Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

5 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

That wasn't even the worst offensive play call on the night.  If I remember correctly, it was on our first offensive play, Gus had our right tackle pull and try to block their right defensive end.  I can't remember who our tackle was and who their DE was, but the play was a total bust.   I was there in person unfortunately.

And we ran that play TWICE, TWICE. TWO SEPARATE TIMES. A GROWN HUMAN DECIDED THAT PULLING A FREAKING TACKLE TO TRY AND KICK OUT BLOCK ONE OF THE BEST DEs IN THE LEAGUE AT THE TIME WAS A GOOD IDEA. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. HOW STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO DREAM THAT UP AN GO YUP THIS'LL WORK JUST FINE. SHEER INCOMPETENCE.

JD.gif.ca9e296ab3608a9967af644d2e32ab90.gif

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

That wasn't even the worst offensive play call on the night.  If I remember correctly, it was on our first offensive play, Gus had our right tackle pull and try to block their right defensive end.  I can't remember who our tackle was and who their DE was, but the play was a total bust.   I was there in person unfortunately.

I believe you are recalling a game against A&M. The Aggie DE was Myles Garrett. What is especially gross about the play is Malzahn called it a second time, later in the game.

Man was a genius, I tell you, a genius!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I believe you are recalling a game against A&M. The Aggie DE was Myles Garrett. What is especially gross about the play is Malzahn called it a second time, later in the game.

Man was a genius, I tell you, a genius!

That was the game that destroyed Gus' scheme. From that point on, the ZR was never able to be the cornerstone of an offense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Should've been fired that night

Is that before or after the LSU debacle? 

10 hours ago, kennypowers said:

My biggest concern is,and we won't know for a while, but has Finley peaked as a QB, and is his future in coaching?

People say he has tough times with short throws because he's so tall, but I'm like dang MFer....he's been 6'-13" for a while now.  I think, if truly happy at Auburn, he's a guy that comes back and jumps on the coach train.  

Or he could have worked his butt off in the off-season and improved. I would have loved to see some of the archive posts about Jason Campbell b4 the 2004 season. Not saying TJ will improve that much, but stranger things have happened

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

That was the game that destroyed Gus' scheme. From that point on, the ZR was never able to be the cornerstone of an offense.

Didn't stop someone from trying!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Let me guess. The same individual character derailing a perfectly good thread about the current auburn football team. Let me add another , this same character bought up the previous coach I am betting. 

You would bet wrong and lose your money. I very seldom bring up the previous coach. I do respond when people try to explain away Harsin's failings by blaming his predecessor.

Did you attend classes at Auburn? If so, you should have learned to be a more discerning reader. It was @Rednillawho once again tried to blame Gus for Harsin's failings. Go back and check out his post, that's the one that started this hijack. Read more carefully in the future and you won't be caught making erroneous statements.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Add Tubbs to that list.

Don't add Coach Tuberville to the list of coaches whose first season was worse than the previous coach's last. That list is very short: Doug Barfield and Brian Harsin.

AU 1998 3-8. AU 1999 (Tuberville's first year) 5-6. He improved the team's record.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

I wish we had the edge guys to test him.  The pass to Camden on Twitter-He had plenty of time, zero push by guys in the middle of the DL, just being stood up.  You are not going to get that time for those clutch passes on 3rd and 10. 

That is my biggest fear about TJ. Go watch the spring game. He made some passes that were allowed even though he would have been sacked in real time. He is just slow to react and slow in general.

He is 0-for as a starter in games where we should have/should have won. I’m usually optimistic. I’m not this year. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

Are you seriously placing these two coaches in the same bucket? You aren't the only one on here who remembers Barfield. Jordan was a gentleman and a coach and he hand picked Barfield without even a fake coaching search. He picked him out of loyalty.

Back then I was close to more than one member of the staff. What I was told was that Coach Jordan's pick was Paul Davis. That would have been loyalty too. The BOT didn't go along with what Shug wanted.

