All Things Fall Camp Thread

toddc

• Like 3

No wrap? Basting instead of a beer/vinegar spray? Turning every 30 minutes? No post oak, hickory or pecan? 

All good questions... I got started a little earlier... No crutch (aka wrap) for me.  I don't like them to become mush...  I had an apple tree die, and I cut it up in chunks...  Otherwise, I would use hickory.   They are looking good.  I wish you and Golf (and Big Bird) were here...  

• Love 2

All good questions... I got started a little earlier... No crutch (aka wrap) for me.  I don't like them to become mush...  I had an apple tree die, and I cut it up in chunks...  Otherwise, I would use hickory.   They are looking good.  I wish you and Golf (and Big Bird) were here...  

I too, don’t like mush from a foil crutch. A buddy recommended using butcher paper to crutch it and it works much better then foil, IMO. The butcher paper allows for air flow to still occur and doesn’t straight lock in all moisture which causes the bark to mush up. I swear by butcher paper crutches now. 

also nice on the apple wood. Down here in Texas I can only get pecan, mesquite, hickory or post oak logs at the local grocer. My offset smoker chews through wood. Screw mesquite though. 

• Like 1

They are looking good.  I wish you and Golf (and Big Bird) were here...  

Send the directions ...

• Love 1

Send the directions ...

Better yet send the meat to us! 😝 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Or even worse... a PIKE

Could be but I was at Auburn probably before you were even born...frats I'm sure do change 

You were at Auburn even before that boy's DAD was born. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I too, don’t like mush from a foil crutch. A buddy recommended using butcher paper to crutch it and it works much better then foil, IMO. The butcher paper allows for air flow to still occur and doesn’t straight lock in all moisture which causes the bark to mush up. I swear by butcher paper crutches now. 

also nice on the apple wood. Down here in Texas I can only get pecan, mesquite, hickory or post oak logs at the local grocer. My offset smoker chews through wood. Screw mesquite though. 

100% on butcher paper.  A duck guide in Arkansas introduced me to butts in a grocery bag -- the paper ones-- about 10 years ago.  Same concept.  After 3 hours of smoke, put the butt in the grocery bag, fat side up.   Smoke for another 9 hours or so.  The grocery bag will be black and you peel it off.   The butt is money.....   

• Like 1

I’ve always used olive oil instead of mustard…no foil or flipping and do 2 rounds of bbq sauce. Once an hour before I pull and again about 20 mins before I pull. Smoke at 185 for an hour then 225 next 2-3 and comes out perfect 

• Love 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

Just a few notes you may have missed or overlooked from the first few days of fall camp…

** Freshman wide receiver Camden Brown was with the veteran group on Saturday after going with the newcomers Friday. That’s a quick promotion for Brown and is a good indication of his ability and more importantly, the work he’s put in learning the offense and being ready for the start of camp.

** JD Rhym is already getting reps with the first-team defense at both cornerback and nickel. Auburn has recruited this position extremely well and Zac Etheridge is continuing the tradition with the players he’s brought in including Rhym. The secondary is one of AU's strongest position groups and Rhym should be a huge part of the playing rotation.

** Several players have already been singled out by coaches and/or players without being prompted including wide receiver Tar’Varish Dawson, linebacker Cam Riley, noseguard Jayson Jones and nickel Donovan Kaufman.

Dawson is on track to be a key part of the offense and will likely work at one of the slot positions along with Ja’Varrius Johnson. Riley is competing with Wesley Steiner and several others for the linebacker position opposite Owen Pappoe and should be a key contributor on defense and special teams.

Jones is a real space-eater in the middle of the defense and will help give a lot on 1-on-1 matchups to key players like Colby Wooden, Marcus Harris and Derick Hall. Kaufman has had a great offseason and is becoming a key leader on that side of the ball.

** Jeremiah Wright is a full-time defensive lineman competing with Jones and Marquis Burks at noseguard. I still don’t think a lot of people recognize how talented and deep Auburn is along the defensive line. It might be the best position unit on the team.

** Landen King is a full-time receiver and should be a big part of the offense this season. He’s listed 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds on AU’s roster, and should be a tough physical matchup for a cornerback or nickel.

BMatt’s Monday musings

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Like 2

A 'more assertive' Robby Ashford looks to shake up Auburn QB race

19 minutes ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

Coming In Hot: Auburn Running Backs Drill

AUBURN, Alabama — In spring exit evaluations, Bryan Harsin left all four of Auburn’s scholarship quarterbacks with a “blueprint” for what he wanted to see improved — some small, some more significant — for the start of fall camp in early August.

Well, early August is here, and Robby Ashford must be doing something right by the coaching staff.

Up on several videoboards in the athletic complex Tuesday is the team’s players of the day from Sunday — which was Auburn’s most recent practice, after taking an off day Monday. Ashford, who hopes to remain a fixture in the QB competition like he was in the spring, was listed as the offensive player of the day.

