some separation for QBs after first scrimmage

aubiefifty

5 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Can TJ improve after his first full off-season at Auburn? Yes. But unlike say, Jeremy Johnson for instance, TJ hasn't had a game that inspires an excitement over his untapped potential. JJ took snaps in the paycheck games and first half vs Arkansas and looked like a sniper.... I watched TJ under-throw a 15-yd wheel route live in person.

And I realize there's a good deal of hyperbole and biased revisionist history in my analysis, but I'm skeptical of TJ's "it factor". And as a team, we are not in a position yet where our ground game and defense can will us to 8, 9, 10+ wins. We need better than average quarterback play.

Which also speaks poorly of our QB room if Finley is the best of the lot.  This is the most important decision of Harsins coaching career. He has to get it right

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I can't imagine War Rapport not going down with the ship when it comes to Calzada lol 

They hype Finley as much if not more than Calzada

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

He is a 60% completion guy. He couldn't run. He was barely their best guy in 2020 and was 3rd in line this season before he quit. 

I watched his film with a D1 OC and QB coach when he entered the portal last year with the US potential of offering him. Idgaf what some random fan says. Especially since you own screenshot talks about him being strung along when better QBs were on the team.

I don’t even think Finley is that great, has potential but very inconsistent. I just don’t think he is as terrible as some of y’all make it out. 

• Love 1

Just now, Didba said:

I just don’t think he is as terrible as some of y’all make it out

And even if he was, give him the benefit of the doubt with regards to improving. He had another year in the system, another year with S&C, another year being coached correctly, another year with teammates, etc. There is a real possibility that throughout this off-season, TJ improved.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Didba said:

They hype Finley as much if not more than Calzada

I did not think they hyped finkey. I think they hyped letting Coaching staff nake the decision, especially if that was the way you rolled last year when he chose Nix instead of Finley.

Edited by Hank2020

15 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I did not think they hyped finkey. I think they hyped letting Coaching staff nake the decision, especially if that was the way you rolled last year when he chose Nix instead of Finley.

I personally think they said little of Calzada to get his attention and get him to pick it up. They want him as the starter. If it works great. Let’s see what the next scrimmage presser sounds like from Harsin. 

I am guessing it will sound totally different about the QBs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

And even if he was, give him the benefit of the doubt with regards to improving. He had another year in the system, another year with S&C, another year being coached correctly, another year with teammates, etc. There is a real possibility that throughout this off-season, TJ improved.

I have said it's very possible TJ has improved. BUT, it wasn't shown in the Spring Game. He was way too inconsistent.  Maybe there has been improvement since then. If there hasn't been much improvement and TJ is the best we got, then we got a boatload of trouble this season 

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I personally think they said little of Calzada to get his attention and get him to pick it up. They want him as the starter. If it works great. Let’s see what the next scrimmage presser sounds like from Harsin. 

I am guessing it will sound totally different about the QBs. 

Very possible. Reverse psychology 

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I guess hype isn’t the right word. They talked up Finley’s ability to work and improve just like Calzada could work and improve 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I have said it's very possible TJ has improved. BUT, it wasn't shown in the Spring Game. He was way too inconsistent.  Maybe there has been improvement since then. If there hasn't been much improvement and TJ is the best we got, then we got a boatload of trouble this season 

You're not wrong 

15 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

He is a 60% completion guy.

I'd kill for a 60% comp guy

Ya'll seen our QBs the last 3 years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Didba said:

I don’t even think Finley is that great, has potential but very inconsistent. I just don’t think he is as terrible as some of y’all make it out. 

Exactly.

He wasn't good last year and time has passed. That's what we know. The rest is all just bitter taste syndrome. He may never reach his potential but then again, he just as well could.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

TJ had an interview yesterday and talk about some of the struggles he had last year.  Moving from spread to and under center pro style offense.  Said that was a big adjustment and he feels more comfortable now.  Could be BS?  Maybe, IDK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

TJ had an interview yesterday and talk about some of the struggles he had last year.  Moving from spread to and under center pro style offense.  Said that was a big adjustment and he feels more comfortable now.  Could be BS?  Maybe, IDK

Familiarity has to lead to some kind of improvement from last year's floor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Familiarity has to lead to some kind of improvement from last year's floor.

The host was asking and saying he looked better, more crisp, as a Tr Fr than he did last year.  Honestly think he probably did look worse.  His TrFr year he at least hit some deep balls

Hopefully there is some true to that.  

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The host was asking and saying he looked better, more crisp, as a Tr Fr than he did last year.  Honestly think he probably did look worse.  His TrFr year he at least hit some deep balls

Hopefully there is some true to that.  

The way I feel about it is... no may who starts, I have confidence that CBH believes them to be superior on some level.  I trust his evaluation and will fully support whomever takes the job. All 3 have good stories and personas to rally behind.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly.

He wasn't good last year and time has passed. That's what we know. The rest is all just bitter taste syndrome. He may never reach his potential but then again, he just as well could.

Band name????

• Love 2

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

There's also a world of difference between being a backup pressed into service for a sinking ship of an offense whose coaches aren't on the same page and, assuming he's the starter, starting fresh for a clearly more cohesive offensive staff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Charlie Trottman told Bill Cameron that Calzada "struggled to throw a spiral."  Someone please tell War Rapport that we have a QB issue. 

Trottman wouldn't recognize a spiral if he saw one.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Trottman wouldn't recognize a spiral if he saw one.

I thought the same thing. When he was our QB we threw about 10 times a game. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It’s also possible he’s better as a spread qb and learning under center pro style he may never feel comfortable in. He certainly didn’t feel comfortable last year but all we have is ‘HOPE’ he is smart enough to adapt and learn to be succcessful in an offense he’s never played in until last year?

• Like 1