All Things Fall Camp Thread

toddc

I saw where Calzada had a great practice Tuesday. Who knows? I still think will be TJ.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

20 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Again TJ was far from healthy. Had he been able to stand there and have 3-4 seconds to throw it would have been a different story but as we all know that was not the case.

He ain't gonna have 3 or 4 seconds to throw this year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Yesterday it was expected TJ would be announced. He was not. Calzada is making headway

I have a hard time believing that Calzada is the reason they haven’t announced TJ. What are they going to hand it to Calzada or Gernier because they had a good practice, when TJ has been firmly in the lead all fall camp. I bet they are just not announcing because it’s a distraction.

• Like 2

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I have a hard time believing that Calzada is the reason they haven’t announced TJ. What are they going to hand it to Calzada or Gernier because they had a good practice, when TJ has been firmly in the lead all fall camp. I bet they are just not announcing because it’s a distraction.

I dont think they give it to him, but I think Calzada gave them a reason to hold off on announcing it. Finley will start vs Mercer and likely SJSU and maybe even PSU, but if calzada keeps having good days he’ll be waiting for an opportunity should the Offense stall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SMITTY4AU said:

I was expecting TJ to be announced too.  Could it be that after Sunday's practice that Holden has given them something to think about?  

Not Holden. Possibly Robby.  Holden is certified to redshirt barring multiple injuries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Yesterday it was expected TJ would be announced. He was not. Robby is making headway

FTFY.  Calzada is 3rd on the depth chart.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He ain't gonna have 3 or 4 seconds to throw this year

2.5 seconds is what the Oline gave our guys last year. should be about the same this year or a little better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

2.5 seconds is what the Oline gave our guys last year. should be about the same this year or a little better.

Barring injuries I do expect a significant improvement here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Didba said:

I also expect crisper routes ran by the WRs (Hilliard effect) and more options for throwing to RBs. Those things will help our QB as well. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Didba said:

FTFY.  Calzada is 3rd on the depth chart.

Not officially,  only based on limited viewing of certain media members or certain AU letterman who are allowed to watch practice

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Not officially,  only based on limited viewing of certain media members or certain AU letterman who are allowed to watch practice

True. Thanks for pointing this out. I forget we only see snippets of practice but the reporters write their reports like they watched the whole thing. 

Edited by Didba

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The conspiracy theory in me thinks there is a reason Finley hasnt been announced yet.... as in the coaching staff really wants it to be Calzada

A few years ago bammer had a qb battle between a highly touted white guy and a black guy. They refused to announce qb1. Even though it seemed clear. On opening day the black guy started. Hope this is not that.

• Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The conspiracy theory in me thinks there is a reason Finley hasnt been announced yet.... as in the coaching staff really wants it to be Calzada

Looks like he’s in third.

5 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

A few years ago bammer had a qb battle between a highly touted white guy and a black guy. They refused to announce qb1. Even though it seemed clear. On opening day the black guy started. Hope this is not that.

whatre-you-talking-about-red.gif

• Haha 2

Really don't feel this staff would play games like not announcing a starter because they want this other to start.  To me they seem like a staff that doesn't care who it is if that person is the best to lead our team. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Everyone has opinion on this and here is mine. No conspiracy, just that none of the candidates have performed to the level of winning SEC football as of yet. While some may be doing better than others, the coaches are waiting as long as they can to see if any of the candidates can take those next steps to SEC level QB.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Everyone has opinion on this and here is mine. No conspiracy, just that none of the candidates have performed to the level of winning SEC football as of yet. While some may be doing better than others, the coaches are waiting as long as they can to see if any of the candidates can take those next steps to SEC level QB.

Possibly.  But most all the people in " the know " beat writers etc all say its Finleys job. And it may well be... even reading between the lines of what Harsin has said supports this. But the fact remains , Finley still hasn't been named starter, which would support your theory

8 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Why would any Auburn fan bring something like this up?  smh 🤦‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Really don't feel this staff would play games like not announcing a starter because they want this other to start.  To me they seem like a staff that doesn't care who it is if that person is the best to lead our team. 

Not necessarily playing games, just seems odd that most all the pundits seem to think it's Finley..But as I pointed out earlier,  the media sees a small window of practice time. They base their opinion off that. They don't know what is going on the other 2 hrs at practice. Some AU letterman may see more at practice and have a better opinion.  So, is this QB race really already decided as the beat writers feel? Don't know.  Just seems to me if it's clear cut gonna be  Finley, then name him the starter and move forward. 