“I think it’s his decision-making,” Harsin said Tuesday, after Auburn’s fourth practice of fall camp. “That’s the one thing. For Robby, he’s a weapon, too, when he takes off and runs. … He’s a force when he does it, so just decision-making, right? If everybody’s covered, he’s going to have a chance to go out there and make a play with his feet — but I also think he’s throwing the ball better, his decision-making in the pass game. I thought he had a couple throws the other day that were really special, that he put into some windows with some accuracy.”

Auburn's shaky quarterback situation in the spring allowed Ashford to elevate his status with his new program in no time. With Texas A&M transfer Zach Calzada heavily limited while recovering from a shoulder injury, Ashford commanded second-team reps throughout spring ball.

Immediately following the conclusion of spring practices, Ashford might have carried the most buzz of any signal-caller in the room. He was named Auburn's offensive MVP at the spring game after outshining first-team QB T.J. Finley, completing 12-of-16 passes for 132 yards, plus a handful of scrambles that were quickly whistled down because of his non-contact jersey, but would have gone for big chunks of yardage in a real game.

“He’s a super great athlete,” tight end John Samuel Shenker said in the spring. “That’s part of this thing. When he’s not live, it’s tough to see how athletic he can be.”

Auburn is still sifting through the early stages of a four-man quarterback race, if one is to include true freshman Holden Gerineras a contender, and the reps have been shared evenly — as they will be for the next week or so, until real separation starts to be created in the second scrimmage. Harsin said Tuesday that’s when the coaching staff will look for loose lineups and rotations at each position group — and, obviously, things will continue to tighten up as the season draws closer.

Returnee T.J. Finley is still the first quarterback up in drills, followed by Calzada, Ashford and Geriner. A former four-star recruit — and a dual-sport athlete at Oregon, playing baseball and football — the 6-foot-3 Ashford will get a chance to make plays with his legs in the team’s first scrimmage Saturday. But even through the first few days of camp, the Tigers have noticed an improved confidence level from the transfer.

"Definitely more assertive," tight end Luke Deal said. “... Taking a lot of ownership He really is. He's maturing a lot in that standpoint. Obviously, you can't help but see the speed. I wish I had some of that. He could afford to gimme some if he wanted to.”

Ashford never took a snap in two seasons at Oregon, and he transferred out of a crowded QB room in January. Whereas Harsin expressed that Ashford may have wanted to get ahead of himself in the spring in terms of comfort and understanding of the offense, a full offseason with his teammates has now allowed for a stronger start in the preseason.

“Just his command of the offense, too — calling plays, making checks, audibles, all those things,” Harsin said. “He’s got a better feel for those things right now.”

During the media viewing period Tuesday, which spanned approximately 25 minutes, the quarterbacks did struggle in terms of timing with receivers on slant patterns. Finley was likely the most accurate of the group. Of course, that only reflects a small portion of practice, but Harsin still acknowledged some of the missed throws and drops.

“I like where the receivers are, as far as just the work,” Harsin said. “We’ve got a ways to go. We’ve got to catch the ball. You guys saw that today.”

Auburn’s first scrimmage is set for Saturday evening inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

A 'more assertive' Robby Ashford looks to shake up Auburn QB race

19 minutes ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

AUBURN, Alabama — In spring exit evaluations, Bryan Harsin left all four of Auburn’s scholarship quarterbacks with a “blueprint” for what he wanted to see improved — some small, some more significant — for the start of fall camp in early August.

Well, early August is here, and Robby Ashford must be doing something right by the coaching staff.

Up on several videoboards in the athletic complex Tuesday is the team’s players of the day from Sunday — which was Auburn’s most recent practice, after taking an off day Monday. Ashford, who hopes to remain a fixture in the QB competition like he was in the spring, was listed as the offensive player of the day.

“I think it’s his decision-making,” Harsin said Tuesday, after Auburn’s fourth practice of fall camp. “That’s the one thing. For Robby, he’s a weapon, too, when he takes off and runs. … He’s a force when he does it, so just decision-making, right? If everybody’s covered, he’s going to have a chance to go out there and make a play with his feet — but I also think he’s throwing the ball better, his decision-making in the pass game. I thought he had a couple throws the other day that were really special, that he put into some windows with some accuracy.”

Auburn's shaky quarterback situation in the spring allowed Ashford to elevate his status with his new program in no time. With Texas A&M transfer Zach Calzada heavily limited while recovering from a shoulder injury, Ashford commanded second-team reps throughout spring ball.

Immediately following the conclusion of spring practices, Ashford might have carried the most buzz of any signal-caller in the room. He was named Auburn's offensive MVP at the spring game after outshining first-team QB T.J. Finley, completing 12-of-16 passes for 132 yards, plus a handful of scrambles that were quickly whistled down because of his non-contact jersey, but would have gone for big chunks of yardage in a real game.

“He’s a super great athlete,” tight end John Samuel Shenker said in the spring. “That’s part of this thing. When he’s not live, it’s tough to see how athletic he can be.”

Auburn is still sifting through the early stages of a four-man quarterback race, if one is to include true freshman Holden Gerineras a contender, and the reps have been shared evenly — as they will be for the next week or so, until real separation starts to be created in the second scrimmage. Harsin said Tuesday that’s when the coaching staff will look for loose lineups and rotations at each position group — and, obviously, things will continue to tighten up as the season draws closer.

