opportunity is there for Steiner to take a bigger role in the defense.

Robinson noted that his linebackers were looking forward to the scrimmage and the opportunity to play physical football and make big hits on everybody other than the quarterbacks, who are off limits regarding the rough stuff.

“Steiner has really stood out,” Harsin said. “I think Cam Riley is starting to really come into his own as far as being a long, athletic, physical guy that knows what he is doing. Those three guys, Owen (Pappoe) included, are students of the game.

“Eugene Asante missed a lot of spring when his father passed away so he is catching up now,” Harsin said of the junior transfer from North Carolina. “I think he is going to be a really good player for us.

“Robert Woodyard, tonight, he made some plays,” Harsin said about the newcomer from Williamson High in Mobile. “On one he kind of got pushed back and you think he is going to react like a freshman and all of that.

“The very next play he ripped through whoever was trying to block him and made the tackle. He got upset and it was like he found the play. You could see that guy really turn it on and I think that is part of Christian Robinson’s mentality in that group. Those guys are going to know what to do and then they are going play physical.

“I have really been impressed with our linebackers,” the coach added. “(Desmond) Tisdol, all of these guys that played for us a little bit last year are showing up to be guys who will help us whether it is at linebacker or special teams. They are going to be out there doing something. I think that group has kind of elevated the whole standard of that room to what they want to accomplish each and every practice.”

A big plus for the group is the return to action of Pappoe, who is expected to be one of the top defenders in the SEC. A standout as a freshman and sophomore, he was voted a team captain in 2021, but was very limited due to injury. He was still getting well and missed spring training this year, but was in the middle of the action on Saturday night.

“Getting Owen back from the spring was huge in terms of leadership, in terms of how he makes other people feel when he is out there with them,” said Robinson, who joined the staff in January after spending four seasons coaching linebackers for the Florida Gators. Pappoe watched spring drills, but didn’t participate while trying to get healthy, which has happened.

“I am very proud of him and the strides that he has taken to come back into being conditioned and ready to perform so he has done an awesome job with that,” Robinson added.

10COMMENTS

The Tigers, who will open the season at home on Sept. 3rd vs. Mercer, are scheduled to have their second major scrimmage of the preseason on Friday.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, toddc said:

For me, this might be the biggest takeaway after Saturday’s scrimmage.

I thought the same thing 

• Like 1

Just now, bigbird said:

I thought the same thing 

Great minds and all…

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I was looking for this. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Really Todd?? 

You are probably, maybe, in that group. 😝 

2 hours ago, toddc said:
4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Really Todd?? 

You are probably, maybe, in that group. 😝 

Really Todd 🤨?

• Haha 2

In the Harsin interview the whole Defense apparently looked good. He talked about how well LB's did, how well DB's did and how well D-Line did.  To me what some of the key things was when he was talking about D-Line in addition to our known studs he mentioned some of the Portal players as looking good.  I knew we had a really good starting D-Line but depth was the big issue if what I head from Harsin it is not as big an issue as I thought it might be.

Todd already talked about the LB's but again between scrimmage and practice players Steiner and Riley have really stepped up to play with Pappoe and I have heard good things about Asante the transfer and Tisdol also. Plus the two Freshman Gordon and Woodyard.  

The downer is the O-Line while Harsin tried to give them benefit of the doubt they were not there yet. Hopefully some of that is because of how good defense is. 

I expect that by Monday after the Friday scrimmage we will have our QB1 decision and we will be locked in on 1st tean and second team.   

• Like 1