Friday Scrimmage: TJ Finley QB1

W.E.D

10 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Not to throw cold water on you but I remember 2 passes where TJ got good yardage AFTER he had been sacked spring game wise. They let the play continue.  So we can hardly count those.

One was incomplete and one was like 10 yards.  So he should have been

13/17 71% Comp%

Over 200yds

2 or 3 TDs

One pick.

Seems good. But he over threw the TE once. No NFL qb ever does that

• Like 2

The closeness of this team reminds one of the good Dye years.   The vibe in the locker room is as important, if not more so, than whether the QB competes 65% or 58% of his passes.  Harsin and staff have won this team over, and everyone inside the building is pulling in the same direction.  Doesn't mean we will 9 or 10 games, but it sure sets us up for success.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The closeness of this team reminds one of the good Dye years.   The vibe in the locker room is as important, if not more so, than whether the QB competes 65% or 58% of his passes.  Harsin and staff have won this team over, and everyone inside the building is pulling in the same direction.  Doesn't mean we will 9 or 10 games, but it sure sets us up for success.

I was thinking more of Jetgate. Not saying we'll get the same results but....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Hey, hey hey. We are 100% behind our starting QB, no matter who he is, until we are not. Or he loses a game, whichever comes first.

50/50 and that's being generous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

13/17 71% Comp%

Over 200yds

2 or 3 TDs

One pick.

I will also give you your flowers on ZC. I imagine being injured is hard to overcome so I don’t want  over critique , however, I guess we shouldn’t be that surprised on how things are playing out. I’m limited on film of ZC past year but the outside looking in, his stats were very pedestrian for the team that he was on. I imagine you can throw out a lot of analytics and do a deep dive as to why that’s not fair to look at solely and I would agree to an extent . Still, the numbers don’t lie. Not giving up on me. Just saying it makes sense, all things considered.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This is what i tend to believe. Outside of Ashford b/c he certainly has room to improve his passing.

The others don’t have room to improve their passing? You seem to be saying as Ashford is worst thrower, he is only one that can improve?

After Watching season highlights that Fitty posted.  I am somewhat encouraged with the QB play.  I had stuck in my mind how immobile TJ was when he was injured.  He had a few get away moves that I had forgotten about early in the season.

We've all known him to have a rocket arm.  The throws on the highlight film give me pause for optimism.  He is one more year in the system, has a coach that should play to his strengths, and has been coached up for another year.  Bo showed marked improvement after one year with this coaching staff. I see no reason to believe that TJ want equally show improvement.  One things for sure! He ain't gonna leave the pocket too early.

At this moment, mark me: Optimistic

• Like 6

11 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Not so hot take-  none of our QBs were very good or have vastly improved. 

Is this something that you have witnessed this fall yourself?

24 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn fans haven’t been 100% behind a starting QB since 2017 lol 

And they weren’t then until start if season and saw Stidham’s potential, even though it did not fit the Gus’s offense.

1 minute ago, AUGoo said:

After Watching season highlights that Fitty posted.  I am somewhat encouraged with the QB play.  I had stuck in my mind how immobile TJ was when he was injured.  He had a few get away moves that I had forgotten about early in the season.

We've all known him to have a rocket arm.  The throws on the highlight film give me pause for optimism.  He is one more year in the system, has a coach that should play to his strengths, and has been coached up for another year.  Bo showed marked improvement after one year with this coaching staff. I see no reason to believe that TJ want equally show improvement.  One things for sure! He ain't gonna leave the pocket too early.

At this moment, mark me: Optimistic

If T.J. Finley could be Ryan Mallet like that would be phenomenal. However, it is not all up to him.

• Like 4

I don't understand the piling on of Calzada.

He's injured. Should be no expectations, because there is nothing he can do until that is fixed.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

If T.J. Finley could be Ryan Mallet like that would be phenomenal. However, it is not all up to him.

Agreed.  

Hopefully, at that point we can quit bitching about the QB spot and focus our ire in a different direction.

• Like 1

All of you need to give TJ a chance.   He picked up Bo when he had his usually derps last year.   Didn't bail on us when faced with competition.  Beat out a talented QB in RH and a seasoned vet in Calzada.   He doesn't have to be Bryce Young.  We just need a smart efficient QB.  Let our running game win for us. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, cbo said:

I got all the reactions!

A rare feat, like hitting for the cycle. 

C0BCEDC7-B970-4DCA-BB3A-3394ED689927.jpeg

The coveted grand slam.  I thought it was just a myth.  

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn fans haven’t been 100% behind a starting QB since 2017 lol 

I think it started with Sean White vs JF3 or JJ

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The coveted grand slam.  I thought it was just a myth.  

They are the unicorn and I'm always amazed at the one dislike then realize it's usually Mikey or 24

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It can be traced back even further. I remember my drunk uncle yelling for Josh Sullivan to start over Jason Campbell back in 2003. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

13/17 71% Comp%

Over 200yds

2 or 3 TDs

One pick.

I thought I remembered about a 25-30 yd pass down to the 10-15 yd line as having occurred after an A-day qb sack.

And should have been two picks with a badly overthrown pass dropped by the db.  Not dogging you at all I want the best qb out there and if TJ has improved very significantly then he could flourish in the job. If not then we know what he is.

29 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

I thought I remembered about a 25-30 yd pass down to the 10-15 yd line as having occurred after an A-day qb sack.

And should have been two picks with a badly overthrown pass dropped by the db.  Not dogging you at all I want the best qb out there and if TJ has improved very significantly then he could flourish in the job. If not then we know what he is.

There was one batted down by an DB with an outstretched arm and the wobbly pass that was dropped.

He should have had one pick, he had 0

5 hours ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

I was thinking more of Jetgate. Not saying we'll get the same results but....

The difference level of talent between then and now is crazy. Both in an Auburn to Auburn comparison as well as Auburn vs the rest. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CCTAU said:

TJs success will depend on how quick he can get rid of the ball. 
As a QB who is not as fleet of foot, he will struggle mightily if our OL cannot perform at an SEC level.

Hopefully, knowing the offense as well as he (reportedly) does will help a lot in that regard.

And you are absolutely correct about the OL.

Edited by homersapien

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Finley is in his third season of CFB, with a years worth of starts under his belt. He has likely improved his accuracy some and command of the playbook a lot, which will help. Not much can be done to improve his mobility. If he ends up being much more consistent than last year, he can be a solid QB1 for us. He’s the safe choice. I’ve seen less talented QBs lead us to big seasons. Ashford can run like the wind and move the chains with his athleticism. But it sounds like his passing and decision making are behind Finley. With him you will get highlight plays one drive, and key mistakes the next. (aka Bo). Whoever is under center will need above average performance from the o line and WRs to succeed. Get that and this team can be pretty good. Don’t get that and it’s going to be a long season. Either way, I’m all in on this team and ready for some football.

All I really want from our QB (and receivers) this year is to generate enough of a passing threat to force defenses to play us honestly and not load the box against our running game.  

If we can generate a balanced offense we should overachieve this year with just average OL play. 

No worries with the D.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Wasn’t there a “C Mosley or K Frazier” era, where Chizik wouldn’t announce the starter to make the opposing D Coordinator prepare for both? 😅

• Haha 1