2023 4 star Daquayvious Sorey commits to Auburn!!

Sizzle

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Why, even when we are on the verge of getting 4 * talent, folks like u complain or think there is something else " going on" with them

Because being right about Harsin is more important to him than Auburn being a successful program.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Give me a jilted 4 star receiver with something to prove over a 5 star who looked like Tarazan and played like Jane aka Nate Craig-Myers. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Give me a jilted 4 star receiver with something to prove over a 5 star who looked like Tarazan and played like Jane aka Nate Craig-Myers. 

Respectfully, not sure about the Nate  Craig- Myers analog. He rarely got to show case his skills and did more blocking than anything . Eli got more shine because of his jet sweep ability. Nate was in the wrong offense 

Edited by e808
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, e808 said:

Respectfully, not sure about the Nate  Craig- Myers analog. He rarely got to show case his skills and did more blocking than anything . Eli got more shine because of his jet sweep ability. Nate was in the wrong offense 

Here is my point, NCM was once the #1 receiver in his class.  Not 20th, 30th or 40th -- the "experts" ranked him numero uno.  Everyone wanted him.   He had 100 commutable offers.  He ultimately settled in as the number 3 HS receiver.   The young man played 6 years of college football for 3 different teams -- 3 at AU, 2 at Colorado State and 1 at UCF.  You say he "rarely got to showcase his skills."  I respectfully disagree -- He had 6 years to showcase his skills.  In his career he averaged less than 100 yards receiving per year.   100 yards receiving is a good game, not a good year.   Sometimes the jilted ones just want it more than the ones that everyone wants.   I bet you a hot biscuit Mr. Sorey has a better career.   Bet? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He ran the 11.54 back in May of 2021 which means he could be faster now.  I am not trying to say he has elite speed but with  a little improvement on the 11.54 he will have solid speed.  The top NFL receiver of all time was Jerry Rice his 40 time was 4.71 not exactly a speed demon. In no way am I trying to compare this young man to Jerry Rice as Jerry was special and few can duplicate what he did. My point is speed while nice is not all that is used when looking at a WR.  So far the composite services have him as a 4* which means either they mis-rated him or he is a good receiver.  Of course we want elite WR's but if you can't get an elite WR this is the type you need.

I don't know if he will develop into a solid WR for Auburn, eventually get moved to safety if he doesn't work out at WR or hit the transfer portal in the future nobody does, but I do know he fits a need and as a 4*.  I just know that right now some people just look for any reason to try and make our recruiting look bad. What is sad is if you look at the number of recruits who on the whole are very solid recruits it is bad without people trying to make the individual players who we have recruited look bad. You can't sugar coat 7 recruits if we get this young man on Friday 8 recruits when most teams have at least 15 and top teams have more with even higher player rating.

I am hoping a very good season will help recruiting but even with a very good season I realize with all the players we have missed on even if we flip a few we will not be near where we need to be in recruiting this year.  What a good season should do is help stop the negative recruiting and help us in Portal and 2024 class.

1) 11.54 is slow for an SEC WR. Yes, he can improve and get faster - but this isn't a skill that is generally very coachable, and you're certainly not going to make a slow runner "fast". You have to understand that there are HS girls who ran faster than 11.54 in 2021. We are talking about an SEC WR here; speed is important and for very good reason. If he was 6'4 or 6'5 this would be less of a concern, but he's not.

2) Jerry Rice running a 4.71 is a complete myth. You can read several sources/articles which discuss this. There are multiple sources that had him running in the ~4.55-4.59 range or faster. This entire story was propagated to tie into the entire mystique that Rice was this "ultimate worker" who became the best despite limited tools. It's just not true. 

3) This kid's rating has been steadily dropping for months now, and depending on how the next few updates go he may not even retain 4-star status. So using his ranking as proof of his ability doesn't say what you think it does, because he is actually on a DOWNWARD trajectory in terms of ranking. For example, he was a Top 100 player at one point on 247, and he's now #188. Rivals had him at #134 at one point, and now he's Unranked on there. On3 has him as the #99 WR in this class, which is very low.

This is a kid who was seen as an elite recruit in 2021, who is now being viewed as a non-take by multiple teams. Obviously that is a bit concerning, because it could imply that his development has stagnated. You want guys who are getting better, not becoming less and less sought after.  