• Like 1

SIAP but harsin discussed his grading system this year and how it mimics how NFL teams grade their players. Theyre only graded during 7v7 and scrimmages (obv coaches are constantly judging the players). Most of the media window has been for warmups and vs air. I do think Finley is the starter, I also think Harsin is pushing Finley/Ashford/Calzada all the way to the end. Calzada has consistently been with the 3s during media viewing. 

All that said- I think Finley is named starter, but Calzada is going to get a chance to run the offense (so will ashford)

ashford has shown a lot of athleticism, but hasnt shown great accuracy. We all know from Nick Marshall that you just have to hit a few to be successful with that. 

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

I'm afraid you're correct. I've been getting a bad feeling on how that position battle is shaking out and that no one has taken the job from the other two.

39 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

ashford has shown a lot of athleticism, but hasnt shown great accuracy. We all know from Nick Marshall that you just have to hit a few to be successful with that. 

That was true with Marshall in large part because the offense he was running was designed for that.. Does that hold true with Harsin's offense? I wouldn't think so, but maybe we'll see.

• Like 1

How Auburn's 10 transfers fared in preseason camp

ByNATHAN KING 3 hours ago

Share0 Comments

Bryan Harsin clearly values the transfer portal for his roster-building — at least early on with the Tigers — as he and his staff have added 19 non-JUCO transfers in their first two offseasons.

This year, Auburn welcomed 10 transfer additions — half in the spring, half in the summer enrollment period. All of them participated in preseason camp, which wrapped up on the Plains on Sunday.

After the conclusion of camp, with Auburn now gearing up for Mercer preparation, here's how its 10 transfers have fared and where they likely stand in terms of depth chart and playing time.

S CRAIG MCDONALD (IOWA STATE)

2021 stats: 41 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, 2 INTs, 1 PBU

McDonald quickly overcame an ankle injury he sustained toward the end of last season at Iowa State. The big-bodied safety — at 6-foot-2 and 204 pounds — had a big play in the first fall scrimmage, scooping up a fumble caused by Wesley Steiner near the end zone and running it back 90-plus yards for a touchdown. As solid as McDonald has been, redshirt sophomore Cayden Bridges appears to have the edge at the starting safety spot opposite Zion Puckett, so McDonald will likely enter the season as Auburn's No. 3 safety — a role that still has lent itself to plenty of production for those who have held it over the past few seasons.

What they said: "Craig McDonald, I feel like he's brought a lot of experience, because he's been in college two or three years. I feel like having him will help us with the depth a lot." — Puckett

CB D.J. JAMES (OREGON)

2021 stats: 46 tackles, 2 INTs, 5 PBUs

An 11-game starter at cornerback for the Ducks last season, James was here in the spring, but his coaches admitted he needed to progress a bit faster when fall camp rolled around. It appears the Spanish Fort, Alabama, native did just that. A couple days before the end of camp, defensive coordinator Jeff Schmeddingmentioned James as the top player behind the Tigers' main cornerback duo of Jaylin Simpsonand Nehemiah Pritchett. James, JUCO addition Keionte Scott and redshirt freshman A.D. Diamond will likely round out the main cornerback rotation.

What they said: "(He's) obviously made tremendous strides from Day 1 to Day 2 to Day 3, continues to improve. He's getting used to the style of play in the SEC and how fast it is." — Zac Etheridge

LB EUGENE ASANTE (NORTH CAROLINA)

2021 stats: 23 tackles, 1 PBU

Asante missed a chunk of spring practices after the passing of his father, but linebackers coach Christian Robinson in particular complimented his ability to recover within the scheme this preseason. He's smaller and quicker than most players in the room, and he seems to have settled in at the second rotation of 'backers behind the likes of Owen Pappoe, Cam Rileyand Wesley Steiner.

What they said: "He's real explosive, man. He's just about as fast as me, if I'm being honest. He plays with a lot of energy — always running around and hitting stuff, jumping around, being excited, celebrating. He kind of reminds me of Zakoby (McClain) in that sense." — Pappoe

EDGE MARCUS BRAGG (WESTERN KENTUCKY)

2021 stats: 27 tackles, 4.5 TFLs, 4 sacks

A big pickup to round out depth in what was a thin edge room in the spring, Bragg played the past three seasons at WKU, recording 4.5 tackles for loss and four sacks. He made his presence felt rather quickly in Auburn’s preseason camp, snatching a scoop-and-score while receiving some first-team work during the first week of practices. Clocking in at 6-foot-5 and 262 pounds, Bragg has also seen time in practice working with Jimmy Brumbaugh’s defensive line unit, at least during individual drills.

