Friday Scrimmage: TJ Finley QB1

W.E.D

4 hours ago, cbo said:

Doesn't sound great for Calzada. 

My TAMU Buddy said he was very inconsistent for Aggies. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

It's both sad and comical how our "fanbase" has gotten behind our perceived starting QB! 

Hey, hey hey. We are 100% behind our starting QB, no matter who he is, until we are not. Or he loses a game, whichever comes first.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, toddc said:

The funny thing was when we started practicing, and then we put another quarterback with the first team — that got him,” Kiesau said. “Because that hit home. It was like, 'Oh, I'm not taking these reps. I'm not with the 1s. This guy is going to get a chance.' … He was a little upset at first. We kind of had to talk through it a little bit. Once he got through that, and he understood it's all about competition and being the best guy on the field that's going to make all of us better, he embraced it.”

This gets me pretty excited. I hope this is the case. 

I really think the competition will continue on through the first couple of games.  Let’s see who looks best when the real action starts.  Whoever it is just needs to be the best the day PSU shows up and that’s another month away.  A lot can happen between now and then.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Not to throw cold water on you but I remember 2 passes where TJ got good yardage AFTER he had been sacked spring game wise. They let the play continue.  So we can hardly count those.

This is true. 

15 minutes ago, woodford said:

We will see in a couple of weeks 

Kurt.gif.65bf42f34dc7420364a2576221c791a9.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cbo said:

Favorite line: "he's starting to play the quarterback position, which is important."

I'm no SEC OC, but that's one of the first things I look for as well. 

I read this in Norm’s voice 🤣

• Haha 2

The wait and see approach is one thing, But the pure disappointment from some. Can't wait till this group prove their worst enemies wrong and it some of their own fans.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Didba said:

Rumor is a freak non-football injury to his throwing shoulder...  I have heard it from multiple places, only reason I repeat it.

This wasn't supposed to get out but Calzada hurt his shoulder trying to get TJs helmet to him as he was riding off on his moped... Now you know the rest of the story. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Non throwing though, right?

But that does come with a period of immobility, 6-8 weeks or so, where only light lifting with the throwing shoulder.  There are other techniques to maintain neuromuscular control but not the same obviously.  

I don’t care who the starter is, as I’m confident with this staff it’s the one who has shown to be most effective.  TJ is raw, so everyday with a good coach is huge.  Not sure why the angst, he may not be great or even average.  That just means we are lacking in talent and he is the best we have.  Looking forward to seeing his growth, and possibly a package for Ashford as he can do things with his legs others can’t.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Not so hot take-  non of our QBs were very good or have vastly improved. 

This is what i tend to believe. Outside of Ashford b/c he certainly has room to improve his passing.

TJs success will depend on how quick he can get rid of the ball. 
As a QB who is not as fleet of foot, he will struggle mightily if our OL cannot perform at an SEC level.

• Like 4

Just keep the throws low TJ. Also Tank isn't hurt from the sound of it, just wanting to get reps for others and protect him.

Edited by Randman5000

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Reading Al.com's Fri scrimmage quotes, sounds like the D is worried most when Robby's out there.

Got to account for that athleticism..Probably can Tee off against Finley. That is probably what worries me the most. 

• Like 2

We had a backup starter and we went out and signed another backup starter. If there's disappointment from some, it comes from the over-hyping of Calzada based on, more or less, one game. We're not strong at the QB spot. That's a fact whether Finley, Calzada or Ashford start. We're going to have to win game with strong defense and limiting mistakes. No one is going in there to sling it. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, toddc said:

This is great news for our secondary depth @bigbird don’t you think?

I've already stated my thoughts about this group. There is so much talent available. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

If true, GREAT for TJ! I'm with him 110%. I still believe that the first 2 games will serve as an extended evaluation period for the QBs. Think all 3 will play against Mercer, unless ZC is just too injured to risk it.

I don't expect to see anyone else take snaps except TJ.  Our QB1 needs all the live reps he can get between now and Penn State.  Ashford might get some mop up duty in a blowout win or situational work around the goal line... maybe.  That's just my read about Harsin fwiw.:wareagle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Finley is in his third season of CFB, with a years worth of starts under his belt. He has likely improved his accuracy some and command of the playbook a lot, which will help. Not much can be done to improve his mobility. If he ends up being much more consistent than last year, he can be a solid QB1 for us. He’s the safe choice. I’ve seen less talented QBs lead us to big seasons. Ashford can run like the wind and move the chains with his athleticism. But it sounds like his passing and decision making are behind Finley. With him you will get highlight plays one drive, and key mistakes the next. (aka Bo). Whoever is under center will need above average performance from the o line and WRs to succeed. Get that and this team can be pretty good. Don’t get that and it’s going to be a long season. Either way, I’m all in on this team and ready for some football. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The support for the team is sad and some of the support for individuals on our team is just pathetic. This isn't an individual game and shouldn't be cheered for like it is.  If TJ has improved enough to fight off the others then that's a positive and shouldn't be discounted or played out as if it's a bad thing. Support the team, cheer that TJ took the most of his opportunity, stop pissing on everything because "your guy" lost out.  Get behind the coaches, get behind the players, and get behind this TEAM.

That's what I'm saying. We've got what we've got, so let's go play. I just wish we could wait to fire coaches and whine about individual players ( that play for the team we are supposed to be fans of ) until the season gets underway. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Didba said:

Rumor is a freak non-football injury to his throwing shoulder...  I have heard it from multiple places, only reason I repeat it.

One should avoid hitting a tennis racket as hard as possible when recovering from shoulder injury

• Like 1