All Things Fall Camp Thread

toddc

15 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In the Harsin interview the whole Defense apparently looked good. He talked about how well LB's did, how well DB's did and how well D-Line did.  To me what some of the key things was when he was talking about D-Line in addition to our known studs he mentioned some of the Portal players as looking good.  I knew we had a really good starting D-Line but depth was the big issue if what I head from Harsin it is not as big an issue as I thought it might be.

Todd already talked about the LB's but again between scrimmage and practice players Steiner and Riley have really stepped up to play with Pappoe and I have heard good things about Asante the transfer and Tisdol also. Plus the two Freshman Gordon and Woodyard.  

The downer is the O-Line while Harsin tried to give them benefit of the doubt they were not there yet. Hopefully some of that is because of how good defense is. 

I expect that by Monday after the Friday scrimmage we will have our QB1 decision and we will be locked in on 1st tean and second team.   

The best compliment he gave the OL was “they didn’t let up too many negative plays” that don’t sound too good 

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

The best compliment he gave the OL was “they didn’t let up too many negative plays” that don’t sound too good 

HOPEFULLY, the old Proverb "Iron sharpens Iron" comes into play. I think the coaches are doing a lot of mixing and matching during the early stages of camp, which isn't good for continuity.

He’s gonna be fun to watch!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 4

Finley was the better qb during media viewing window! In fairness to Ashford there were several drops but he’s still not getting touch on certain throws.

Edited by toddc

Interested to see y'alls opinions on who looks the best here. Keep in mind this is the video of the full session I believe. 

• Like 1

I’m not going to make a true judgement on our QBs until after the Penn St game. Whoever plays early, bad performances vs Mercer and SJSU will be a precursor to a very long season. Good performances against them, and it’s still Mercer and SJSU. 

16 minutes ago, au302 said:

Interested to see y'alls opinions on who looks the best here. Keep in mind this is the video of the full session I believe. 

Ashford has a hitch in his throw. Everything is telegraphed and won’t stand a chance against elite secondary

calzada looks good when his feet are set. Reminds me of Bo this time last year

TJ throws a nice ball and gets rid of it quick. Having the long frame certainly helps but how will he do with a defender in his face. 
That being said TJ is your starter. He gutted it out last year and let’s face it if healthy we beat bama last year. Keeping him upright will be key but good news is I think we’re better upfront, at RB and WR than a year ago so time will tell.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, au302 said:

Oof Ashford ... 

Finley looking on point.  Whoever can handle the lights or kick it up a beat when they come on.  

Calzada didn't look bad at all...but Finley dropping dimes.  Today....in practice.   All things with a grain of salt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Ashford has a hitch in his throw. Everything is telegraphed and won’t stand a chance against elite secondary

calzada looks good when his feet are set. Reminds me of Bo this time last year

TJ throws a nice ball and gets rid of it quick. Having the long frame certainly helps but how will he do with a defender in his face. 
That being said TJ is your starter. He gutted it out last year and let’s face it if healthy we beat bama last year. Keeping him upright will be key but good news is I think we’re better upfront, at RB and WR than a year ago so time will tell.

No analyst here, but I recall Finley standing in there during the rush, knowing he was going to get hit, trying to go through a progression. If the routes unfold as anticipated, he seems to have a fast release. He has arm to get it downfield as far as needed. With receivers smothered, It looked a little weird. But he never looked panicked. Either he was committed to doing the opposite of Nix, wanted to demonstrate faith in the line, knew he could handle the hit, was too stupid to do otherwise, or all of the above. If he knows the offense this year and most are on the same page, I think he will do just fine. Believe he will have targets of velcro this year. Just need to iron out the short game. It’s the unpopular call, but I think TJ is going to own the position and any losses will not be on his shoulders. Mark my words. 

Edited by AUx
edited out the PBR (sorry Golf)
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Check out the aggressive offensive line we now have! Me likes alot! 