What they said: “He's a really smart player, works hard. And it adds another veteran to the room. So it helps just bring that IQ up." — Eku Leota

DT MORRIS JOSEPH (MEMPHIS)

2021 stats: 38 tackles, 4.5 TFLs, 1.5 sacks 

One of the more effective performers on the defensive front this preseason, Joseph may have locked up a spot on the two-deep thanks to his experience and skill set. At 6-foot-2 and 282 pounds, he mainly works behind Colby Wooden along the defensive front, but his feed allows him to bounce outside, too. Overall, Joseph appears to have been a nice pickup for Auburn's defensive staff — one who can help immediately in 2022.

What they said: “Morris has the ability to play a few different spots for us. He is quick enough to be on the edge. He uses his hands really well and he is a good athlete so what makes him unique is his skill set allows us to be a little more versatile with him.” — Schmedding

DT JAYSON JONES (OREGON)

2021 stats: 19 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, 1.5 sacks

A spring arrival, Jones entered a starting competition at nose tackle to replace Tony Fairfrom last season. His primary competitor was former JUCO product Marquis Burks, and Jones emerged from the spring as the starter — so he simply added to that lead this preseason. He's a monstrous athlete who's skills have been compared by teammates to those of Derrick Brown.

What they said: "When you’re like 6-6, 330 pounds playing nose guard — I mean, plugging holes in the run game, that’s what you do. He’s a big body you have to move. You have to get leverage and get up under him. He has a good camp so far. He’s been effective.” — Brandon Council

WR KOY MOORE (LSU)

2021 stats: 5 receptions, 71 yards

While Moore wasn’t exactly the flashiest offensive addition in the portal, his SEC experience has served him well. He had a touchdown in Auburn’s first scrimmage of camp, and was usually one of the Tigers’ more consistent pass-catchers in practice. After two seasons at LSU, Moore seems to have carved out a role in the main rotation out wide, and his positional versatility at 6-foot, 192 pounds could allow him to see the field even more often.

What they said: "I feel like you could put him anywhere. You could put him from slot to outside and he’s going to be very good.” — Ja'Varrius Johnson

WR DAZALIN WORSHAM (MIAMI)

2021 stats: N/A

After two separate hip injuries at Miami, Worsham primarily serves to add depth for Auburn this season. But he does have potential, as shown by his high-school production at Hewitt-Trussville, where he finished in the top 10 for receptions in Alabama history. This week, Worsham was designated to the scout team, so it could be a while before he sees the field at Auburn.

What they said: "He's experiencing kind of this program and the unique pace that I was talking about ... so hopefully he settles in soon, but he's an easy mover; the kid can run. He's a little bit stronger than I thought he was." — Ike Hilliard

QB ROBBY ASHFORD (OREGON)

2021 stats: N/A

As hyped as T.J. Finley's improvements at quarterback have been this offseason, Ashford has also taken a big leap forward since the spring. His coaches admitted that he was mostly playing with instincts in spring practices — in his first couple months on campus. But now, a better understanding of the playbook has allowed Ashford to more confidently run the offense, and focus on improving as a passer. While Finley was heralded as the top QB in Auburn's first scrimmage, Ashford was highly efficient in the second scrimmage, and his overall body of work in camp has allowed him to continue to split first-team reps with Finley just over a week before the season.

What they said: "He's doing a better job maturing in the position. He's really athletic. He can really run. But he's starting to play the quarterback position, which is important." — Eric Kiesau

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

SIAP but harsin discussed his grading system this year and how it mimics how NFL teams grade their players. Theyre only graded during 7v7 and scrimmages (obv coaches are constantly judging the players). Most of the media window has been for warmups and vs air. I do think Finley is the starter, I also think Harsin is pushing Finley/Ashford/Calzada all the way to the end. Calzada has consistently been with the 3s during media viewing. 

All that said- I think Finley is named starter, but Calzada is going to get a chance to run the offense (so will ashford)

I dont think it will be decided till the week of Penn St game. I mean, we could trot Mikey out there to play QB the first 2 games and win easily. I think all 3 will play those first 2 games and that will go a long way to determine the starter for the rest of the year.

Edited by NWALA Tiger