Auburn extends offer to top ranked JUCO offensive tackle

aubiefifty

Auburn extends offer to top ranked JUCO offensive tackle

JD McCarthy
2-3 minutes

Auburn signed an elite junior college class last season. The Tigers landed the No. 1 overall player (Jeffrey M’ba), the No. 1 cornerback (Keionte Scott), and the No. 1 safety (Marquise Gilbert).

The Tigers are once again going after the best talent in the junior college ranks, on Friday they extended an offer to four-star offensive tackle Isaiah Jatta.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The San Diego, California native is ranked as the No. 1 offensive tackle in junior college in the 247Sports composite ranking. He is also the No. 3 overall player.

While the 6-foot-6, 310-pound Jatta is committed to SEC rival South Carolina, he is a former teammate of Scott’s, both attended Snow College last season.

Bryan Harsin has acknowledged that the coaching staff is not afraid to keep recruiting players who are committed elsewhere. They already successfully flipped four-star edge ashley williams from Nebraska, and doing so with Jetta would be massive for the class.

Another thing the Tigers may have going for them is that Jatta could come in and immediately compete for a starting spot. Four of the Tiger’s offensive tackles are seniors and could potentially move on after the 2022 season.

Auburn is looking to sign multiple offensive tackles in the 2023 signing class and is expected to pursue high school recruits, JUCO players, and transfers. The Tigers currently have a commitment from four-star interior offensive lineman Bradyn Joiner but are still looking for their first tackle.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

• Like 2

If memory serves, current AU offensive tackles Zierer and Coffey were the #1 and 3 ranked JUCO O-linemen when they were signed by Auburn. Thus, there are serviceable players in the JUCO ranks. I hope we can pull some in.

• Like 3

This could be a huge get! Let's hope our staff has the chops to pull it off! 

I'd love to sit down and check out some of his film. Does anyone know if he has anything up on YouTube or somewhere else that's accessible? 

49 minutes ago, mountaincorgi said:

we should never be outdone by South Carolina on any recruit. 

They were right behind us in 22 and are obviously ahead of us for 23. Beamer is excellent recruiter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mountaincorgi said:

I think he’s already beat us a few times for recruits. He’s a good recruiter

• Like 1

I went out and did a search on the 2023 OT recruits nationally and found that there are many still available across the country. I wonder if we are looking into any of these?  I saw that we were looking into some of these.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=OT

12 hours ago, mountaincorgi said:

I went out and did a search on the 2023 OT recruits nationally and found that there are many still available across the country. I wonder if we are looking into any of these?  I saw that we were looking into some of these.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=OT

Yes, there are still some uncommitted. But now look at how many are already committed elsewhere. The vast majority are spoken for. We're fishing in a pond that has had 85 to 90% of the big fish already taken out.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Yes, there are still some uncommitted. But now look at how many are already committed elsewhere. The vast majority are spoken for. We're fishing in a pond that has had 85 to 90% of the big fish already taken out.

You told us that there weren’t any left.

• Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

There are several that could be flips. A fair amount of commits are to schools that are of lesson schools where we would be a major upgrade.  We are at a point to where we need big bodies that could come in a fill openings that are coming in 2023.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:08 PM, mountaincorgi said:

We should never be outdone by South Carolina on the field either but.....

12 hours ago, provibe said:

You told us that there weren’t any left.

No, I didn't say any such thing. Now, you post a link to where I said that. It's put up or shut up time for you.

Several days ago I found six O-linemen on the Rivals 250 that were not committed. That's not O-tackles, that's all O-linemen. I suppose there are plenty that aren't on the Rivals 250 but normally they'd be more suitable for North Alabama, Ga. State or Junior College.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, I didn't say any such thing. Now, you post a link to where I said that. It's put up or shut up time for you.

Several days ago I found six O-linemen on the Rivals 250 that were not committed. That's not O-tackles, that's all O-linemen. I suppose there are plenty that aren't on the Rivals 250 but normally they'd be more suitable for North Alabama, Ga. State or Junior College.

