Kick Six left Saban in tears

aubiefifty

Kick Six left Alabama’s Nick Saban in tears, according to new book: ‘It was a funeral moment’

Published: Aug. 09, 2022, 1:20 p.m.
2-3 minutes

Alabama Football at Auburn, Nov. 30, 2019

Alabama head coach Nick Saban speaks with an official during the first half of the Alabama-Auburn football game Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Photo by Laura Chramer)Laura Chramer

The most improbable - and most memorable - ending in college football history left arguably the best coach in the sport in tears. That according to a new book.

The Kick 6 needs little explanation. However, in “The Leadership Secrets of Nick Saban: How Alabama’s Coach Became the Greatest Ever,” a book written by AL.com’s John Talty and released on Tuesday, revealed Alabama’s dramatic loss to Auburn at Jordan-Hare left Crimson coach Nick Saban in tears.

“You walk in, and everyone is crying,” former Alabama player Christion Jones is quoted as saying in the book. “Fifty percent crying and 50 percent tearing up. Coach Saban was in tears -- he could barely talk. His face was red. Everyone was emotional; it was a funeral moment.”

Nick Saban

It’s just one of the many revelations in the book, which is available at Amazon.

In addition to Saban’s emotional reaction to the Kick 6, the book also shares Saban’s flirtation with ESPN’s College GameDay after the memorable 34-28 Auburn win over Alabama in the Iron Bowl. Paul Finebaum, in fact, went into great detail in an appearance on WNSP-FM 105.5 in Mobile last month about both meetings Saban and his representation had with ESPN and how the SEC Network analyst was in the middle of it. The SEC Network analyst shed some light on what drove Saban to find out more about ESPN, and it didn’t have anything to do with the Kick Six, he contends.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

I legit thought it killed the Bama fan sitting next to me.  We were in the end zone Davis ran into and sitting next to a couple of Alabama fans, a son about my age and his 70+ year old dad.  We had a great time during the game, some good natured trash talking and complimenting each other's teams on good plays.  When the kick-six happened I looked over and the dad was white as a sheet and seriously appeared to be having a heart attack.  I pointed this out to the son and he gave his dad a shake and snapped him out of it.  But for a brief moment I was mentally trying to figure out what we were going to do in all the pandemonium.

• Like 1

I still don't quite understand how this win is ranked with the miracle at Jordan Hare. The uga win was very lucky and AU should have lost the game after playing really well the first half. The kick six was caused by Saban realizing that his defense was toast against our offense and that his only chance was to beg a second back and try a field goal in regulation. IMHO.

My ex brother in law is 100% bammer, and he said before the ball was kicked that bamas only chance was the FG because their D was done. This was in real time during the game. He and I believe that AU would have scored at will in overtime and basically had the game in hand if uat doesn't make the field goal. We'll never know now, but we were dominant on O at the end of regulation.