Preseason Depth Chart

JwgreDeux

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

if not for the lower body injury Broome is playing through

What his injury? Don't like hearing our big man has a lower body injury right before the season.

26 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What his injury? Don't like hearing our big man has a lower body injury right before the season.

I don’t know, just something minor with the foot. Can probably find more details on the tweeter. He was in a little small foot brace in the women’s exhibition today, I doubt it’s something that’s a problem by conference games 

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:09 AM, AUinMS9528 said:

I think we’re still going to struggle from 3 point range again and that will ultimately keep us from making a deep run in March.

We are absolutely going to struggle shooting the 3 again this year in the sense that we will be streaky. What hurt us in March wasn't JUST poor three point shooting though, so I wouldn't tie good post-season run strictly to 3pt%. The fact is Green, Flannigan, and Williams all have horrible pre-release mechanics and they will be streaky shooters at best. KD has better form but has selection issues that is at the essence of who he is as a player, good and bad. So it will be interesting to see how Zep, Westry, Donaldson and Yohan shoot from the three this season. I expect marginal improvement at best from our returners.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/10/2022 at 2:23 PM, JwgreDeux said:

Starting 5

1. Green Jr. - the most accomplished performer we have returning, we need him to improve his distributing and shot selection.

2.  Westry - from this short sample, he looks to be the only guard we have that has the ability to penetrate, finish, handle, pass and shoot. I think we need him on the floor. Really like his upside. Can also help whoever is playing the 1 share the ball handling responsibility. 

3. Flannigan - while I am not sold on his return to form, he did look healthier in Israel and he brings defense and rebounding at the 3 that we need. If we had better guards I think Westry would have potentially taken this spot. 

4. J. Williams - he is one of our best remaining shooters and his versatility and experience will really help us. 

5. Broome - brings scoring we have to have with the loss of Jabari, and solid defense we need with the loss of Kessler. While he won't be as good defensively as Kessler, I think he brings more offensively and is more versatile. 

Second 5. 

1. Jasper - Zep was a starter most of last year, and if not for my view of Westry's upside, he would be a starter here again this year. Statistically our best returning 3 point shooter, we need him to look for that shot a little more this season. 

2. KD Johnson - take the good with the bad with this wild card, I prefer him creating havoc off the bench rather than in the starting lineup. 

3. Moore - while I think Westry will play some 3 as well (while some combination of Zep, KD, and Green are on the floor), Moore's only role is at the 3. He can't shoot but is a good rebounder and defender for short spurts. Will benefit from the departure of Devin Cambridge 

4. Traore - will push Williams for the starting spot. Has all the tools to be elite, just a bit raw. Looked lost at times on defense vs the national team, but also looked dominant at times on the offensive end. This guy is one to watch. He could become special. 

5. Cardwell - looks great on this trip. Lost some weight and improved his movement some. I look for him to expand on his role from last season and if he continues to blossom, may force Broome to play some at the 4 to get Cardwell more minutes. 

After weeks of practice, closed scrimmage and an exhibition here is my game one prediction for our starting five and next guy up at each spot (Obvioulsy Westry is out for now):

1. Green; Donaldson

2. Zep; KD

3. Flannigan; Moore

4. Traore; Williams

5. Cardwell; Broome (due in part to Broome's injury)

12 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

After weeks of practice, closed scrimmage and an exhibition here is my game one prediction for our starting five and next guy up at each spot (Obvioulsy Westry is out for now):

1. Green; Donaldson

2. Zep; KD

3. Flannigan; Moore

4. Traore; Williams

5. Cardwell; Broome (due in part to Broome's injury)

Traore over Williams is an interesting pick. That would surprise me some unless Williams is limited due to sickness right now. 

28 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Traore over Williams is an interesting pick. That would surprise me some unless Williams is limited due to sickness right now. 

I think Williams play a lot, and he might start game one. However, after re-watching some of the Israel trip and looking at the potential rotations I think he is too good not to start. He has a very high ceiling, very high.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I think Williams play a lot, and he might start game one. However, after re-watching some of the Israel trip and looking at the potential rotations I think he is too good not to start. He has a very high ceiling, very high.

Upside of Traore is for sure higher than Williams. I'll have to see more of him to agree his now talent is on the same level as Williams. For me Traore would have to be a 1 and done type player to jump Williams this year. And maybe he is at that level....i don't claim to really know how good the young guys are. Those highlight videos mean nothing to me and I have not gone back and watched the Israel games again.....i should do that tonight while waiting for the game to start. 

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Upside of Traore is for sure higher than Williams. I'll have to see more of him to agree his now talent is on the same level as Williams. For me Traore would have to be a 1 and done type player to jump Williams this year. And maybe he is at that level....i don't claim to really know how good the young guys are. Those highlight videos mean nothing to me and I have not gone back and watched the Israel games again.....i should do that tonight while waiting for the game to start. 

I'm not an expert talent evaluator as far as mock drafts go etc. However, I feel pretty confident about evaluating our roster and who gives us the best chance to win. Traore is going to be undeniable by the end of the season. I think we need to have stability coming off the bench and Williams can excel in that role. Either way, we have quality depth at that position and it will be fun to watch it play out. 

• Like 2

To me Traore vs Williams as to who is better and has the higher upside is a great argument. Traore is taller and has a great all around game. Williams has shown how good he can be when he is on like in last exhibition match but also has shown issues with foul trouble. I believe Traore has higher upside but Williams is really good. Either way Coach Pearl has to make the type decision most coaches would love to make. Who starts and who subs where either decision is good. I think you will see both get a good bit of PT and it won't really matter who is the starter.

Both play good defense, both can score, both work the boards well, and both are capable of finding the open man.  True quality depth is when the sub comes in and there is no drop off. With these two that is what we have.

Gotta start Traore but I think Bruce will give the senior the nod, at least on opening night. 

Jaylin has bided his time and u think Bruce will show him some love for that. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gotta start Traore but I think Bruce will give the senior the nod, at least on opening night. 

You could very well be right, but we are also now recruiting 5 stars that don't come in to sit on the bench. So you have to balance rewarding players who stay with rewarding players who come. For me then, you just play the best guy and you can look everyone in the eyes and say the best guy will play. I am a fan of Williams, and he is going to be a big part of this team this season. But last time I checked Traore is a borderline first rounder right now on some mock drafts. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This is where i am at. Start Jaylin for now and if Traore proves on the court to be the most productive then you swap them out. That way no hard feelings our people feeling slighted. Ball don't lie as they say. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

You could very well be right, but we are also now recruiting 5 stars that don't come in to sit on the bench. So you have to balance rewarding players who stay with rewarding players who come. For me then, you just play the best guy and you can look everyone in the eyes and say the best guy will play. I am a fan of Williams, and he is going to be a big part of this team this season. But last time I checked Traore is a borderline first rounder right now on some mock drafts. 

Yup I'm with ya I think Traore will be a star for us and should start. I just feel Bruce has been pumping up JWill since the end of last year and will give him the start. Just a guess

35 minutes ago, gravejd said:

This is where i am at. Start Jaylin for now and if Traore proves on the court to be the most productive then you swap them out. That way no hard feelings our people feeling slighted. Ball don't lie as they say. 

That's how I feel it'll play out. JWill as a main option off the bench is something that could be work IMO