Allen Greene Out as AD

JerryAU

I think this happened sometime ago. He was a no-show to a tiger unlimited golf tournament supposedly and had not been seen in his office in months. 

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think this happened sometime ago. He was a no-show to a tiger unlimited golf tournament supposedly and had not been seen in his office in months. 

He wasn't seen in his office during Covid, which was a long time ago.

God I hope whoever in a position of power that has had daggers for AG for the last yr or two know what they are doing and have a solid plan if they are going to replace him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Who hates Greene? 

Whomever in the Administration that has chosen to string him along knowing his contract expiration in on the horizon.  Whomever in the Administration that has allowed rumors to swirl about his job retention for over a year.  That person(s) obviously have a beef with the man.  I just hope they have a solid person to replace him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

He wasn't seen in his office during Covid, which was a long time ago.

God I hope whoever in a position of power that has had daggers for AG for the last yr or two know what they are doing and have a solid plan if they are going to replace him. 

He will be replaced and it's been public knowledge for a while. He's been job hunting almost as long as he's been working at Auburn. 

Plenty of rumors, per the usual at AU, but I just think the job here and all the fun that comes with it may not have been for him. 

Both sides are gonna save face and we probably go make a typical hire for us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Gouge wanted the new president to be able to make the decision and hire his own AD if the new president were to decide not to retain Greene.  I think that is fair and in the best interest of Auburn for Gouge to do that.

Absolutely!

Now we'll see who Robert's has in mind.  Prayers sent he already has his person and it's a good one. 

Students loved him, players in the big 2 sports seemed to love him. Real shame to lose out on a guy with the charisma he had 

I would think it’s an absolute we get more of a good ol boy type replacement 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 3
  • Angry 1

Allen Greene out as Auburn athletic director

9 minutes ago

Just over a week out from the start of Bryan Harsin’s second Auburn football season, the athletic director who hired him is out of the picture.

Auburn and athletic director Allen Greene notified the university of a decision to "step away" this week to "pursue other professional interests," the university said in a release Friday. His final day on the job will be Aug. 31. Auburn chief operating officer Marcy Girton will serve as acting AD.

“The decision to step away from Auburn Athletics is not an easy one, but it is the right time for me to begin the next step in my professional journey,” Greene said. “I am very proud of the work that we have done together to move our athletics program forward. Christy and I want to thank the Auburn Family for allowing us to be a part of something truly unique and I wish Auburn nothing but the best in the years ahead. I’m confident we leave Auburn Athletics stronger than when we arrived.”

ESPN's Pete Thamel first reported Friday afternoon that Greene and Auburn had more seriously entered "negotiations regarding his imminent departure from the school."

Greene’s contract was set to expire in January, and Greene did not mention this offseason, during discussions with reporters, any progress on an extension.

Hired in January 2018, the 44-year-old Greene replaced Jay Jacobs as AD. Greene came to Auburn after two years as the athletic director at Buffalo, where he also worked three years in a deputy AD role under Danny White, now at Tennessee.

A baseball player at Notre Dame, Greene also held positions at his alma mater and Ole Miss earlier in his career.

Steven Leath was the Auburn University president who hired Greene. He also worked under Jay Gogue, who retired earlier this year and was replaced by former Auburn dean of engineering Christopher Roberts. He officially took office in May.

“There’s a lot of nuance, a lot of change in our industry, and I’m really looking forward to being part of his team as he looks to take Auburn from here to here,” Greene said of Roberts in May.

During his tenure, Greene was involved in the hiring of new head coaches for Auburn football, women's basketball, swimming and diving, volleyball and women's tennis. He also helped orchestrate a pair of contract extensions for men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl, as well as baseball coach Butch Thompson and women's basketball coach Terri Williams-Flournoy.

Harsin led the coaching search that ended with Auburn hiring Harsin in December 2020 after a successful seven years at Boise State. Harsin went 6-7 in his first season on the Plains, and the university launched an "inquiry" into his program in February that left Harsin's job status in limbo for a week until the decision was made to retain him.

5COMMENTS

At an NIL event, Greene chatted with Auburn247 reporters just last month about his excitement for the start of the fall athletic season at Auburn.

Auburn Undercover will update this story. Check back for additional information.

Greene's departure will be a huge loss for Auburn IMO. I'd hoped this was the typical Pete Thalmel story - not based on fact or truth.

Edited by aucanucktiger
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 3

I also think it’s an absolute that if Harsin doesn’t match whatever expectations the boosters have, his a** is grass. I personally hope he retains his job with how this recruiting class is coming together, but with both the tenured President and AD that stood up for him now gone…

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Whomever in the Administration that has chosen to string him along knowing his contract expiration in on the horizon.  Whomever in the Administration that has allowed rumors to swirl about his job retention for over a year.  That person(s) obviously have a beef with the man.  I just hope they have a solid person to replace him. 

I doubt it. Greene certainly hasn't been perfect, but I think he's done a pretty good job overall. I also think he has represented Auburn well. I imagine we will hire some good ole boy, and Auburn will look like Auburn. Then Harsin gets fired after this year (probably for anything less than strong contention for the SEC title), and we hire someone with 'Auburn ties' and the s*** show continues. SMH.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 3

Not a surprise since it’s been rumored that the boosters wanted him out. It’s a shame though. He’s generally been a good AD. Really seemed on the same page with the students and coaches. I just hope Auburn doesn’t JABA his replacement. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Greene's departure would be a huge loss for Auburn. I'm hoping this is the typical Pete Thalmel story - not based on fact or truth - but Im afraid this time it's partly accurate.

Its done.

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I also think it’s an absolute that if Harsin doesn’t match whatever expectations the boosters have, his ass is grass. I personally hope he retains his job with how this recruiting class is coming together, but with both the tenured President and AD that stood up for him now gone…

It's nut cutting time for sure. 

There will be a lot of transition in store for AU faithful in the next 6 months. 

• Like 1

I like the man. Just seems like another black eye for AU but whatever. I am not in the athletic department so I don’t know what he did or did not do. Also I do not know what went down when Harsin was hired, but it probably has something to do with that and the NIL being a disaster. This is an absolute guess on my part. No idea…

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Today, President Roberts named Auburn Athletics Chief Operating Officer Marcy Girton as Acting Athletics Director.

Marcy is the front runner....mark it. It doesn't mean she's the presumptive AD, but she is well respected inside the walls. There will be others involved in the process.