Auburn extends offer to top ranked JUCO offensive tackle

aubiefifty

On 8/20/2022 at 11:23 PM, Mikey said:

No, I didn't say any such thing. Now, you post a link to where I said that. It's put up or shut up time for you.

Several days ago I found six O-linemen on the Rivals 250 that were not committed. That's not O-tackles, that's all O-linemen. I suppose there are plenty that aren't on the Rivals 250 but normally they'd be more suitable for North Alabama, Ga. State or Junior College.

By the end of the recruiting cycle, there will be between 400 and 500 players who are rated 4 stars. New players are added in at certain intervals as talent evaluations progress. And there are a ton of 3 star prospects who turn out great. Ben Grubbs was a 3 star when he was recruited out of Elmore County High School. He only went on to play for nearly a decade in the NFL. Pretty sure he made a couple of Pro Bowls, too.

Honestly, I question the pursuit of JUCO O-linemen (and this isn't the only one we're after), even those rated as highly as the guys we're looking at, but if we can sign some high schoolers, as well, and develop them while the more seasoned JUCO guys take care of things for a couple of years, I'm satisfied.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Ben Grubbs was a 3 star when he was recruited out of Elmore County High School. He only went on to play for nearly a decade in the NFL. Pretty sure he made a couple of Pro Bowls, too.

You're too late on this. I had already mentioned Ben Grubbs. I did include the fact that that was 20 years ago and 20 years is a long time to wait for another such diamond in the rough. I also think he was a 2* but that may depend on what service is being looked at.

There may end up being 400 to 500 four stars. Will the Rivals 250 change very much? If they aren't on that list now I don't see many passing those who are. The recruiting services have watered down the * ratings a lot. I think to sell subscriptions. Years ago there weren't nearly that many 4* players.

The sad situation is that we are reduced to bottom fishing or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Our competitors and similar teams have skimmed the cream off the top and now we are forced to hang our hopes on scouts being able to pick jewels from among the pebbles.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:03 PM, Mikey said:

that was 20 years ago and 20 years is a long time to wait for another such diamond in the rough.

So, you’re saying we’re due for a few more diamonds in the rough.   I’m more encouraged about our OL future than I was.   Thank you Mikey!

• Haha 1