Allen Greene Out as AD

JerryAU

4 hours ago, DAG said:

The funny thing is the people jumping about this and praying that CBH is gone after next year will be the one filling up the forum with crap threads when we won’t get an established guy here. I already see we will probably hire within for the AD job. I’m guessing some who either graduated from here or has major ties with folks from within. That will be domino number 1. 

I think y'all know I don't think we need an "established guy" (Aranda et al.). But hiring someone with major ties at AD is what we NEED--aren't we complaining about lack of alignment? Rooting hard for Girton here.

Edited by AUwent

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I think y'all know I don't think we need an "established guy" (Aranda et al.). But hiring someone with major ties at AD is what we NEED--aren't we complaining about lack of alignment? Rooting hard for Girton here.

That is fine but don't whine with thus person hires a football coach with Auburn ties as well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Didba said:

Re: the budget issues laid at Green’s feet 

From what I have been told, the budget was given to ADAG and he had no control over the spending. He was told here’s your budget Spend less and

he couldn’t tell other coaches “hey sorry the buyout from the football program is affecting the budget every where else.” My conjecture as to the reason for the low budget. 

In other words, Greene was setup to fail from day one. The question is, why? 

There can be no progress without self-reflection.

The-5-Whys (1).png

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

The situation at Utah and Boise were worlds apart. Boise was already built as a super power I'm the Mt west. They had the recruiting, the national exposure, etc. Even with the deck heavily stacked in his favor, he only had 1 season with 0 conferences losses, would yearly lose games he should win. Harsin was just ok. He didn't dominate like he should have. 

Utah by contrast was a decent but nothing special program in the mtwest. Urban took them to greatness. He took a losing record team to 10-2 in year 1 and then in year 2 smoked major P5 competition to a perfect season ranked 4th.

Harsin had 1 season as big time football at UTA then bolted for a downgraded job. Harsin was at Boise for 6 years. Urban 2 at Utah. They literally couldn't have the same record.  

But maybe you meant to include bowling green in your urban discussion where he took a winless bowling green coached by good ol Leoffler to an 8-3 team the next year. 

Let's not pretend in any world that Hardin and urban belong in the same conversation on ability and results. 

The guy still had to maintain his own program. Look how Florida fell off after Meyer left... 

Respectfully, that dog simply does not hunt. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

The situation at Utah and Boise were worlds apart. Boise was already built as a super power I'm the Mt west. They had the recruiting, the national exposure, etc. Even with the deck heavily stacked in his favor, he only had 1 season with 0 conferences losses, would yearly lose games he should win. Harsin was just ok. He didn't dominate like he should have. 

Utah by contrast was a decent but nothing special program in the mtwest. Urban took them to greatness. He took a losing record team to 10-2 in year 1 and then in year 2 smoked major P5 competition to a perfect season ranked 4th.

Harsin had 1 season as big time football at UTA then bolted for a downgraded job. Harsin was at Boise for 6 years. Urban 2 at Utah. They literally couldn't have the same record.  

But maybe you meant to include bowling green in your urban discussion where he took a winless bowling green coached by good ol Leoffler to an 8-3 team the next year. 

Let's not pretend in any world that Hardin and urban belong in the same conversation on ability and results. 

Thank you thank you thank you. Any comparison of Harsin and Meyer is insanely stupid. It's not like Boise fell off a cliff but they were no longer a national brand--the kind of stature you need to make up for not having any regional experience on the recruiting trail, which Meyer undoubtedly had after going 22-2 at some nobody school and making them the first BCS buster.

Edited by AUwent

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is fine but don't whine with thus person hires a football coach with Auburn ties as well.

Sorry to DP but you know I'm more than okay with that.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Sorry to DP but you know I'm more than okay with that.

So you would be fine with Rhett Lashlee being HC? Kevin Steele? Will Muschamp? 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Seems like everyone agrees on the problem, but disagrees on the potential solutions. Auburn is a great place, and everyone loves it, but we're hindered by deep-rooted issues of greed, power, and in-fighting. As many have said, if we could get our house in order we'd be a force. Unfortunately, many are not willing to put their egos aside for the greater good. 

Edited by au302
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

If anyone says yes to this they should be tarred and feathered. Like Bird, minus the tar of course. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NoALtiger said:

If anyone says yes to this they should be tarred and feathered. Like Bird, minus the tar of course. :) 

And those are just extreme examples of course. I just don't trust an out of the box type hire, if we get another typical Auburn like AD.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I definitely don't want any of those three. My top two *realistic* choices, however, are Auburn alums. Both of whom I think could be our Sam Pittman...or, to provide an alternate metaphor, football's Butch Thompson.

