Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

Yes, we went 6-5. And sure, if the refs accurately call Nix's backwards pass  a fumble, we finish 5-6 and have a losing season. But on paper it as a winning season if the on field results said different. 

And just because the QB room consisted of Bo Nix and Grant Loy when Harsin took over, I still fail to see how that isn't Harsin's fault for not recruiting the position better before he was hired as coach.

Let's not forget the blatant missed call on the kick off to shivers in the Ole Miss game.  We had 2 games that went our way to to ridiculous lucky breaks by the refs

• Like 1

If we're 3-2 by October 2nd, Harsin might not last the entire season. It will be an uphill battle for him even if we're 4-1. That's not really fair to him, because despite the proclamations of an apologist for our previous head coach, the program was in shambles when he took over, and he's having to do a rebuild in fast forward because Auburn people are tired of giving the coach time to get things together after watching Gus bumble about for 7 seasons after taking us to the BCSNCG.

That's just one of the reasons why there are a lot of people who think Auburn is the toughest head coaching job in college football.

plus MEDDLING...

It sounds like TJ has the most knowledge of the quarterbacks but just like a poster mentioned above the past is stuck in my head. The 2020 game vs Auburn didn’t do well. The Georgia State game he did well but u could make a strong argument McClains return was just as important. IMO the turning point in the Iron Bowl was the interception in which Bama hit a FG. Tank in or out of bounds at the end probably doesn’t happen. 
Lastly, there are 3 weeks left. Teams like Mercer are supposed to be cream puffs. The last thing u want to do is give teams like that hope.

• Like 2

Let's not forget the blatant missed call on the kick off to shivers in the Ole Miss game.  We had 2 games that went our way to to ridiculous lucky breaks by the refs

I would call the Ole Miss game equal. There was a phantom call on the kickoff TD. I believe it was Tank

Edited by e808

Anyone seen reports that TJ was actually good?  Consistent passes to all parts of the field, etc?

Not trying to knock him, but it seems like a lot of the reports seem to be TJ was the best of 3 bad QBs.  I'm pro development of QBs, was with Bo.  I think TJ can get better, but I've always wanted him to develop for another year or so.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

From On3: Multiple observers ranked the quarterbacks Finley, Ashford and Calzada on the night, in that order…

Finley delivered clutch passes at clutch times…

I imagine there's a feeding frenzy over on On3 with that news.. I got the hell out of that Bunker II forum.

• Like 1

I imagine there's a feeding frenzy over on On3 with that news.. I got the hell out of that Bunker II forum.

It's no where near as bad as the bunker.  Seems like a decent mix.  The bunker is 100% of ppl trying to play a character on the internet.  On3 seems to only have 3-4

• Like 1

Anyone seen reports that TJ was actually good?  Consistent passes to all parts of the field, etc?

Not trying to knock him, but it seems like a lot of the reports seem to be TJ was the best of 3 bad QBs.  I'm pro development of QBs, was with Bo.  I think TJ can get better, but I've always wanted him to develop for another year or so.

That's a good point. It seems more so that Calzada is just not playing well versus "TJ is surprisingly turning heads and taking the job." 

Harsin said last night that TJ operated well but needs to hit simple passes, so I'm sure some of this may be a bit exaggerated.

• Like 1

There were somewhat dubious comments from Harsin. He said TJ understands the strategy and offense. He is great at listening. He is great at passing-on that info to teammates in lieu of a coach doing it. Those are great mental and leadership traits. Great compliments. I know it's parsing, but it almost sounds like there is a "but" he stops short on: but, we have to get that translated into physical performance. It's so early in the practice cycle. This is all making inferences from a statistically-insignificant sample so far. An optimistic perspective is, if we are ahead of they usual cycle in unity, discipline, strength, and mental, then there's a lot more margin this year for the coaches to focus on mechanics (aka., development). Hoping 🤞

• Like 1

It's no where near as bad as the bunker.  Seems like a decent mix.  The bunker is 100% of ppl trying to play a character on the internet.  On3 seems to only have 3-4

The inmates are running the asylum over on The Corner. Lots of good staff over there, but the Dollar a year Club is piling up.

• Haha 1

plus MEDDLING...

There are multiple factors that play a role.

• Thanks 1

There were somewhat dubious comments from Harsin. He said TJ understands the strategy and offense. He is great at listening. He is great at passing-on that info to teammates in lieu of a coach doing it. Those are great mental and leadership traits. Great compliments. I know it's parsing, but it almost sounds like there is a "but" he stops short on: but, we have to get that translated into physical performance. It's so early in the practice cycle. This is all making inferences from a statistically-insignificant sample so far. An optimistic perspective is, if we are ahead of they usual cycle in unity, discipline, strength, and mental, then there's a lot more margin this year for the coaches to focus on mechanics (aka., development). Hoping 🤞

Yeah. The most positive spin on that is he’s wanting to be positive to the players while pushing for more. But he doesn’t seem thrilled with anyone. But again, don’t really know his typical style of commenting well enough.