@2:52, there are so many conversations like that on the sidelines

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

Oof Ashford ... 

Finley looking on point.  Whoever can handle the lights or kick it up a beat when they come on.  

Calzada didn't look bad at all...but Finley dropping dimes.  Today....in practice.   All things with a grain of salt.  

I thought both were on point, but what I took away from it was that Calzada's footwork looked better than other videos. But I'm the least qualified to say that. Just looked "quieter" I guess. He was hitting guys in stride. Something I have not seen him do in videos from the past two weeks.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Finley was the better qb during media viewing window! In fairness to Ashford there were several drops but he’s still not getting touch on certain throws.

Hoke said Calzada looked the best day today. 

Edited by God Cam It
  • Like 1

Hard to get too much from this, but I think Finley and Calzada both looked pretty good today in the video.

I believe that by the next scrimmage it is between TJ and Calzada. Word is that Calzada has been struggling some on the mental aspect of things and it is up to him to buckle it down this week and shine if he is going to be the starter game 1. With that said, It wouldn't shock me if TJ starts. I have to say I am loving most of what I am hearing about the young man in camp and I fully expected ZC to win this battle. 

I think ZC makes it close this next week and this might go into the first game or 2 before we truly know who will strap it up for PSU and on. I could be wrong, obviously lol.

I honestly love that is has come to this because as I mentioned above..I expected ZC to come in and win it within the first few practices. This tells me a few things:

1- Our staff is having a true competition.

2- Competition breeds success. We will only be better because of this. 

3- We will have a solid backup should QB1 go down. 

I am ready to get behind whoever wins and whip some @$$! I think we have top 4 SEC Defense this year on the caveat that one of Reilly or Steiner take the next step and I think we are better at RB,WR and OL as well. War Damn Eagle.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

Never seen a guy moved around and wasted like J. Wright!

Tristan Davis

• Sad 2

Thought on Finley:

Poor OL and Poor WR last year.

Kid has a cannon...from what I see in the fall, he's hitting his guys.  2nd year under a QB developer.  I'm good with Finley...honestly, I think I'd start to feel uneasy if anyone else took the reigns at this point.  The more Finley is mentioned or hinted at as the leader, the more we should all get excited for his development.

If he's the starter and healthy, I don't see any reason he can't pass for 2500 minimum.

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Thought on Finley:

Poor OL and Poor WR last year.

Kid has a cannon...from what I see in the fall, he's hitting his guys.  2nd year under a QB developer.  I'm good with Finley...honestly, I think I'd start to feel uneasy if anyone else took the reigns at this point.  The more Finley is mentioned or hinted at as the leader, the more we should all get excited for his development.

If he's the starter and healthy, I don't see any reason he can't pass for 2500 minimum.

People get too caught up in their biases to accept that players improve.  Playbook knowledge and execution along with extra time in service makes a big difference in this competition.  TJ may not be the best passer, but he could very well be the best QB for this team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

People get too caught up in their biases to accept that players improve.  Playbook knowledge and execution along with extra time in service makes a big difference in this competition.  TJ may not be the best passer, but he could very well be the best QB for this team.

To be fair to them and their anxiety...when was the last time we had a QB actually develop and get better?  Saw flashes from Bo, but he just couldn't let go of his scramble game.  Maybe the speed of the game won't be as fast in the Pac-12 for him.  I hope he starts and plays well...I can't help but be concerned for his mental health at least a little.

TJ's arm though is special...much like Bo, has the game slowed down a little?  Clearly he's done his part with the work etc. which he should absolutely be praised for.  We brought in two guys to replace him, and he's saying no...just like an Auburn man should.  I remember his tweet after Ashford's commit, and I was concerned he'd fold.  He did the opposite.

8 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

To be fair to them and their anxiety...when was the last time we had a QB actually develop and get better? 

Last year.

Bo looked night and day better before his injury and was playing the best ball of his career.  To me, there is no reason to assume that a similar trajectory isn't in the works for TJ.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2