Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

On Calzada:

Couple of things I'm hearing is that his grasp of the playbook has been lacking and he may have tweaked/injured his throwing shoulder in a freak non-football related incident, leading to his lack of accuracy.

Edited by JBiGGiE
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

On Calzada:

Couple of things I'm hearing is that his grasp of the playbook has been lacking and he may have tweaked/injured his throwing shoulder in a freak non-football related incident, leading to his lack of accuracy.

Well the beginning is problematic 

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

Well the beginning is problematic 

Both are. Not being able to grasp the offense is one thing. Add a body that's made of peanut brittle is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

Both are. Not being able to grasp the offense is one thing. Add a body that's made of peanut brittle is a recipe for disaster.

Well I don’t want to assume much of his injury, but I will say that he has had pretty much this whole time while injured to soak the basics of this up. I could give that a pass as a freshman with no experience but he has played under a Jimbo Fisher offense and has had SEC experience in some vital games. Again all of this is pure assumption but that is kind of alarming to me if true. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

He is not supplanting Jarquez; not this year or next.

If Alston is a good back he could very easily supplant Hunter. Take out that one 94 yard run against Al. State and Hunter's stats are ordinary in the extreme. Hunter didn't do well against the top competition. In the last seven games of the season he only had one game in which he averaged at least 4 yards per carry. Hunter will have to up his game if he's to avoid being passed by a true freshman. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4710341

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If Alston is a good back he could very easily supplant Hunter. Take out that one 94 yard run against Al. State and Hunter's stats are ordinary in the extreme. Hunter didn't do well against the top competition. In the last seven games of the season he only had one game in which he averaged at least 4 yards per carry. Hunter will have to up his game if he's to avoid being passed by a true freshman. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4710341

Hunter is a bit of a mystery. Surprisingly good start. Definitely faded as the season went on and against better competition. Maybe he just hit a wall as a freshman. TBD. I like him, though. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Here you go with averages of 4. First Gus averaged 4.5 losses a year(not 5) and now Jarquez only averaged 4 yards a carry. Have you ever considered that Jarquez got better from his 1st season in the SEC? That's what typically happens from your first year to the second. Jarquez is a beast and with a better blocking offensive line, who has now gotten Gus out of their system, he will be doing bigger things. The only way Alston jumps Jarquez is if he sustains an injury. Stop it, Mikey! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Here you go with averages of 4. First Gus averaged 4.5 losses a year(not 5) and now Jarquez only averaged 4 yards a carry. Have you ever considered that Jarquez got better from his 1st season in the SEC? That's what typically happens from your first year to the second. Jarquez is a beast and with a better blocking offensive line, who has now gotten Gus out of their system, he will be doing bigger things. The only way Alston jumps Jarquez is if he sustains an injury. Stop it, Mikey! 

Why does everything have to be black and white on here? Jarquez showed a ton of promise. I'm optimistic about him. 

ALSO, his production after game 5 was very bad. So the jury is still out. And Alston could be great. Who knows. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:11 AM, AUx said:

At an Everything School, maybe we have to implement a starter/reliever baseball strategy in football to compensate for a guy who only has 2-1/2 quarters in his arm? JK

Well Bruce has shown with basketball, depth is the best thing going. Having a second QBs ready to come in is a good thing. How many times have we just hung in there with a starter with a bum leg because we didn’t trust the backup or #1 didn’t want to be taken out because of ego? Why can’t QB be like a pitcher in baseball? And have a closer in the bench? Just thinking out loud. Is that aloud here? 😁

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Well Bruce has shown with basketball, depth is the best thing going. Having a second QBs ready to come in is a good thing. How many times have we just hung in there with a starter with a bum leg because we didn’t trust the backup or #1 didn’t want to be taken out because of ego? Why can’t QB be like a pitcher in baseball? And have a closer in the bench? Just thinking out loud. Is that aloud here? 😁

Having a closer backup QB is great, especially when your offense is clicking and can pile up the points so that half way through the 3rd qtr the closer can come in and relieve the starter. 

Unfortunately,  Auburn has had a hard time clicking the last few years and we didn’t have the luxury of putting in backups.

• Like 1

Here you go with averages of 4.

