Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

I've heard a lot from local friends and From what I've read its mixed. Finley did great early but fell off. Calzada started off mediocre but hit Shenk on a TD with 1 on 1's late. Lesson is, it is early and it's all going to play out. It's still ALOT to figure out. 

At an Everything School, maybe we have to implement a starter/reliever baseball strategy in football to compensate for a guy who only has 2-1/2 quarters in his arm? JK

• Haha 2

Where I’m very excited this season = Defense and specifically D line. We are very good here. Camden Brown and K Moore and the depth at receiver. Tank and the running backs as a whole. New recruits coming in and making a legit impact. Having 5 home games to start season. 

Where I’m cautiously optimistic = O line putting it all together. One of the QBs takes a big forward. Passing game improves between the Te, WR and RBs thus opening up our offensive attack. Being 4-0 against LSU. Coaching staff is more united and ready to hold it together all season. 

Reasons I’m worried = Injuries impacting where we are not deep…. specially O line. A QB does not take the needed big step forward. Being 3/2 or worse by October 2nd. 😬

Edited by GreenTiger
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Where I’m very excited this season = Defense and specifically D line. We are very good here. Camden Brown and K Moore and the depth at receiver. Tank and the running backs as a whole. New recruits coming in and making a legit impact. 

Where I’m cautiously optimistic = O line putting it all together. One of the QBs takes a big forward. Passing game improves between the Te, WR and RBs thus opening up our offensive attack. Coaching staff is more united and ready to hold it together all season. 

Reasons I’m worried = Injuries impacting where we are not deep…. specially O line. A QB does not take the needed big step forward. Being 3/2 or worse by October 2nd. 😬

If we're 3-2 by October 2nd, Harsin might not last the entire season. It will be an uphill battle for him even if we're 4-1. That's not really fair to him, because despite the proclamations of an apologist for our previous head coach, the program was in shambles when he took over, and he's having to do a rebuild in fast forward because Auburn people are tired of giving the coach time to get things together after watching Gus bumble about for 7 seasons after taking us to the BCSNCG.

That's just one of the reasons why there are a lot of people who think Auburn is the toughest head coaching job in college football.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

If we're 3-2 by October 2nd, Harsin might not last the entire season. It will be an uphill battle for him even if we're 4-1. That's not really fair to him, because despite the proclamations of an apologist for our previous head coach, the program was in shambles when he took over, and he's having to do a rebuild in fast forward because Auburn people are tired of giving the coach time to get things together after watching Gus bumble about for 7 seasons after taking us to the BCSNCG.

That's just one of the reasons why there are a lot of people who think Auburn is the toughest head coaching job in college football.

Harsin apologist alert!. He took over a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years and promptly guided it to a losing season. Yet, somehow the losses aren't Harsin's fault, the losing season is somehow the fault of the guy who never had a losing season. I don't think that type of thinking would pass a freshman Logic course at Auburn.

Gus coached ten SEC games his final year and had a 6-4 record in those ten games. Harsin coached eight SEC games his first year and had a 3-5 record. Harsin wasn't left with a mess, Harsin made a mess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 5

Harsin apologist alert!. He took over a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years and promptly guided it to a losing season. Yet, somehow the losses aren't Harsin's fault, the losing season is somehow the fault of the guy who never had a losing season. I don't think that type of thinking would pass a freshman Logic course at Auburn.

Gus coached ten SEC games his final year and had a 6-4 record in those ten games. Harsin coached eight SEC games his first year and had a 3-5 record. Harsin wasn't left with a mess, Harsin made a mess.

Take your favorite coaches advice and get better at celebrating! 😁

Take your favorite coaches advice and get better at celebrating! 😁

My favorite AU coach would be Coach Jordan. He'd celebrate when the situation warranted. He'd also recognize reality when it stared him in the face.

I don't dislike Harsin, the man. In a lot of ways he's a stereotypical coach of the 1950's and '60's. Problem with that is, as Dylan sang, "The Times They Are A' Changin'" or in the case of college football, the times have changed.

From On3: Multiple observers ranked the quarterbacks Finley, Ashford and Calzada on the night, in that order…

Finley delivered clutch passes at clutch times…

Taken from another board-"Heard from some folks I trust Calzada was not just bad today but very bad. TJ the clear leader on running the offense."  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is what you want to hear. Even last year when he had the time he made the throws. More he played though the pocket just wasn’t there and he just doesn’t have that mobility to gain yards from a busted play

I wish we had the edge guys to test him.  The pass to Camden on Twitter-He had plenty of time, zero push by guys in the middle of the DL, just being stood up.  You are not going to get that time for those clutch passes on 3rd and 10. 

My favorite AU coach would be Coach Jordan. He'd celebrate when the situation warranted. He'd also recognize reality when it stared him in the face.

I don't dislike Harsin, the man. In a lot of ways he's a stereotypical coach of the 1950's and '60's. Problem with that is, as Dylan sang, "The Times They Are A' Changin'" or in the case of college football, the times have changed.

