Bruce Pearl— The Architect

toddc

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Nice to finally get the payoff from something at Auburn. We hoped he would save us and he's exceeded it.  I sure hope he can get that championship before he rides off into the sunset. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 8/13/2022 at 11:23 AM, AUBwins said:

Nice to finally get the payoff from something at Auburn. We hoped he would save us and he's exceeded it.  I sure hope he can get that championship before he rides off into the sunset. 

I think he is a great coach.  I am not saying that lightly.  However, I still believe we underachieved last year.  You have to be ready when your weaknesses get exposed.  

Yes, it was a really good year but, still disappointed we didn't go much deeper in the tournament.   

I think his son is going to be a really good coach also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I think he is a great coach.  I am not saying that lightly.  However, I still believe we underachieved last year.  You have to be ready when your weaknesses get exposed.  

Yes, it was a really good year but, still disappointed we didn't go much deeper in the tournament.   

There's no doubt we underachieved in last year's tournament. I'm of the opinion that that would not have happened if Chance Westry had been on last year's team, because that big, playmaking guard is what we lacked.

However, things are set up again this season. We were never going to replace Jabari and have no dropoff, but with Traore it's as small of one as possible. I'm not sure Broome is a step down from Walker at all, which is obviously bigtime praise. Flan looked 100% better, Westry appears to be everything he was touted as being, and every single one of the other returning players look like they've taken a step forward so far in the offseason. Donaldson definitely showed that he belongs on this team, but I had been hearing he was going to redshirt, so I don't know that we'll see him this season unless something drastic happens.

And as good as we legitimately were last season, we might be better this year simply because of the better balance from top to bottom of the roster. Could this year be the year?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I'm not talking about a specific season. Talking about the program as a whole.  Anything that happens in the tournament at all is better than it was through the majority of Auburn’s history.  I'm disappointed in recent missed opportunities just as much as anyone but I'm now excited for basketball before football starts!  That never happened before Bruce. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

How do u think his son is going to be a really good coach?

he’s coached one game for Auburn. 

we know nothing if he can carry on all the success like his dad. Is his personality anything like his dad’s? I haven’t seen it yet. 

how many sons of basketball HCs have been equally or better than their dad? 

it’s just too easy to assume in my opinion.

As long as Pearl stays involved, I don’t have a problem letting Steven a shot but if we continue to be one of top teams in college basketball and we have gotten interest from top established coaches….mmmm. 

10 hours ago, steeleagle said:

How do u think his son is going to be a really good coach?

he’s coached one game for Auburn. 

we know nothing if he can carry on all the success like his dad. Is his personality anything like his dad’s? I haven’t seen it yet. 

how many sons of basketball HCs have been equally or better than their dad? 

it’s just too easy to assume in my opinion.

As long as Pearl stays involved, I don’t have a problem letting Steven a shot but if we continue to be one of top teams in college basketball and we have gotten interest from top established coaches….mmmm. 

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2022/05/auburns-steven-pearl-recognized-as-1-of-nations-most-impactful-assistant-coaches.html

I know it's an AL.com article but it's a good write up of all the stuff Steven does that might get overlooked by some people.

"During his tenure on staff, Pearl has been an integral piece of Auburn’s rebuild and rise to prominence. He is responsible for scouting, defensive strategies and in-game adjustments. He has also been a crucial part of Auburn’s player development and recruiting efforts as the program has churned out multiple NBA prospects in recent seasons, including first-round picks Chuma Okeke and Isaac Okoro, second-round picks Sharife Cooper and JT Thor, as well as projected first-rounders in the upcoming NBA Draft: Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler (with Smith in the running for the No. 1 overall pick next month).

Pearl also holds a 1-0 coaching record as acting head coach, stepping in and guiding Auburn to a win against North Alabama on Dec. 14, 2021, as Bruce Pearl served the first of a two-game NCAA suspension. It was officially his first career coaching win.

After the season, the younger Pearl also participated in the National Association of Basketball Coaches and Athletic Director U’s invitation-only Collegiate Coaching Consortium in New Orleans during the week of the Final Four. The consortium produced a gathering of rising coaches and D-I athletic directors for a multi-day academy helping those rising coaches prepare for their first head coaching opportunity."

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It still leaves me speechless that our Men's basketball program is at a point that winning 28 games in a season leaves us kinda letdown. That we're even discussing if this could be our year to win a National Title just feels awesome as hell. I was watching Marty & McGee recently on SECN and they were talking about Bruce and what he has done here. Marty called our basketball program a "powerhouse" and he really meant it. I truly never envisioned Auburn basketball to be as big as it's become. We get mentioned nationally now and we are talked about, along with Tennessee, as the SEC powers before Kentucky is mentioned. 

I know we come up short in March Madness more than we like but to even be in this position to be let down about not making the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 is huge in itself. Bruce Pearl has done more with this program then I could ever have imagined and to even be talked about for a possible Natty is unbelievable.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

We can get into blue blood territory with a few more years of these draft picks and winning some titles.

• Like 1