some separation for QBs after first scrimmage

aubiefifty

I’m reminding myself that Bo showed significant improvement under Hars last year. He was also pulled by Hars from a game when he wasn’t performing. 

I believe this staff will play the best QB on the field giving us the best chance to win. L

• Like 4

12 hours ago, cbo said:

We don't know anything yet, whether the coaches do or not. 

I do trust Harsin to play the best QB. 

I agree he would play the one they thought would give them the best opportunity to have best offense. He seems to have great confidence in his system.

• Like 1

Am I the only one here who thinks it is still way too early to truly tell anything from camp, reporters, or even what Harsin is saying? We knew we were going to have a legit 3 man competition.  We are 1 week in. We have had 1 scrimmage.

After the scrimmage I saw everybody bringing up the fact that ZC was with the 3s and didn't get much time with the 1s as if that is an sure-fire indicator that he must not be doing well and is behind TJ and Ashford. Does anyone think this could be by design?

Do people not believe TJ can get better? Do people not believe ZC can get better?  

All in all, I don't care who wins as long as it gives AU the best chance to win. I wouldn't care if it goes up until week 2 of the season honestly.  Let them fight it out. There will be ebbs and flows throughout this QB race as there always is. Curious how many QB races have  turned out the way people thought they would just a week into camp or after 1 scrimmage.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Am I the only one here who thinks it is still way too early to truly tell anything from camp, reporters, or even what Harsin is saying? We knew we were going to have a legit 3 man competition.  We are 1 week in. We have had 1 scrimmage.

After the scrimmage I saw everybody bringing up the fact that ZC was with the 3s and didn't get much time with the 1s as if that is an sure-fire indicator that he must not be doing well and is behind TJ and Ashford. Does anyone think this could be by design?

Do people not believe TJ can get better? Do people not believe ZC can get better?  

All in all, I don't care who wins as long as it gives AU the best chance to win. I wouldn't care if it goes up until week 2 of the season honestly.  Let them fight it out. There will be ebbs and flows throughout this QB race as there always is. Curious how many QB races have  turned out the way people thought they would just a week into camp or after 1 scrimmage.

To your point much was made during media viewing of practice that TJ was always paired w Tank.. Then the next couple days ZC was paired w tank. Too early to tell

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

It just goes to show that this was a closer battle than most thought, the front runner wasn't as good as most hyped and the scapegoat wasn't as bad as projected. There were a bunch of variables in performances.......

And time for TJ to grow as a player. He showed me his ability when he lasered that throw in OT to keep us in the game against bama on a bad wheel and with all that pressure on him. 

14 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Folks are anti TJ because they have seen him be a 2nd tier QB at 2 different schools now. 

If something clicks and it all comes together then he will show it and people will love him in the improved state. 

If it's the same ol TJ, we all know what we're getting and it isn't good. 

Just like the last few years when people decided to hate Bo the person and not Bo the QB, one can hope and pray TJ isn't our best option without any personal attacks. 

Finley may not be the guy. But to be fair he was 2d tier to a 5 star at LSU, then a 5 Star at Auburn. Whoever gets the starting nod, we will have a clear picture of this team’s potential come third game vs PSU. 

59 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bingo. I listened to podcast from various media types who admittedly weren’t at the scrimmage, who are writing print articles today as if they witnessed the whole thing first hand. Harsin knows what’s at stake this season and bases everything on competition. It’s too early to tell anything definitively from a few select comments and interview snippets. We will know soon enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Finley may not be the guy. But to be fair he was 2d tier to a 5 star at LSU, then a 5 Star at Auburn. Whoever gets the starting nod, we will have a clear picture of this team’s potential come third game vs PSU. 

He was behind Myles Brennan(4*) who has now quit football because he wasn't going to be the starter at LSU this year and split time with Max Johnson(4*) who transfered to TAMU

He did not have to play behind anyone of quality, especially not a 5* at LSU. 

He was a freshman in 2020 so it's expected he wouldn't light up the world. Then last year we got a good look at a kid in his 2nd year of college look just as pedestrian as his time at LSU. 

TJ, as he has performed in games up to this point, is a career college backup.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

He was behind Myles Brennan(4*) who has now quit football because he wasn't going to be the starter at LSU this year and split time with Max Johnson(4*) who transfered to TAMU

He was a freshman in 2020 so it's expected he wouldn't light up the world. Then last year we got a good look at a kid in his 2nd year of college look just as pedestrian as his time at LSU. 