In relation to song and change. Your takes are the same…. a broken record. 

• Like 2

Auburn has never fired a coach in the middle of the season.  They didn't fire Chizik and Bowden resigned.  Harsin will last until the end of the season guaranteed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Auburn has never fired a coach in the middle of the season.  They didn't fire Chizik until the end even though the record was 3-8 and Bowden resigned.  Harsin will last until the end of the season guaranteed. 

Not always. I do respond when the Harsin apologists blame Harsin's failures on former coaches. Same apologies, same response from me. "Consistency is the mark of greatness"~~~ Shug Jordan.

I’m just glad we start off with Mercer…

i have renamed mercer mercy this year. it might be a mercy we start with a cupcake this year. i am not bashing the team i just do not think the team is complete yet.

• Like 1

show me where mickey hurt you. he is entitled to his opinion and i admire the fact no one has made him change from his core beliefs of auburn right now. he is an old ball coach and i am sure he has heard it all from the stands by now. he has the right to his beliefs regardless of how popular they are. his crime? liking gus and doubting hars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

I am so sick and tired of these Gus lovers, bragging about how Gus/Auburn hadn't had a losing record in the past 8 season. 

2020 Record 6-5(This is after Gus has had 8 years to build the program)

• Lost 35-19 to Northwestern in bowl game; not to mention losing to UCF in a previous bowl game. 

2021 Record 6-7(This is after year 1)

You mean to tell me 6-5 is something to be happy about and is a means to try to demean the current coach, who inherited that putrid offensive talent??? 

Give it a rest, dude! 

it is called freedom of speech. does 6 and 5 trump 5 and 7? has hars won a natty? hars lost the last five games and that is not a good look. when hars starts winning mickey will be all for hars and he has said it over and over. see how that works? and i am all in for hars but he needs to show me something. he almost got his signature win against bama but a player was thrown out of bounds. just let people have their fun.

• Like 3

2020 Record 6-5(This is after Gus has had 8 years to build the program)

• Lost 35-19 to Northwestern in bowl game; not to mention losing to UCF in a previous bowl game. 

At least be honest. Gus didn't coach the 2020 bowl game. 6-4 against SEC competition isn't something to brag about but it beats the devil out of Harsin's 3-5. 

Going back to when Coach Jordan was hired for the 1951 season, only two AU coaches have had a first year record worse than their predecessor's final season. Doug Barfield and Bryan Harsin. Chew on that for a minute.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

Not always. I do respond when the Harsin apologists blame Harsin's failures on former coaches. Same apologies, same response from me. "Consistency is the mark of greatness"~~~ Shug Jordan.

If you can't see that Gus was a bad HC, nobody will change your mind, more does anyone care to.  No player development whatsoever.  None.  Attitudes wrecking the team chemistry.   He was not a good coach.  He relied on talent and goofy schemes which are now obsolete.   Fun when it was fresh and run with a very specific QB skill set.  

He's not a head coach... He's a coordinator who got lucky. 

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

At least be honest. Gus didn't coach the 2020 bowl game. 6-4 against SEC competition isn't something to brag about but it beats the devil out of Harsin's 3-5. 

Going back to when Coach Jordan was hired for the 1951 season, only two AU coaches have had a first year record equal to or worse than their predecessor's final season. Doug Barfield and Bryan Harsin. Chew on that for a minute.

Because they took a team with talent and fixed the chemistry but couldn't follow through with their own recruits.  The coaches like Bowden etc who won instantly.  Fools gold. 

Edited by kennypowers
  • Thanks 1

Because they took a team with talent and fixed the chemistry but couldn't follow through with their own recruits.  

And Harsin couldn't fix the chemistry. Jordan, Dye etc. couldn't recruit? That seems to be what you are saying.

And Harsin couldn't fix the chemistry. Jordan, Dye etc. couldn't recruit? That seems to be what you are saying.

Sure coach.  Whatever you want to believe. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you can't see that Gus was a bad HC, nobody will change your mind, more does anyone care to.

He's never had a losing season. That alone removes him from the "bad head coach" category. Great head coach? No, but bad head coaches lose more games than they win. Gus wins more than he loses.

• Like 2

Harsin was plentiful with specific praise for many players (vs ambiguous platitudes). An area he indicated some specific lack of production running. I know this has a lot to do with OL, a really good DL, avoiding injury, etc., etc. But he indicated there were some holes in the line not used and not being able to break away from 1-on-1 tackling situations. Maybe last year OL and injury were reasons, but Tank didn't exactly live up to the hype. What's up there? I hope Tank has a breakout season. Even last year, I expected Hunter to bulldoze a lot more in short yardage, considering his Herculean strength. There's talent and Caddy is no slouch. But, I must have missed positive reports on running back progress, because it seems conspicuously absent. Make Auburn Running Back University Again (MARBUA)!

• Like 1