I understand getting excited over landing a "4-star" player, but the underlying storyline matters too. It's kind of funny to me that we've seemingly forgotten that we rightfully criticized Malzahn for "padding his recruiting rankings" with guys like this who had positional questions or other concerns, but now we're supposed to be excited because it's a different coach potentially doing the same thing? This is actually the exact type of player that we DIDN'T like when Malzahn recruited: everyone else of note is only looking at him as a Safety, but we're going to take him as a WR. That sounds like a lot of 4-stars that Malzahn signed, that turned out to be duds.

• Haha 1

Malzhan got criticized for two things

1: He never utilized his guys to the best of their skillset.

2. He didn't prioritized certain positions enough

From a limited sample size, this coaching staff has shown that they want to develop players at the position they are recruiting them for. The previous coach was not doing that stuff. So let's stop with the revisionary history. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Malzhan got criticized for two things

1: He never utilized his guys to the best of their skillset.

2. He didn't prioritized certain positions enough

From a limited sample size, this coaching staff has shown that they want to develop players at the position they are recruiting them for. The previous coach was not doing that stuff. So let's stop with the revisionary history. 

No, man.

There was also a very real criticism of him recruiting "Athletes" with good star ratings, who ended up not having positional homes and therefore never contributing. Often times he was sticking these kids at the positions where they wanted to play, in order to get them to sign with us. I mean I'm sure I could pull up a lot of posts from people talking about how his recruiting classes were inflated with these types of kids.

If everyone else thinks this kid is only worth playing at Safety, why are we getting excited over the thought of him playing WR? Bryan Harsin knows something that these other coaches don't? Or do you think it's simply a case where we really have few if any other options, so we're taking the kid because beggars can't be choosers and we still have an entire class to fill out?

I can also point out to you that there was a lot of press built up in Harsin recruiting for "NFL measurables". But if you look at some of the recent targets we're turning to, you'll see that we are starting to move well past that. This kid's speed most certainly isn't in line with Pto measurables. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Arguing over maybe getting a commitment from a 4* damn who would have thunk it

Especially since they can't recruit 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DAG said:

The thing is apparently he was their recruit but he does not want to play the position that they want him to play..That does not make him less of a recruit or a sloppy second. So ridiculous. This guy is so good he is considered a 4 wr and the top schools in the nation also want him primarily at defensive back. He wants to bet on himself at WR. That is those schools loss. It use to be "we need more recruits." Then "All we get is 3 stars." Now "we need to stop getting the top schools back ups." Holy crap.

Winner!! 

I seem to remember a fairly decent RB that didn’t want to play LB for another team. Worked out pretty well for AU. 

• Like 3

I see why teams want him at safety. He plays that position well because he has good hands and tackles well. Also has good anticipation on where the ball is going but all those things would make him a good receiver too minus tackling which Id trade for blocking. Looks to have good speed to me and locates the ball over his shoulder well too. 

Isnt he atleast 6' or 6'1? What's not to like?

• Like 1

Hasn't it been said it'd be nice if some of these 4 star kids would wise up and seek immediate playing time elsewhere (us) versus riding the bench behind 5 stars at UGA and UAT? AND, in the process weaken some of the incredible depth those two juggernauts enjoy? At best, Ike Hilliard transforms this motivated kid into a productive player. At worst, he ends up at safety anyway. Only this time, he's grateful in the knowledge that Auburn gave him his one shot at WR. Yes we need top tier playmakers. But equally important, we need DEPTH. This kid potentially offers it at two different positions. That's a bonus if you ask me. Gotta start somewhere.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I see why teams want him at safety. He plays that position well because he has good hands and tackles well. Also has good anticipation on where the ball is going but all those things would make him a good receiver too minus tackling which Id trade for blocking. Looks to have good speed to me and locates the ball over his shoulder well too. 

Isnt he atleast 6' or 6'1? What's not to like?

He's listed at 6'2" but apparently that's not that tall...

Smh

• POSWR
  • HEIGHT6-2
  • WEIGHT 185

Three-sport athlete (football, basketball, and track and field). Took fifth in the high jump (5-11 3/4) at the FHSAA 1A state track meet as a sophomore. Ran an 11.54 100 and long jumped 20-3 during sophomore season, as well.

