Friday Scrimmage: TJ Finley QB1

W.E.D

With another strong scrimmage, Finley adds to lead in Auburn QB race

10 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn’s offensive staff isn’t expecting a simple decision.

But it’s one that probably has to come sooner rather than later.

With two scrimmages down, as of Friday, and 13 practices completed overall in the preseason, the Tigers are one of a few remaining programs across college football yet to name a starter at quarterback between T.J. Finley, Robby Ashford and Zach Calzada. All three took first-team reps Friday.

Next week will begin to blend some season-opener prep for Mercer. Then it’ll be game week. Offensive coordinator Eric Kiesauisn’t sure if there’s enough data just yet; the coaches will start reviewing the film from scrimmage No. 2 on Friday night. 

But during that film study, he and Bryan Harsin want to see someone stand out from the crowd.

“It’s going to be a hard one,” Kiesau said Friday evening. “I can tell you that right now. They’ve all kind of played really well, and we’ve gotta see who’s going to step out in front a little bit after tonight.”

In terms of a projected leader, the clear favorite at the moment is the returning junior Finley, who started three games last season after Bo Nix’s injury. According to teammates and coaches, the 6-foot-7 former LSU transfer has improved in nearly every facet of his game this offseason.

At the beginning of camp, Kiesau in particular saw a spark set Finley ablaze — where he began to feel the weight of a three-man competition, which included two new transfers Auburn brought in, set in.

“The funny thing was when we started practicing, and then we put another quarterback with the first team — that got him,” Kiesau said. “Because that hit home. It was like, 'Oh, I'm not taking these reps. I'm not with the 1s. This guy is going to get a chance.' … He was a little upset at first. We kind of had to talk through it a little bit. Once he got through that, and he understood it's all about competition and being the best guy on the field that's going to make all of us better, he embraced it.”

As has been the case for most of camp, Finley was praised for being the most effective quarterback in Friday’s scrimmage.

“Again, I need to watch the film to really evaluate it,” Kiesau said. “My feel, my gut, just without watching it, just from calling the game, was just T.J had a really good command. He had a lot of precision. He checked some plays for us and got us in the right play, which is good.”

Many presumed Calzada, who went 6-4 at Texas A&M last year, as the eventual starter at Auburn. And he very well still could be.

But reading between the lines throughout the preseason — from what coaches, teammates and others have said, and what reporters have observed at practice — Finley is taking advantage of his, well, prior advantages over a player like Calzada, who didn’t participate in the spring because of a shoulder injury, and is still settling in with a new system.

“We've got to keep bringing him along,” Kiesau said. “... He has good days and bad days. We've got to kind of keep him consistent as we go through.”

Ashford, the Oregon transfer who’s yet to take a college snap in two seasons, represents a wild card candidate for the quarterback room — the only QB with true dual-threat abilities. But the former four-star prospect from Hoover, Alabama, has seen an uptick in his passing efficiency, as well, in the preseason.

“He's doing a better job maturing in the position,” Kiesau said. “He's really athletic. He can really run. But he's starting to play the quarterback position, which is important.”

Auburn will practice Saturday morning inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

28 minutes ago, metafour said:

From what I've heard, none of the three have been great, but TJ has been the "best/most consistent". Ashford has the most upside. No one expected Calzada to look this off/behind.

I guess that's what happens when you lose your starting QB and replace him with A&M's third-string guy. Harsin should have aimed much higher, and I said this about a thousand times by now.

Harsin did aim higher, he just missed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, metafour said:

From what I've heard, none of the three have been great, but TJ has been the "best/most consistent". Ashford has the most upside. No one expected Calzada to look this off/behind.

I guess that's what happens when you lose your starting QB and replace him with A&M's third-string guy. Harsin should have aimed much higher, and I said this about a thousand times by now.

I specially remember being lambasted and called negative for even bringing up the idea that Zach Calzada is not good enough to be our only QB target in the portal. So I feel your pain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah, I remember the same. At least, that's what I think I remember being said. 

At this point? Who the hell really knows. 

I do believe we tried. 

image.jpeg.dccf1d464a334d9c2e4ddaad9a9e1528.jpeg

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, metafour said:

I think a lot of it is on the mental game. Reports are TJ has been really sharp on that side of it. He knows the playbook, knows where his guys need to be, and knows where to go. Getting the ball there in the right spot is a different story of course..but sounds like he is improved. ZC not having spring hurt him and I think he may have thought he was going to walk in and ZC and Robby hand him QB1. Just my own speculation.

22 minutes ago, Didba said:

Rumor is a freak non-football injury to his throwing shoulder...  I have heard it from multiple places, only reason I repeat it.

I have heard this, too. Something has had him off. HAte for him if true. Hope he gets healthy and buckles down to help elevate this team. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, metafour said:

You said it 1000 times, talking to basically 2x4’s, so it didn’t do any good.

51 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

The full quote sounds even better for TJ. 

Favorite line: "he's starting to play the quarterback position, which is important."

I'm no SEC OC, but that's one of the first things I look for as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

This is great news for our secondary depth @bigbird don’t you think?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Did Holden get any reps?  If so, how did he look?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Did Holden get any reps?  If so, how did he look?

This is what I want to know.  Seems like he could challenge for the job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks live to beat their chest over ancient posts, all in the name of trying to convince other folks how smart they are for being " right"

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

Pretty concerning that TJ had the best scrimmage and distanced the lead when he allegedly threw a pick to Ausberry. It is what it is. I have to eat crow. Did not foresee Calzada being this bad at all. I think TJ has probably improved, and is a great guy. Will cheer like hell for him. Just don't see his fit in this offense though.

Hopefully we see all 3 get reps vs Mercer and possibly San Jose at this point. See who does well when the real bullets fly. Because you never know whose a practice warrior and whose a gamer. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Favorite line: "he's starting to play the quarterback position, which is important."

I'm no SEC OC, but that's one of the first things I look for as well. 

•  

in the straightest norm voice ever, "reports from practice also say he has even begun to throw the ball, wow... look at him come along, next he will even complete a pass!"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Pretty concerning that TJ had the best scrimmage and distanced the lead when he allegedly threw a pick to Ausberry. It is what it is. I have to eat crow. Did not foresee Calzada being this bad at all. I think TJ has probably improved, and is a great guy. Will cheer like hell for him. Just don't see his fit in this offense though.

Hopefully we see all 3 get reps vs Mercer and possibly San Jose at this point. See who does well when the real bullets fly. Because you never know whose a practice warrior and whose a gamer. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Don't know the scenario but I'm pretty sure the D knows damn near every play the O runs. Then again, he might have just thrown a bad pass. I do think we see all 3 QBs during the Mercer game and at least the 1st half of San Jose St. 

It’s not just about QB performance. Hopefully our WR and Oline group will see some noticeable improvement from last year to help the QB along. 

if those 2 groups haven’t improved much then we’ll probably have a very up and down season. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Went back and watched his passes from the spring game and posted in the other thread.  Was actually solid. Should have ad 69% comp and 3 TDs and a 10yd A/A. Numbers we haven't seen in a long time

Not to throw cold water on you but I remember 2 passes where TJ got good yardage AFTER he had been sacked spring game wise. They let the play continue.  So we can hardly count those.

• Like 1