Edited by AUwent

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

And those are just extreme examples of course. I just don't trust an out of the box type hire, if we get another typical Auburn like AD.

It won't happen.

Just now, AUwent said:

I definitely don't want any of those three. My top two *realistic* choices, however, are Auburn alums.

Who?

I definitely don't want any of those three. My top two *realistic* choices, however, are Auburn alums. Both of whom I think could be our Sam Pittman...or, to provide an alternate metaphor, Butch Thompson for football.

I see...Dare I ask who? Do I really want to know haha

Just now, AUwent said:

I thought you did. Dell and Travis.

Oh yes, yes you did tell me that. My apologies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I thought you did. Dell and Travis.

Dell McGee or Travis Williams?

Edited by Didba

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well-and I’m just kinda hoping and trying to take a different angle here- but I’d love to see a scenario where maybe some common ground could be made with the “right” AD here and a situation where said AD can bring everyone together as well as keep Harsin. I know it’s a long shot but I’d love a story where a Michelle McKenna (for example) comes in, gets all the big spenders and BOT in board, and then is able to get Harsin the support required. All that to simply say it’s possible to bring in another AD and still keep Harsin, at least give him a short leash to make progress lol. 

• Love 2

Moving forward I still think Michelle McKenna-Doyle would be a great fit if she interviews, however, if General Burgess gets the nod I would still think that is a fantastic hire.  I understand that would be within the administration and would receive eye-rolls but this is my reasoning:

Like Bird said a few pages ago, if the Army has enough respect and trust to make him a General, I think he would be a great fit to call the shots here.  Like any veteran, if he commits to something, he will see it through.  I also think his personality and expectations would mesh really well with Harsin.  Both are no nonsense people and value hard work.  I think if Harsin has the opportunity to really thrive under Burgess.  It could be exactly what he needs.  Just my opinion though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well-and I’m just kinda hoping and trying to take a different angle here- but I’d love to see a scenario where maybe some common ground could be made with the “right” AD here and a situation where said AD can bring everyone together as well as keep Harsin. I know it’s a long shot but I’d love a story where a Michelle McKenna (for example) comes in, gets all the big spenders and BOT in board, and then is able to get Harsin the support required. All that to simply say it’s possible to bring in another AD and still keep Harsin, at least give him a short leash to make progress lol. 

I'd cry tears of joy.

• Like 2

yes this would be optimal, especially if the general did indeed "hire" him. That would be the great.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Dell McGee or Travis Williams?

Uh... How is that better than Harsin?

They're both know the region like the backs of their hands. Believed by important HS coaches, players, and college coaches (meaning, I'm confident they could assemble killer staffs--certain in Dell's case, actually). Both would get along well with the power brokers. It all adds up to that I believe the NIL $ would get into gear and our recruiting would get back on track. Again, look at the landscape and you'll see that their qualifications are no longer dealbreakers even in the SEC--two coaches of similar profiles currently coach in the league, one (coming off his second year) has performed miracles in turning his program around and the other (just coming off his first year) has his program on a very positive trajectory that I think we would've killed to have this offseason. If you want to use a different metaphor, look at what Butch Thompson has done for our baseball program.

It would be better if we have a completely out of nowhere season this year that results in our recruiting being turned around and Harsin staying long term, of course.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

General or McKenna seem like great hires at first glance.

• Like 3

They're both know the region like the backs of their hands. Believed by important HS coaches, players, and college coaches (meaning, I'm confident they could assemble killer staffs--certain in Dell's case, actually). Both would get along well with the power brokers. It all adds up to that I believe the NIL $ would get into gear and our recruiting would get back on track. Again, look at the landscape and you'll see that their qualifications are no longer dealbreakers even in the SEC--two coaches of similar profiles currently coach in the league, one (coming off his second year) has performed miracles in turning his program around and the other (just coming off his first year) has his program on a very positive trajectory that I think we would've killed to have this offseason. Even Notre Dame made a similar hire.

My only concern is lack of HC experience for Williams but everything else I actually agree with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

General or McKenna seem like great hires at first glance.

Absolutely. It may not be a popular opinion to some, but you can have AU ties and NOT be a “good ole boy”. There can be some reasonable middle ground where all parties win, that’s how we unite everyone imo. 

• Love 1
  • Dislike 1