2021: Transferred into Chipley (Fla.) from nearby Graceville. Got snaps on both sides of the ball. Credited with 753 yards of total offense (546 receiving) and eight touchdowns in 13 games. He also returned a pair of punts for touchdowns while totaling 28 tackles, nine pass break ups and four interceptions on defense.

Edited by Randman5000
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 1:49 PM, Didba said:

Because being right about Harsin is more important to him than Auburn being a successful program.

I hope your ability to comprehend other situations in life is better than what you demonstrate on this message board.

Edited by Mikey
  • Haha 1

• Sizzle changed the title to 2023 4 star Daquayvious Sorey|| commitment watch August 26th
On 8/24/2022 at 5:15 PM, Mikey said:

I hope your ability to comprehend other situations in life is better than what you demonstrate on this message board.

I hope this is a joke. My word.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I hope this is a joke. My word.

No it's not a joke. Did you bother to read what he wrote? Apparently somebody told that guy he is a mind reader. That bit of information was incorrect.

On 8/23/2022 at 3:47 PM, metafour said:

If everyone else thinks this kid is only worth playing at Safety, why are we getting excited over the thought of him playing WR? Bryan Harsin knows something that these other coaches don't? Or do you think it's simply a case where we really have few if any other options, so we're taking the kid because beggars can't be choosers and we still have an entire class to fill out?

WE have ROOM galore, may as well bring this 4* in and give him an honest shot at WR.  If worst comes to worst and it doesn't work out.....We have a Safety.

We have few options and seriously need to fill the roster to the max while the 25 signee cap has been waved.  

• Like 2

12:12 p.m. CT: 4-star WR Daquayvious Sorey of Chipley (Fla.) has committed to Auburn.

6FF27D51-4A26-435A-B357-BF269904A02B.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Top247 WR Daquayvious Sorey commits to Auburn

20 minutes ago

Campbellton (Fla.) Chipley Top247 receiver Daquayvious Sorey announced his commitment to Auburn on Friday afternoon during a live broadcast on the 247Sports YouTube Channel.

Sorey chose the Tigers over his other finalists in Alabama, Florida and Miami. He becomes commit No. 8 for head coach Bryan Harsin and his staff in the 2023 recruiting cycle.

“Really Coach Harsin man,” Sorey said. “I love Coach Harsin. I want to play for him. They got a plan for me in the future going to the league and helping me out and my family.”

Sorey is a former Georgia commit who reopened the process back in February. Ike Hilliard and David Whitlow led the charge in recruiting Sorey to The Plains.

“The environment and the community, it’s real peaceful and chill,” Sorey said, adding he loves the fanbase too.

“Auburn is a good school. Coach Harsin, I like the way they run their offense. They like to throw it a lot. I can see myself being one of the top dogs there.”

1COMMENTS

Sorey is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation’s No. 22 receiver and No. 188 prospect overall. He had 753 yards of total offense and eight touchdowns as a junior and 247Sports National Analyst Andrew Ivins is high on Sorey’s potential.

“A big-framed skill player that has found ways to impact the game in all three phases on Friday nights,” Ivins wrote in his evaluation. “Limited verified data available, but seems to be accurately listed at 6-foot-2, 190 pounds. Could, however, eventually get up to over 215 pounds once lifting and eating college. Viewed by many as a wide receiver long term, and for good reason as he can not only make acrobatic catches on the outside, but pick up chunks of yardage when the ball is in his hands as he weaves his way through traffic and bounces off defenders. Usually one of the most explosive players on the field at the prep level and seems capable of finding a top-end gear, which makes sense given track and basketball background (took 5th at Florida’s 1A track meet in the high jump as a sophomore). Created separation in the Sunshine State’s lowest classification on offense as a junior totaling 563 receiving yards. Also returned a pair of punts for touchdowns. Definitely has the skill set to emerge as a WR1 or WR2 type in a pro-style attack, but could also probably make a difference on defense at the Power Five level having watched him move around on the 7-on-7 circuit as he’s fluid in his backpedal and understands how to play angles. Overall, should be viewed as a plus athlete with upside. Likely will need some time to adjust to the speed and demands of college football, but should be in the two-deep sooner rather than later if he can quickly take to coaching and avoid setbacks.”

• Like 1
  • Love 1