Those two coaches are in the same bucket in one respect. Their first season as a head coach was worse than the previous coach's  last season. They are only two AU coaches in that category going back to before Coach Jordan was hired.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

A lot of people need to.  I'm not saying he will be the best or even start, but the poor mouthing of Finley is embarrassing.  It's as if they don't remember Jason Campbell's first few years.  Players learn. Players work. Players improve.  I hope TJ makes his critics look foolish...just like I wish it for all the other players 

Man I hope you are correct. It would solve our biggest problem. Having never seen him play a good game, from when he played against us to when he played for us, I have been really looking forward to watching someone else take the reins at QB. Obviously the HBC wanted other options and needed backups when Bo left. The transfer market was supposed to give us another option, and we brought in another SEC west starter. 
But it appears, at this point anyway, Finley is still the best we have on the roster.

I will support whoever starts. TJ makes me anxious but maybe he has improved like you said. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Should've been fired that night

I'm obviously not an insider, but I have a relative that very much is. Some of you would recognize his name. We don't talk much, but I occasionally get a deep look inside. Which I would probably never post here. 

Point is, I have a pretty good story about the aftermath of that game. It pissed off a lot of people. 

Maybe I'll send you a DM. You seem like a trustworthy bird. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, au302 said:

That's a good point. It seems more so that Calzada is just not playing well versus "TJ is surprisingly turning heads and taking the job." 

Harsin said last night that TJ operated well but needs to hit simple passes, so I'm sure some of this may be a bit exaggerated.

Why must it always be that the QB who wasn't even on the roster the year previously is simply "not playing well" and the other guy can't have improved? The assumption that TJ hasn't improved any at all is extremely apparent amongst some on this Board..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm obviously not an insider, but I have a relative that very much is. Some of you would recognize his name. We don't talk much, but I occasionally get a deep look inside. Which I would probably never post here. 

Point is, I have a pretty good story about the aftermath of that game. It pissed off a lot of people. 

Maybe I'll send you a DM. You seem like a trustworthy bird. 

1A78FE3D-3D10-4E62-B353-3EDA15C2F61B.gif.14fca1c391dcb81c21f58faee92c7656.gif

I’m a trustworthy Didba… whatever the hell that is..

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Why must it always be that the QB who wasn't even on the roster the year previously is simply "not playing well" and the other guy can't have improved? The assumption that TJ hasn't improved any at all is extremely apparent amongst some on this Board..

For me it’s because of what I have actually seen with my eyes. The spring game didn’t do much to change that. The simplest solution is in 3 weeks he goes out there and does his thing.

Yes, players can improve but people should be entitled to say what they think based on what they observed. Just like in everyday life there is more merit in something u actually observed versus something u heard.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Didba said:

1A78FE3D-3D10-4E62-B353-3EDA15C2F61B.gif.14fca1c391dcb81c21f58faee92c7656.gif

I’m a trustworthy Didba… whatever the hell that is..

Haha, not trying to be a tease. Had just enough alcohol to not think about other friends reading this. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I think my original comment on this was that we haven't heard anything about TJ looking great in the spring. He knows the offense, but we've heard he's still inconsistent, one pass looks great/3 passes no where close.

I hope TJ has improved a ton. He's got the arm talent and at times can show what he can do passing the ball. 

Think everyone has familiarity bias with TJ. He wasn't good last year. But if we're being honest with ourselves, Calzada was pretty bad too outside a single game.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Think everyone has familiarity bias with TJ. He wasn't good last year. But if we're being honest with ourselves, Calzada was pretty bad too outside a single game.

I think that is why a lot of people, myself included, are hoping Ashford can pull ahead of the pack. We know what we are getting from Finley and Calzada. Sure they can improve, but the chances of either elevating to a top tier SEC QB are slim.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nurbis said:

I think that is why a lot of people, myself included, are hoping Ashford can pull ahead of the pack. We know what we are getting from Finley and Calzada. Sure they can improve, but the chances of either elevating to a top tier SEC QB are slim.

Ashford throws a million interceptions

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I think my original comment on this was that we haven't heard anything about TJ looking great in the spring. He knows the offense, but we've heard he's still inconsistent, one pass looks great/3 passes no where close.

I hope TJ has improved a ton. He's got the arm talent and at times can show what he can do passing the ball. 

But Bo Nix is the worst thing to ever happen to Auburn, right?

• Facepalm 1