Reading between the lines, I get the feeling that the coaches really want either Calzada or Ashford to step up. Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but right now it feels like TJ's job is to be big brother to the other QBs and help them grasp the playbook, because he, himself, is more a backup plan.

Personally, I'm kinda rooting for Ashford at this point. I had been enamored by what I heard about Calzada's arm strength, but he's going to have to get his act together if he wants to be the starter.

Oh, one thing that surprised me in my scrimmage report was that the O-line is supposed to be doing pretty well. It's QB play on the offensive side and linebacker play on defense that was mentioned as the potential weak points. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All 3 QBs left schools where they were going to be backups according to reporters who covered each program. Doesn't seem a stretch that it may be a choice of best option from a weak group.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Yeah. The most positive spin on that is he’s wanting to be positive to the players while pushing for more. But he doesn’t seem thrilled with anyone. But again, don’t really know his typical style of commenting well enough.

Regardless, I'll take it over, "The future is bright," then ....

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

A lot of people need to.  I'm not saying he will be the best or even start, but the poor mouthing of Finley is embarrassing.  It's as if they don't remember Jason Campbell's first few years.  Players learn. Players work. Players improve.  I hope TJ makes his critics look foolish...just like I wish it for all the other players 

8BBB6079-1DFE-438B-ACEF-991F24672990.gif

• Haha 1

you had eyes on?

Yes. I was there. If I had to guess Harsin has TJ at #1. I believe Finley took all the snaps after warm up just before the start of the scrimmage. He was also teamed up with Tank for most if not all the scrimmage. 

I like Robbie. Just not sure he is ready to make decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Reading between the lines, I get the feeling that the coaches really want either Calzada or Ashford to step up. Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but right now it feels like TJ's job is to be big brother to the other QBs and help them grasp the playbook, because he, himself, is more a backup plan.

Personally, I'm kinda rooting for Ashford at this point. I had been enamored by what I heard about Calzada's arm strength, but he's going to have to get his act together if he wants to be the starter.

Oh, one thing that surprised me in my scrimmage report was that the O-line is supposed to be doing pretty well. It's QB play on the offensive side and linebacker play on defense that was mentioned as the potential weak points. 

And that O line is going up against a stout D  line! 

And that O line is going up against a stout D  line! 

Well, I think the idea is more that they look good considering who it is they're going up against more than they're dominating this D-line with two guys who would have been drafted if they'd left early. I got the feeling that the D-line won the night overall, just that the O-line held it's own surprisingly well, all things considered.

• Like 2

Yes, we went 6-5. And sure, if the refs accurately call Nix's backwards pass  a fumble, we finish 5-6 and have a losing season. But on paper it as a winning season if the on field results said different. 

And just because the QB room consisted of Bo Nix and Grant Loy when Harsin took over, I still fail to see how that isn't Harsin's fault for not recruiting the position better before he was hired as coach.

Not jumping in to this argument. Just trying to remember if the Kentucky game was also questioned that year because it looked like they might have scored then threw a pick the next play? 

Wonder if Alston could jump to RB2?  Sounds like he had a great scrimmage.  Heard Tank was having trouble with his footing all night.  

That would surprise the heck put of me. I think Tank and Hunter are one of the more dangerous 1-2 punches in college this year. But Alston seems to be making a strong case to play consistently in big moments, not just out of necessity like some Freshmen across the country. 

I didn't say he would be fired midseason, either. I said he might not last the season. The two statements are not synonymous.

Also, just because they don't technically fire a coach until the season is over, that doesn't mean he can't be gone before that time and just not know when the hammer is going to drop.

So you think he is going to resign b4 the end of season? Not a likely occurrence for a coach with the wherewithal that this coach has (IMO).

Harsin apologist alert!. He took over a team that hadn't had a losing season in eight years and promptly guided it to a losing season. Yet, somehow the losses aren't Harsin's fault, the losing season is somehow the fault of the guy who never had a losing season. I don't think that type of thinking would pass a freshman Logic course at Auburn.

Gus coached ten SEC games his final year and had a 6-4 record in those ten games. Harsin coached eight SEC games his first year and had a 3-5 record. Harsin wasn't left with a mess, Harsin made a mess.

200.gif.58a7f32a2b8d2d665179d41323d835e7.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

show me where mickey hurt you. he is entitled to his opinion and i admire the fact no one has made him change from his core beliefs of auburn right now. he is an old ball coach and i am sure he has heard it all from the stands by now. he has the right to his beliefs regardless of how popular they are. his crime? liking gus and doubting hars.

The biggest issue is he is unreasonable, not subjective, and never admits when he is wrong. And he brings it up in multiple threads. It’s grating for many of us on here.

You notice we don’t have the same old school posters in here? McLoofus? Gone. Bird? Was gone for a hot minute. SumterAubie barely posts anywhere outside of basketball.

people are tired of the constant negativity about the current program and it’s only coming from a small group of people on the board.

I’ll admit when many of us engage with them it makes it worse. It’s why I’ve just put all of ‘‘em on ignore and try my hardest to not engage. 

I am not always successful. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 5
  • Love 1