All Things Fall Camp Thread

toddc

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Last year.

Bo looked night and day better before his injury and was playing the best ball of his career.  To me, there is no reason to assume that a similar trajectory isn't in the works for TJ.

Damn paper ankles. I’ve watched the play where he gets his ankle hurt 5-6 times. Softest contact I’ve seen someone break a bone on. 

/s on the paper ankles but the contact was soft. I still remember he winced when it happened. I turned to my wife and said he just got hurt. She didn’t believe me. Sure enough. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

People get too caught up in their biases to accept that players improve.  Playbook knowledge and execution along with extra time in service makes a big difference in this competition.  TJ may not be the best passer, but he could very well be the best QB for this team.

As long as you’ve been here you should know that Auburn players aren’t allowed to improved from year to year

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

People get too caught up in their biases to accept that players improve.  Playbook knowledge and execution along with extra time in service makes a big difference in this competition.  TJ may not be the best passer, but he could very well be the best QB for this team.

You’ve mentioned it before but Jason Campbell is the best example  (relatively) recently. Showed flashes for a couple of years then with the experience  (and the right coach and system) was an absolute machine as a senior; the dimes he dropped all game on UTk in the first game in 2004 left my jaw on the floor. If we had a line that I had confidence would give TJ a clean pocket and a decent run game I would feel just fine going in to the season. But, that’s the rub….. for the foreseeable future…

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, fredst said:

You’ve mentioned it before but Jason Campbell is the best example  (relatively) recently. Showed flashes for a couple of years then with the experience  (and the right coach and system) was an absolute machine as a senior; the dimes he dropped all game on UTk in the first game in 2004 left my jaw on the floor. If we had a line that I had confidence would give TJ a clean pocket and a decent run game I would feel just fine going in to the season. But, that’s the rub….. for the foreseeable future…

A couple of great recent non AU examples is Joe Burrow and Kellen Mond. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, fredst said:

Not saying it will happen but having an experienced oline could be a huge difference this year. They’re all bigger and shouldn’t have the dumb mental mistakes. Depth is the biggest issue but in college there’s plenty examples of what an experienced group can do versus raw talent

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

A couple of great recent non AU examples is Joe Burrow and Kellen Mond. 

Burrow especially. I remember thinking when LSU named him their starter:”LOL”. Well, we see how that turned out; beat us the first year then became the world beater and NFL draft first pick that everyone now knows 

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think that people, like myself, were so  used to seeing quarterbacks under Gus Malzahn never get better year over year that every AU fan assumes the worst. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think that people, like myself, were so  used to seeing quarterbacks under Gus Malzahn never get better year over year that every AU fan assumes the worst. 

Great point

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

It definitely became the norm. 

• Like 1

My issue with TJ is that he limits the offense. Anyone else remember how we ditched going under center with the QB when he took over last year? That hurt, and it's apparently because he simply doesn't have the skill set or mobility to do that. And Kiesau wants to go more pro. Saw that in the spring game.

No doubt TJ will improve, but I see this offense as a 12 personnel, downhill, play-action type that utilizes TE's and the Slot WR heavily in the pass game. Just don't feel like TJ's nearly as good of a fit for that as Calzada is. Jmo, and remember I'm an amateur fan so I may be sounding like an idiot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Burrow especially. I remember thinking when LSU named him their starter:”LOL”. Well, we see how that turned out; beat us the first year then became the world beater and NFL draft first pick that everyone now knows 

Great pro QB too. Ultimate team player.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, au302 said:

My issue with TJ is that he limits the offense. Anyone else remember how we ditched going under center with the QB when he took over last year? That hurt, and it's apparently because he simply doesn't have the skill set or mobility to do that. And Kiesau wants to go more pro. Saw that in the spring game.

No doubt TJ will improve, but I see this offense as a 12 personnel, downhill, play-action type that utilizes TE's and the Slot WR heavily in the pass game. Just don't feel like TJ's nearly as good of a fit for that as Calzada is. Jmo, and remember I'm an amateur fan so I may be sounding like an idiot.

No, you may be an idiot but you don’t sound like one.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 4:10 PM, toddc said:

Finley was the better qb during media viewing window! In fairness to Ashford there were several drops but he’s still not getting touch on certain throws.

If Ike can’t cure our drops nobody can.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Tristan Davis

Very talented. Best returner we have had that I can remember (maybe McCalebb, but he didn’t return punts). Not exactly Devin Hester but Tristan could bust a return open at any moment. I believe he also blocked the Florida punt in 06.

3 hours ago, au302 said:

I think TJ could be solid. It’ll be interesting to see. He is such a massive dude. Built similar to Big Ben, Jamarcus Russell, and Leftwich. But he doesn’t seem to be as fluid and natural in that big frame as they were. Maybe that’s nerves, which can be fixed, or maybe that’s just the way the kid moves. But yeah, you make a good point we abandoned going under center late last year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Not saying it will happen but having an experienced oline could be a huge difference this year. They’re all bigger and shouldn’t have the dumb mental mistakes. Depth is the biggest issue but in college there’s plenty examples of what an experienced group can do versus raw talent

That and hopefully a better receiver corps. Guys are finally being taught how to run routes right and being coached up by Ike. I also believe we’ve upgraded the talent there. 

Let me have one Debbie Downer moment, and then I’ll go back to being positive 😁

Lots of folks talking about how much better the WR coaching is now.   Well, last year’s WR coach is now our OC!😱

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Lots of folks talking about how much better the WR coaching is now.   Well, last year’s WR coach is now our OC!😱

The skill upgrade from last year to this year's group is significantly more

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

He also helped our receivers get better in a short amount of time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I could be wrong but I think CBH will have his hands ALL OVER play calling and game plan on Offense

13 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I apologize in advance for the question, but…What has happened to Nick Brahms as I read somewhere else his senior season is “in jeopardy”. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Anyone heard of Tank being banged up? Not sure if this is BS or not it was posted on TNOS.  Word is not serious being held out of full contact until game week, though.

He should be held out just for precautionary reasons. He should be the focus of our offense....Tank and the TE's should be the gameplan until the QB(whomever that is) gets dialed in.

• Like 1

Back to positive:

Comparisons to 2004….

Season before finished below expectations.

There was an active effort to fire the coach that ultimately failed.   

The current season has much lower preseason expectations.  
The team has made a major effort to come together and has developed some really good chemistry as a result.  
The defense, especially DL and DB are supposed to be good.   One returning starter at LB and some young talent that hopefully steps up.  
We have at least 2 very good RBs.  
Our WR room has talent.

Our QB (TJ or ZC would fit) had a disappointing season last year with an opportunity for a huge statement season this year.  

So maybe lightning strikes twice and we run the table!!!!!   Why not? It’s Auburn!

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Back to positive:

Comparisons to 2004….

Season before finished below expectations.

There was an active effort to fire the coach that ultimately failed.   

The current season has much lower preseason expectations.  
The team has made a major effort to come together and has developed some really good chemistry as a result.  
The defense, especially DL and DB are supposed to be good.   One returning starter at LB and some young talent that hopefully steps up.  
We have at least 2 very good RBs.  
Our WR room has talent.

Our QB (TJ or ZC would fit) had a disappointing season last year with an opportunity for a huge statement season this year.  

So maybe lightning strikes twice and we run the table!!!!!   Why not? It’s Auburn!

Crazier things have happened.