Saturday Night Scrimmage Thread

toddc

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

“I like where we’re at”

Agree, the last few years, we were tethered to 1QB and lived or died on offense basis his cowboy play if/when play call did not work  out due to limited options. Offense is more powerful as in more options and much better QB group if needed to move to next choice due to injury/poor performance.

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Think everyone has familiarity bias with TJ. He wasn't good last year. But if we're being honest with ourselves, Calzada was pretty bad too outside a single game.

You should have seen the QB recruiting thread when we were trying to bring in quarterbacks this year from the portal. Harsin was taking a beating when the mere thought of us signing ZC was mentioned. When it happened many were disappointed. Mostly because there were “better” options out there. 
Then what happened was realization set in that he was going to be the man. And that he was playing hurt which may have caused his decline last season. So of course as fans we all feel like once he had surgery and was healthy, he was going to be a top-five pick in the NFL someday. Haha 

Maybe he is just not very good. I guess we will see in a few weeks who starts and who plays well. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

You should have seen the QB recruiting thread when we were trying to bring in quarterbacks this year from the portal. Harsin was taking a beating when the mere thought of us signing ZC was mentioned. When it happened many were disappointed. Mostly because there were “better” options out there. 
Then what happened was realization set in that he was going to be the man. And that he was playing hurt which may have caused his decline last season. So of course as fans we all feel like once he had surgery and was healthy, he was going to be a top-five pick in the NFL someday. Haha 

Maybe he is just not very good. I guess we will see in a few weeks who starts and who plays well. 

I wasn't happy with ZC initially, but convinced myself he could be good.  I guess I was wrong

7 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm gonna make a prediction.  Calzada or Ashford will have a good scrimmage on Friday . It will throw this board into a tailspin wondering what Harsin is gonna do

Honestly? That would be optimal given the amount of meltdown over the insinuations of TJ starting.

Ironically though, this past scrimmage sounds not too dissimilar to A-Day: TJ gets the starting nod, doesn't do terrible but yet Ashford appears to get the offense moving. Meanwhile Calzada remains behind due to injury/playbook familiarity/etc...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

This is fair, but I disagree about the shoulder causing a "decline." Don't get me wrong it obviously hurt him, but even though he was not a good QB last year I thought he was waaaaay better in his last game (LSU) than his first game (Colorado). Seemed to steadily improve all year, but it was from horrible to mediocre so it didn't look sexy.

Which makes the news that he looks totally lost right now surprising. He wasn't good, but he also wasn't a deer in the headlights last year.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:38 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm gonna make a prediction.  Calzada or Ashford will have a good scrimmage on Friday . It will throw this board into a tailspin wondering what Harsin is gonna do

I've had a feeling that was going to happen for about 48 hours. The part about one or the other of those two having a good scrimmage, not that it would throw the board into a tailspin. I mean, it probably would, but that wasn't part of my premonition.

I hope so. I hope they all play well. We need it. 

19 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Honestly? That would be optimal given the amount of meltdown over the insinuations of TJ starting.

Ironically though, this past scrimmage sounds not too dissimilar to A-Day: TJ gets the starting nod, doesn't do terrible but yet Ashford appears to get the offense moving. Meanwhile Calzada remains behind due to injury/playbook familiarity/etc...

Let's be real here, there's been a meltdown of one kind or another just about every time there's been a quarterback battle at Auburn. Everyone has their favorites going into spring and when said favorite performs less than spectacularly, everyone loses their mind. I remember the uproar when Chris Todd started over Kodi Burns in 2009. Hell, I even remember the (small but quite vocal) faction of people who thought Neil Caudle should've gotten the nod over Cam in 2010 based on A-Day.

• Like 1

The complaints about us getting ZC instead of higher rated one, and then getting behind him as a potential winner at QB1 is all merited fandom.  You naturally want the best available, and then you support and root for whoever winds up being on your team.  I find no fault in this.  
Having a preference for who wins the job in fall camp isn’t a bad thing either.   It’s another aspect of fans hoping for what they perceive to be the best scenario for their team.   As long as it doesn’t deteriorate into bad-mouthing our players, or a fight after school in the parking lot, I say carry on and argue away!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I wasn't happy with ZC initially, but convinced myself he could be good.  I guess I was wrong

I'm guilty of becoming enamored with Calzada and what I believe his potential is, but we all knew he struggled with inconsistency at A&M. I have hoped that he would take the next step under Harsin, and hey may well still, but it sounds like Finley has been the most consistent thus far. Going to be interesting to see how it pans out, since it doesn't sound like anyone is running away with this thing. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm guilty of becoming enamored with Calzada and what I believe his potential is, but we all knew he struggled with inconsistency at A&M. I have hoped that he would take the next step under Harsin, and hey may well still, but it sounds like Finley has been the most consistent thus far. Going to be interesting to see how it pans out, since it doesn't sound like anyone is running away with this thing. 

I hope one of them pulls ahead.

I'd love to hear reports of either one taking the next step and being productive consistent vs knowing the offense or best of a meh group.

• Like 1

I hope that happens because personally I don’t think TJ has “it” as a QB. But we’ll see

Perhaps it's more simple than anyone of us believe.  Maybe...small chance...but maaaaaaaybe, coach thinks like this:

Finley - WRs eat
Calzada - TEs eat
Ashford - RBs eat

Thoughts on this kindergarten thought process?  Should I just get back to work?

Edited by kennypowers
Poor execution
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also, it's the longest stretch we've gone w/out a 10 win season since '97 - 2004   

We're due.

19 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Also, it's the longest stretch we've gone w/out a 10 win season since '97 - 2004   

We're due.

Man, I would LOVE another 2004!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I've had a feeling that was going to happen for about 48 hours. The part about one or the other of those two having a good scrimmage, not that it would throw the board into a tailspin. I mean, it probably would, but that wasn't part of my premonition.

Yea, when you really read exactly what Harsin said (rather than responses to what he said) it was clear he is pushing for intimate knowledge of the offense. Sounded like signals to his QB’s rather than identifying a leader. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Perhaps it's more simple than anyone of us believe.  Maybe...small chance...but maaaaaaaybe, coach thinks like this:

Finley - WRs eat
Calzada - TEs eat
Ashford - RBs eat

Thoughts on this kindergarten thought process?  Should I just get back to work?

Not exactly what you are putting forward, but I could definitely see a continuing TJ/ZC battle fir starter with set packages for Ashford.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

Damari Alston apparently has had a very strong Fall camp so far and was great during the scrimmage. I am wondering despite his being a Freshman if he has a legitimate chance to become RB2 ahead of Hunter this year? Apparently he is a complete back can run between tackles, can run outside and is very good as a receiver out of the backfield. Because of that versatility when he comes in unlike sometimes in the past you knew the play based on which player was in.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Damari Alston apparently has had a very strong Fall camp so far and was great during the scrimmage. I am wondering despite his being a Freshman if he has a legitimate chance to become RB2 ahead of Hunter this year? Apparently he is a complete back can run between tackles, can run outside and is very good as a receiver out of the backfield. Because of that versatility when he comes in unlike sometimes in the past you knew the play based on which player was in.

Gotta know the scheme and pick up blitz, etc.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He is not supplanting Jarquez; not this year or next.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Gotta know the scheme and pick up blitz, etc.  

I agree but both Tank and Hunter were able to pick it up enough as freshmen there is no reasom Alston Can't.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree but both Tank and Hunter were able to pick it up enough as freshmen there is no reasom Alston Can't.

I am thinking all 3 will have a chance to shine at times this year 

• Like 2