It wasn't averages of four. Hunter only had one game in the final four games where he even averaged four yards a carry. Did you bother to look at his stats? He didn't gain even 20 yards in any of the last five games of the season. That's poor to say the least. While I hope the best for every AU player, it's still accurate to say that if Hunter doesn't up his game he'll be passed by more productive players. That's a simple fact. He's not in some unassailable position, your comment to the contrary. He hasn't accomplished enough to have even 2nd team nailed down.

Have you ever considered that Jarquez got better from his 1st season in the SEC?

No reason to assume that, he clearly got worse from the start of last season to the end of it. Are there rave articles about his progress since last year? Coaches talking him up in the current press conferences? Nope, nothing about Hunter except crickets. Alston will pass Hunter if Hunter doesn't step up.

4 hours ago, cbo said:

Hunter is a bit of a mystery. Surprisingly good start. Definitely faded as the season went on and against better competition. Maybe he just hit a wall as a freshman. TBD. I like him, though. 

His usage also apparently suddenly dropped rapidly according to Pinkston. They rode Tank the second half of the season hard. He's argued that they made a mistake in doing so and shoulda kept Hunter involved.

Hunters a hard-nosed baller though. I have no worries. He's not a bell cow, but he's a good second back with breakaway speed. Also clutch as hell. Several big runs in big moments, especially LSU. He'll be ok, but Alston is definitely gonna push him. Good all around.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, au302 said:

His usage also apparently suddenly dropped rapidly according to Pinkston. They rode Tank the second half of the season hard. He's argued that they made a mistake in doing so and shoulda kept Hunter involved.

Hunters a hard-nosed baller though. I have no worries. He's not a bell cow, but he's a good second back with breakaway speed. Also clutch as hell. Several big runs in big moments, especially LSU. He'll be ok, but Alston is definitely gonna push him. Good all around.

His carries absolutely bottomed out after the LSU game. But let's think about why that might be. 

He wasn't gaining any yards in the second half of the season. Look up his average yards per carry per game. Horrible. If we kept running him, we would all be angry at Harsin. The Oline was probably the main issue. That just gives me more appreciation for Tank, who was still finding yards out there. 

I like Hunter. I think he has the potential to be great. To act like that's a foregone conclusion is too far for me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, au302 said:

His best play may have been the long run after the catch in the Iron Bowl that was called back due to the phantom holding call on Shenker. 

• Like 1

Hi.  Been a while since I posted. 
I love the idea we might have 3 backs who can pound the ball. What I am still nervous about is that OL and a passing attack good enough to open up the running game 

if you can’t pass, you can’t run. Especially not when you have to have those tough yards. 

Are people actually debating whether Hunter is in jeopardy of losing the #2 spot?  He's not...not even close.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Are people actually debating whether Hunter is in jeopardy of losing the #2 spot?  He's not...not even close.

^^^THIS^^^ Thank you! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbo said:

His carries absolutely bottomed out after the LSU game. But let's think about why that might be. 

He wasn't gaining any yards in the second half of the season. Look up his average yards per carry per game. Horrible. If we kept running him, we would all be angry at Harsin. The Oline was probably the main issue. That just gives me more appreciation for Tank, who was still finding yards out there. 

I like Hunter. I think he has the potential to be great. To act like that's a foregone conclusion is too far for me. 

And to be clear I'm not expecting greatness or even for him to be RB1 next year. I think the issue is that people are expecting that and are thus down on him a bit. Definitely need to use him better. Out of all three, he's got the most breakaway imo and is the best receiving back.

If we use him on outside runs like the tosses and as a receiving back that may be his best role versus between the tackles as much to avoid the issues that you bring up, which are true.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cbo said:

His game against Arkansas was ugly. That was probably when his carries really dropped. That number 2 spot isn’t as locked up as people may make it seem. I haven’t seen Hunter’s name mentioned once this preseason

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

His game against Arkansas was ugly. That was probably when his carries really dropped. That number 2 spot isn’t as locked up as people may make it seem. I haven’t seen Hunter’s name mentioned once this preseason

How silly is this? What are we really talking bout? 

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

How silly is this? What are we really talking bout? 

Iverson was an MVP he didn’t need too much practice. Jarquez isn’t an MVP level player so he needs all the practice he can get. Damari ain’t coming into to Auburn to redshirt. Competition is what you want 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Iverson was an MVP he didn’t need too much practice. Jarquez isn’t an MVP level player so he needs all the practice he can get. Damari ain’t coming into to Auburn to redshirt. Competition is what you want 

That was a joke, c'mon man lol

• Haha 1