Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Ok, but compare the 2 RB's stats. Of course Tank should be better, but it's not close. 

Once again, I LIKE HUNTER. The point some of us were trying to make is that it's not like he's proven to be the greatest back up RB of all time. He will probably be a great RB2 next year. But there's a chance Alston is better. 

No one said he was, but I don’t think the over criticism is warranted based on the run blocking of the OL in the latter part of the season. He still has to prove it this season just like majority or the team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

In what world has anyone remotely said that ?

Let me ask you a simple question. What are you basing that DA can upend JH as the #2 spot on the depth chart on? And what are you basing your assumption that their is a chance JH can lose the #2 spot to DA?

Are we really still doing this? I thought we had come to a resolution.

I wasn't even thinking about you when I posted this. I was thinking about a couple posters who acted like it was absurd to even have a discussion about DA taking the #2 spot. 

But, you're right. No one ever said Hunter was the best back up RB of all time. Sometimes people exaggerate to try to make a point. 

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Are we really still doing this? I thought we had come to a resolution.

I wasn't even thinking about you when I posted this. I was thinking about a couple posters who acted like it was absurd to even have a discussion about DA taking the #2 spot. 

But, you're right. No one ever said Hunter was the best back up RB of all time. Sometimes people exaggerate to try to make a point. 

I’m not even on that . I am honestly curious what are you basing that on? You guys wanted to have a discussion so let’s discuss 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Come on, guys. Mikey is just saying to pump the brakes on JH a bit. And I agree. The narrative has been that JH and Tank are already a Cadillac-Ronnie type tandem. Tank is elite and of their ilk, but I don’t think JH is anywhere near that caliber yet.

If Alston is great, then yeah, I could see him getting as many touches as JH.

I mean there are even some folks who say Tank isn't elite yet due to his vision being sloppy and his tendency to try to bounce everything instead of taking what the defense gives him. And tbh I agree with those takes. He did struggle with that, and there's always room for  growth. The entire room still has room to grow.

I will say I'm pumped that this is a discussion. Alston is surprising. Considering we are 2 years removed from having guys like DJ Williams, Antony-Richardson, and Harold Joiner in our room, backing up bell-cow Boobee Whitlow, Cadillac has really deepened and bettered the room in short-order. Props to him.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’m not even on that . I am honestly curious what are you basing that on? You guys wanted to have a discussion so let’s discuss 

Ok. For starters, I believe in recruiting rankings. I hate to even say that on here, because someone will bring up some great 3 star. But I believe in the overall odds. There's a reason Bama and UGA dominate recruiting rankings and then win championships. And Alston was highly ranked. 

Second, even though I LIKE HUNTER, he didn't fare well at the end of the season. When we needed him most, he did not contribute. In fact, he wasted plays. That could be because he was a true freshman. That fact did not help us win games. 

Third, I am trying to be somewhat optimistic about Harsin's recruiting, which I generally disdain. Alston seems like one of his better recruits. 

No, I have not dissected his film. No, I am not a RB expert. No, I have not been at fall practice. 

• Like 3

I honestly don’t know enough about Alston. I may be remembering wrong, but was he the kid who was projected to be a 5* but got hurt his junior year or something and people said lost a step? Am I crazy? 

I also wish I better understood Hunter’s drop in production last season. 

Edit: Confusing Damari with ARMONI Goodwin. 

Edited by Barnacle

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

Ok. For starters, I believe in recruiting rankings. I hate to even say that on here, because someone will bring up some great 3 star. But I believe in the overall odds. There's a reason Bama and UGA dominate recruiting rankings and then win championships. And Alston was highly ranked. 

Second, even though I LIKE HUNTER, he didn't fare well at the end of the season. When we needed him most, he did not contribute. In fact, he wasted plays. That could be because he was a true freshman. That fact did not help us win games. 

Third, I am trying to be somewhat optimistic about Harsin's recruiting, which I generally disdain. Alston seems like one of his better recruits. 

No, I have not dissected his film. No, I am not a RB expert. No, I have not been at fall practice. 

That is all I asked for lol. Thanks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is all I asked for lol. Thanks.

Cool. What are the reasons you think it's not worth discussing the possibility that Alston could rise above Hunter?

• Like 2

Woowee this thread took a turn 

• Sad 1

Erbody just take a deep breath. 

/s

Edited by Didba

This is the way I see it. 

Jarquez is gonna get his. Alston is gonna get snaps in non-passing downs. Tank is gonna carry the bulk of the load. 

All three backs bring something different to the table and I think it’s great that we have three backs that are talented enough to demand playing time. It killed me to see Gus run out best RB into the ground when we had guys to spell him. Now we have a great three back rotation. Less injuries and more fresh legs.

If Alston can push Jarquez to be as good as he can be then great.  

we shouldn’t be arguing over Alston vs Hunter, we should be discussing how awesome it is to have both plus tank.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

Haha. I'm good, Didba. I bet DAG is too. 