Returnee T.J. Finley is still the first quarterback up in drills, followed by Calzada, Ashford and Geriner. A former four-star recruit — and a dual-sport athlete at Oregon, playing baseball and football — the 6-foot-3 Ashford will get a chance to make plays with his legs in the team’s first scrimmage Saturday. But even through the first few days of camp, the Tigers have noticed an improved confidence level from the transfer.

"Definitely more assertive," tight end Luke Deal said. “... Taking a lot of ownership He really is. He's maturing a lot in that standpoint. Obviously, you can't help but see the speed. I wish I had some of that. He could afford to gimme some if he wanted to.”

Ashford never took a snap in two seasons at Oregon, and he transferred out of a crowded QB room in January. Whereas Harsin expressed that Ashford may have wanted to get ahead of himself in the spring in terms of comfort and understanding of the offense, a full offseason with his teammates has now allowed for a stronger start in the preseason.

“Just his command of the offense, too — calling plays, making checks, audibles, all those things,” Harsin said. “He’s got a better feel for those things right now.”

During the media viewing period Tuesday, which spanned approximately 25 minutes, the quarterbacks did struggle in terms of timing with receivers on slant patterns. Finley was likely the most accurate of the group. Of course, that only reflects a small portion of practice, but Harsin still acknowledged some of the missed throws and drops.

“I like where the receivers are, as far as just the work,” Harsin said. “We’ve got a ways to go. We’ve got to catch the ball. You guys saw that today.”

Auburn’s first scrimmage is set for Saturday evening inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

I'm biased towards quarterbacks with running ability so part of me is hoping Ashford really takes the reigns here although I know he's not quite the favorite in the QB race

• Like 2

As long as Ashford doesn't go rogue with the running like nix did.  I trust whoever Harsin picks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Harsin sees progress from Calzada and other quarterbacks

AUBURN, Alabama–After spending most of spring training watching his new teammates handle the quarterback duties while healing from surgery, this is a very important stretch of football practices for Zach Calzada as he tries to impress his new head coach and teammates.

Following Tuesday’s workout Bryan Harsin noted that the transfer from Texas A&M is making progress. “I don’t think he has got any rust,” the coach said. “It is camp so you are seeing a lot of different looks from the defense. I think all of the quarterbacks have had their really good moments, and some where they need to really learn from it.

“I think he has done well,” Harsin said after Tuesday’s practice. “Today was a good day for him. His footwork was good and he threw the ball well.

“Like everybody else, he had a sense of urgency on the field. That is where our quarterbacks, each and every day, have to show up and have great days because if they don’t the rest of us really feel that.

“There are really no days off for those quarterbacks,” Harsin pointed out. “Today was one of our more consistent days from the QBs. It was still not what it needs to be, but it was more consistent than what it has been from all of those guys.

“Even Holden (true freshman Holden Geriner) is beginning to show flashes of understanding what we are doing. He is changing a few things mechanically so he is just a little bit better in those areas. All of those guys I think have done a really good job of applying what Coach (Eric) Kiesau is asking them to do.

“We have got more time,” Harsin added. “It is not a finished product right now. For everybody, we all want to know (who the No. 1 quarterback is), but coaching that position, doing this for a few years now, we know that we have time to keep building through things.

“You have just got to stick with one thing for a while until they get it and then move onto the next because you don’t want to throw five or six things at a quarterback because yo are not really mastering anything. You have got to master something.”

With the Tigers replacing three-year starter Bo Nix, junior T.J. Finley, who finished the 2021 season atop the depth chart after Nix was injured, looks to be Calzada’s major competition.

In addition to Calzada, who is a transfer from Texas A&M, the Tigers are looking at Robby Ashford, the spring game Most Valuable Player who is a redshirt sophomore transfer from the University of Oregon. Ashford did not play for the Ducks, but Calzada was in the middle of the action at Texas A&M in 2021. He suffered an injury to his non-throwing shoulder when Auburn played at Texas A&M and he was still recovering from surgery during spring practice this year at Auburn.

Calzada completed 184-327 passes for 2,185 yards and 17 touchdowns while starting 10 games for the 2021 Aggies. He was SEC Offensive Player of the Week after hitting 21-31 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns in a victory over Alabama.

“Today was pretty good,” Harsin. “I thought T.J. had a good day. Zach stepped up in some areas. All those guys did some good things. I think every one of those quarterbacks have been player of the day at some point. Those guys are still competing, they’re all getting somewhat equal reps. I like where Robby’s progressing right now.”

Saturday should be a very important day for Calzada and the other quarterbacks with the Tigers having their initial scrimmage of preseason drills.

“We have been doing it every day,” Harsin said of the coaching staff making evaluations of what the depth chart should look like not just at quarterback, but at all spots. “We will find out after the scrimmage where we are.”

Love seeing the 12 on an Auburn QB. Burger, Cox, now Geriner.

• Like 1