That may be a good thing. Look up this years NFL draft first round. Multiple o linemen landed in the first round and the majority of them came from schools like Chattanooga, Northern Iowa, and Tulsa. My guess is none of them were highly rated in high school. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

That may be a good thing. Look up this years NFL draft first round. Multiple o linemen landed in the first round and the majority of them came from schools like Chattanooga, Northern Iowa, and Tulsa. My guess is none of them were highly rated in high school. 

It's been discussed forever here. Exceptions in the case of individuals can always be found, but the teams that win championships have had their recruiting classes ranked near the top.

I don't think a successful SEC O-line can be built by the coaches going out and flipping committed kids away from UT-Chattanooga.

45 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's been discussed forever here. Exceptions in the case of individuals can always be found, but the teams that win championships have had their recruiting classes ranked near the top.

I don't think a successful SEC O-line can be built by the coaches going out and flipping committed kids away from UT-Chattanooga.

Maybe our new NFL talent scouts can help us find those guys.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I didn’t say we could win championships flipping kids from Chattanooga. I’m saying there are a lot recruits out there that aren’t highly rated that become big contributors. O line happens to be the one position that most agree is the hardest to predict upside. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I didn’t say we could win championships flipping kids from Chattanooga. I’m saying there are a lot recruits out there that aren’t highly rated that become big contributors. O line happens to be the one position that most agree is the hardest to predict upside. 

Well then, how does AU go about finding these under rated guys that nobody else can identify? If, say, one in every 500 2* prospects develops into an NFL-type player, how do we know who that one guy is?

Somebody at AU identified Ben Grubbs but that was exactly 20 years ago. That's a long time to wait between finding Diamonds in the Rough. Even today, people still call Grubbs's name up as a success story. Therefore, such stories are not commonplace.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well then, how does AU go about finding these under rated guys that nobody else can identify?

Maybe we could use professional NFL scouts with years of experience identifying underated players. I mean if it works for the pros...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well then, how does AU go about finding these under rated guys that nobody else can identify?

We just need to take a chance on a few, get them in the door and develop the hell out of them and see what happens.  Lord knows we have the room this year. 

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well then, how does AU go about finding these under rated guys that nobody else can identify? If, say, one in every 500 2* prospects develops into an NFL-type player, how do we know who that one guy is?

Somebody at AU identified Ben Grubbs but that was exactly 20 years ago. That's a long time to wait between finding Diamonds in the Rough. Even today, people still call Grubbs's name up as a success story. Therefore, such stories are not commonplace.

You made the point that most of the offensive line prospects from the top 250 had already committed. All I’m saying is there is a large number of prospects beyond the top 250 who will go on to develop into very good football players. You don’t have to go back to Ben Grubbs to come up with an example. That was your example.  My example was extremely current. There  were nine offensive lineman drafted in the first round of this most recent NFL draft. Seven of those were not Top prospects out of high school. Those seven were good enough to be drafted in the first round of the NFL draft. I never claimed Auburn could, would, or had to get all of them. They don’t even have to get all of the ones who are first round draft picks. But there are plenty of good offensive line prospects that Auburn will have the potential to sign this cycle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe we could use professional NFL scouts with years of experience identifying underated players. I mean if it works for the pros...

Apparently we're going to need them since we cannot attract the more highly rated prospects.

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

We just need to take a chance on a few, get them in the door and develop the hell out of them and see what happens.  Lord knows we have the room this year. 

One thing for certain. We have room!

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

But there are plenty of good offensive line prospects that Auburn will have the potential to sign this cycle. 

I hope you are correct because it's time to start getting some on campus for visits. That early signing day isn't that far away and most of the teams we hope to compete with have pretty much already got their guys committed.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Apparently we're going to need them since we cannot attract the more highly rated prospects.

6 out 7 are four * and JC has a real chance to get his 4th. Again, way to support the team and players.

• Like 3