It was meant to be a bit humorous, I know you guys aren’t actually pissed. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cbo said:

Cool. What are the reasons you think it's not worth discussing the possibility that Alston could rise above Hunter?

Well I never said it was not worth the discussing as I am partaking it in it:

But first the argument is based on reality vs potential. That in itself is flawed.

Here is why. You have the luxury of seeing JH and deducing that he can be upended as the second back on distinctive stats, which you have used against him in some retrospect. You have none of that for DA.

You self admitteD, you are basing it on the ranking system, then you reference Bama and UGA. Again, those are two different extremes. Alabama has collected talent all over the place. Just like UGA. So collective talent can win you consistent national championships and success for sure. But if you place Brian Robinson on Auburn last year, I am not so sure he gets to close to 1400 yards rushing. And if you switch Tank to Bama, he probably does get to 1400 yards. Who knows? My point is individual vs collective talent.

Secondly, since you don't know much about DA at all, you have no negatives to say about him. There is no true compare and contrast. The discussion completely is tilted to favor DA based on star potential SOLELY. So yes , you can have the discussion. But my commentary is based on the fact that it is a funny discussion premised on potential vs actual data.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

Haha. I'm good, Didba. I bet DAG is too. 

We are definitely good. Healthy discussion. @Didba. There are a select few posters who want to make it more than it is. Not saying you are one. It is the main culprits.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

We are definitely good. Healthy discussion. @Didba. There are a select few posters who want to make it more than it is. Not saying you are one. It is the main culprits.

DAG knows I like him. Maybe not as much tonight as usual haha. It's cool. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Heck, JW did that and more to give respite to Tank Daniels.

Who is JW and who is Tank Daniels? What team do they play for?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

DAG knows I like him. Maybe not as much tonight as usual haha. It's cool. 

You know you still the bro

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I never said it was not worth the discussing as I am partaking it in it:

But first the argument is based on reality vs potential. That in itself is flawed.

Here is why. You have the luxury of seeing JH and deducing that he can be upended as the second back on distinctive stats, which you have used against him in some retrospect. You have none of that for DA.

You self admitteD, you are basing it on the ranking system, then you reference Bama and UGA. Again, those are two different extremes. Alabama has collected talent all over the place. Just like UGA. So collective talent can win you consistent national championships and success for sure. But if you place Brian Robinson on Auburn last year, I am not so sure he gets to close to 1400 yards rushing. And if you switch Tank to Bama, he probably does get to 1400 yards. Who knows? My point is individual vs collective talent.

Secondly, since you don't know much about DA at all, you have no negatives to say about him. There is no true compare and contrast. The discussion completely is tilted to favor DA based on star potential SOLELY. So yes , you can have the discussion. But my commentary is based on the fact that it is a funny discussion premised on potential vs actual data.

I completely agree with your point about everyone liking the shiny new thing. I usually rail against that. 

But I still think you are missing my point. DA has the potential to be better than Hunter. It probably won't happen in DA's first year. It might never happen. But it's possible. That's all I've ever said. 

As far as Bama/UGA and recruiting rankings, of course the collective matters. My point was that the highest rated players out of high school generally make the best college players. Of course there are misses. But the rankings work overall. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Who is JW and who is Tank Daniels? What team do they play for?

Mikey, I say this with all sincerity, in the hope it might mean something to you. This post is exactly why you get so much flack on here. So much to respond to on this thread. Including me, basically arguing your point. Why focus on a slip of the mind or a typo? It's not very endearing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

DA has the potential to be better than Hunter.

The funny thing is I do agree with your point on this. I even said he has the potential.

But I have the Darrell Royal mindset when it comes to potential. 

Can I see what he does against Mercer at least first before I give the thought of him bypassing JH. That is just me though. Agree to disagree somewhat.  AGREE MOSTLY HOWEVER my friend. I hope all three dominate and if DA becomes the best or even second best, so be it!

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The funny thing is I do agree with your point on this. I even said he has the potential.

But I have the Darrell Royal mindset when it comes to potential. 

Can I see what he does against Mercer at least first before I give the thought of him bypassing JH. That is just me though. Agree to disagree somewhat. 

The way you are with the RB's is like me with the WR's. I need to see something first. Been burned too many times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

The way you are with the RB's is like me with the WR's. I need to see something first. Been burned too many times. 

This is how I am with the whole DAMN team. I am tired of quotes, and hearing "I am sick of losing" or "I want to be the coach here." I want to see it on the field and recruiting rankings. So ready for football to start.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

Mikey, I say this with all sincerity, in the hope it might mean something to you. This post is exactly why you get so much flack on here. So much to respond to on this thread. Including me, basically arguing your point. Why focus on a slip of the mind or a typo? It's not very endearing. 

Read the post by DAG, 20 minutes ago now for a perfect example. Some here reap what they sow.

15 minutes ago, cbo said:

He is smarter than all of us, and doesn't care what we think, which is why he is on here enlightening us all the time. Lord, what would we do without Mikey to show us the way.

Edited by Didba
  • Thanks 1