Myles Brennan quit because his multiple injuries basically ruined his career, and he had graduated. Finley was competing with MB before his injuries occurred I believe.  Further, TJ never had a spring football program until 2022. Context is important.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

For what it’s worth. In 2020 TJ beat a USCe team that Bo Nix could not beat. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

For what it’s worth. In 2020 TJ beat a USCe team that Bo Nix could not beat. 🤷🏼‍♂️

This isn't a discussion about bo. Irrelevant and useless to the discussion on the ability of TJ. 

Especially considering that that same loser to USC Bo throughly beat TJ out of the starting job essentially twice last season. Both as opening day starter, then again after the Ga St fiasco. I'll speak no more of Bo in this discussion. 

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Myles Brennan quit because his multiple injuries basically ruined his career, and he had graduated. Finley was competing with MB before his injuries occurred I believe.  Further, TJ never had a spring football program until 2022. Context is important.

He had 1 football injury and a fishing accident. He was talked out of transferring by Kelly. He wasn't some broken person who was a shell of his former glory. You're making excuses. Had he been in line to start he still plays for LSU. He quit because he lost the job. 

Finley wasn't competing with Brennan prior to his 2020 injury.  He was competing for backup with Max Johnson now at TAMU. Brennan was the brightest in a box of 10 watt bulbs. 

As far as his lack of spring, he has 2 seasons of real game playing time and practice reps. Spring is very important but not near as much so as actually strapping it on. His issues are not ones which are fixed in spring ball. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

This isn't a discussion about bo. Irrelevant and useless to the discussion on the ability of TJ. 

Especially considering that that same loser to USC Bo throughly beat TJ out of the starting job essentially twice last season. Both as opening day starter, then again after the Ga St fiasco. I'll speak no more of Bo in this discussion. 

He had 1 football injury and a fishing accident. He was talked out of transferring by Kelly. He wasn't some broken person who was a shell of his former glory. You're making excuses. Had he been in line to start he still plays for LSU. He quit because he lost the job. 

Finley wasn't competing with Brennan prior to his 2020 injury.  He was competing for backup with Max Johnson now at TAMU. Brennan was the brightest in a box of 10 watt bulbs. 

As far as his lack of spring, he has 2 seasons of real game playing time and practice reps. Spring is very important but not near as much so as actually strapping it on. His issues are not ones which are fixed in spring ball. 

I thought it was a fun fact. Sorry it upset you so much. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to some separation for QBs after first scrimmage

Who in their right mind could think TJ is the answer at QB to lead AU to SEC wins.It’s possible but just hard to have much confidence.  I don’t care who the QB is as long as it results in wins.

Edited by beagle34
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Can TJ improve after his first full off-season at Auburn? Yes. But unlike say, Jeremy Johnson for instance, TJ hasn't had a game that inspires an excitement over his untapped potential. JJ took snaps in the paycheck games and first half vs Arkansas and looked like a sniper.... I watched TJ under-throw a 15-yd wheel route live in person.

And I realize there's a good deal of hyperbole and biased revisionist history in my analysis, but I'm skeptical of TJ's "it factor". And as a team, we are not in a position yet where our ground game and defense can will us to 8, 9, 10+ wins. We need better than average quarterback play.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

Not excuses. Just what I've read from multiple LSU fans but I'm sure you are more correct about one of their players then they are. I would post more screenshots but I'm pretty busy at work today. 

4B87FE3E-9D74-4B8E-820F-628B7C8156FA.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Didba said:

Not excuses. Just what I've read from multiple LSU fans but I'm sure you are more correct about one of their players then they are. I would post more screenshots but I'm pretty busy at work today. 

4B87FE3E-9D74-4B8E-820F-628B7C8156FA.png

He is a 60% completion guy. He couldn't run. He was barely their best guy in 2020 and was 3rd in line this season before he quit. 

I watched his film with a D1 OC and QB coach when he entered the portal last year with the US potential of offering him. Idgaf what some random fan says. Especially since you own screenshot talks about him being strung along when better QBs were on the team.

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Too early to tell BUT we can't minimize the fact that TJ outplayed the other QBs. Next scrimmage, it may be ZC or RA that shines. Personally, I don't care who starts the first 2 games, as long as we've got our guy by game 3(PSU) and beyond.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

Charlie Trottman told Bill Cameron that Calzada "struggled to throw a spiral."  Someone please tell War Rapport that we have a QB issue. 

I can't imagine War Rapport not going down with the ship when it comes to Calzada lol